Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Woke up this morning (Sopranos theme)

I've been re-watching "The Sopranos" (which by the way, holds up incredibly well) and am wondering about the instrumentation of "Woke up this morning," which plays during the opening credits. And I find myself wondering about the source of some of the incidental sounds that occur at different points. For example, at one point there is a distinctly metallic sound. But there are a few other interesting sounds, and I can't identify what is creating the sounds.

I looked up the wikipedia entry, but it wasn't particularly helpful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke_Up_This_Morning

At this site, https://www.songfacts.com/facts/alabama-3/woke-up-this-morning, I came across this tidbit:

As detailed in the liner notes for the album, this song samples "Tell Me" by Howlin' Wolf, "Standing at the Burying Ground" by Mississippi Fred McDowell, and "Mannish Boy" by Muddy Waters. Howlin' Wolf, under his real name Chester Burnett, is a credited writer on the song along with four members of Alabama 3.

But that doesn't really help explain the sounds I am wondering about.

Anyone have any ideas? I think what I'm hearing might be generated from a synth or some kind of sampling, but not sure.

I realize this is somewhat vague. If necessary, I'll try to identify the specific portions of the song I am wondering about.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That song is a great track and a brilliant use of samples. :thu:

One day I'm going to crack open my "The Sopranos" DVD boxset. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that show. HBO at its finest. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The late 90s was an interesting time for electronic music. There was a healthy mix of samples, hyped drum loops and VA synthesis (with some acoustic parts thrown in for good measure). There were a significant amount of radio hits with either no vocals, or samples. Woke Up This Morning is one of those songs that straddled the line between Electronic music and Rock music.

I really dug artists like Moby, Dust Brothers, The Crystal Method, etc..... It was a fun time to be an electronic music enthusiast at the time. OF course, like everything else it became over saturated and evolved into something else.

Always loved the drums on this one:

[video:youtube]

Anyone have any ideas?

If this is important to you, I would try contacting any of the members of Alabama 3 through social media if you can find them. Long shot, but might work.

Also, scour the internet for any interviews that might exist with the band.

:nopity:

One day I'm going to crack open my "The Sopranos" DVD boxset. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that show. HBO at its finest. :cool:

Definitely! That and 'The Wire."

Hope I didn"t derail here :)

Definitely! That and 'The Wire."

Hope I didn"t derail here :)

Not to further derail but "Oz" was well done too. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I still can't watch anything on HBO without thinking Woke Up This Morning begins after HBO's bumper.

And since The Wire has come up in the conversation, their 'best theme ever' kept getting better with each season & version.

Here for the gear.

The liner notes aren't any help. "The Spirit" is listed as the keyboard player and other than the already identified samples there aren't any clues. The whole cd is worth your time.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Can you

The liner notes aren't any help. "The Spirit" is listed as the keyboard player and other than the already identified samples there aren't any clues. The whole cd is worth your time.

I'd even settle for identifying where the samples mentioned appear in the tune. For example, in what part of the tune should we be able to hear a sample from "Mannish boy?"

My interest in this topic is as much as an exercise in ear-training as anything else.

Maybe the samples are layered on top of each other to the point where it's really not that easy to single them out?

I still can't watch anything on HBO without thinking Woke Up This Morning begins after HBO's bumper..

This is so true! :D Has happened to me ever since it first aired.

By the way, I also started binge-re-watching it from the beginning. Still incredible all around.

Anyone have any ideas? I think what I'm hearing might be generated from a synth or some kind of sampling, but not sure.

Not sure but I think I hear Muddy Waters' voice at about 2.36 seconds in. I think that the "peaky" synth at 2.40 is a va, with a resonant HPF through distortion. B3 could be a sample or real. But I am guessing. Fred McDowell had a song called "woke up this morning with my mind on Jesus" and it looks like the Alabama 3 are riffing on that idea.

If necessary, I'll try to identify the specific portions of the song I am wondering about.

That would be fun. :thu: