Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding infinity: Seven ways to focus on the night stars

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of other cameras but my Canon T2i has a Live View function for taking photos and there is a small white rectangle that is the focus area - you can move that area all around the screen using the arrow keys.

Wherever you put it will be the primary focus point and will also be magnified when you use the zoom function. It provides more options than the limited number of sensor points available when using the camera as a DSLR.

I use it with a hood for the LED screen. Compose the image, move the white rectangle to the area you want sharpest, zoom in 10x and manually focus the lens.

It's an older camera by digital standards, I'm certain other cameras have similar functions. Very handy for adapting vintage manual focus lenses for one thing. I've even done it handheld, since an eye is usually the focal point for a portrait. If the eye is sharp and in the frame you can take the shot - the composition does not change when you zoom in.

And, I love that photo too!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

As long as it allows you to easily see the stars and zoom in on them, that's the way to go. It's arguably the most accurate, I think.