Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Keeping your mind young.

I know that a good percentage of forum members are, ummm, advanced in experience of years. (Getting old.) Are you taking any steps to keep your mind active and young? My dad stayed sharp up until the end. My mom developed dementia, as did half of her brothers and sisters. It has made me very aware of the problem of memory loss while aging. I've also read that hearing loss, a condition suffered by many musicians, can contribute to mental degradation while aging because the person become less engaged with others and the environment. If it comes my way, dementia is going to have to fight. I'm doing everything I can to keep my mind fresh, and I am wondering what others are doing. Here is my current program.

* Learning new musical instruments. I have always enjoyed playing multiple instruments. Once I reach a comfortable place with guitar and bass I have a few other instruments in the closet ready to learn. Harmonica, banjo, flute, dulcimer and yes, even a didgeridoo. I also have my eye on one of those plastic trombones. When I start learning to play maybe I will start a trombone thread.

* Online learning sites. Youtube is great for learning new things. Knitting, crocheting, origami, etc... I'm picking up several new hobbies. I also subscribed to The Great Courses Plus. A monthly fee gets me lectures, mostly from college professors, covering astronomy, physics, calculus, photography, bird watching and hundreds of other areas. A tip on The Great Courses, buying a subscription from them is $20 a month. Amazon has a version for $8 a month. I changed to the Amazon version.

* Diving deeper into hobbies. I'm trying to really become educated in photography along with learning Photoshop and Lightroom. Also learning to throw, as in a yoyo. We don't say that we are yoyoing. We call it throw. There are some great online sites with progressions through trick lists.

* Puzzles. In 1977 I bought a Rubik's Cube and a book. The next day I was going around showing everyone that I could solve a cube in under three minutes. Don't laugh, there were no quality speed cubes back then, nor did we have internet access with videos on speed solving. Now I am trying to learn again and it has taken much more time to memorize the modern method.

So what are you doing to keep your mind fresh? Seriously, you need to start now. I'm always looking for ideas.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are you doing to keep your mind fresh?

The neverending quest for knowledge and information seems to be working for me. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

For the generation of people who raised me, the beginning of the end was when they were robbed of their physical mobility - eg. being able to walk. My grandfather was a primary example. His mind was sharp - as was his tongue, Lord bless him - until his knees went bad. Then he couldn't do all the traveling he used to, or do his activities in the garden or garage - all he could do was spend his days sitting in front of his TV. It all went downhill for him after that.

I still have a ways to go before I retire, so my day job plus other activities exercises m mind enough. Will let y'all know after I retire.

I"m 66, retired, but teach keyboards and music theory part time at the School of Rock in retirement. Being around kids from 8 to 18 keeps me mentally young and active, as does constantly learning new songs! And I spend plenty of time outdoors hiking and working on our horse property keeping trails clear. I"ve had two open heart surgeries to repair congenital defects, the most recent in 2019, so I keep as active as possible. I find just being outside a lot helps tremendously with mental health!

Oh, and edited to add I chose my screen name for a reason. I read a lot. Mostly science books.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Playing an instrument is an excellent hobby for mental sharpness, especially creating original music and improvising. Years ago, I saw an interesting video that showed brain activity during different tasks and improvisational music playing lit the brain up more than reading or basically anything else.

I also think VR gaming will open exciting new doors for mental stimulation. It will allow people who are physically limited to continue to experience new and amazing things, if nothing else it sure beats sitting in a chair and watching wheel of fortune and NCIS reruns day after day.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

So what are you doing to keep your mind fresh? Seriously, you need to start now. I'm always looking for ideas.

I start learning to play piano at 70 so I'm a year in. Part of the reason was to exercise my brain and hands. I figure being a beginner on a totally new instrument would give me lots to think about, new ways to look and think about music. I am starting to think about things in a pianistic way versus guitar/bass. The one thing that is not coming as fast as I'd like is spacial recognition for grabbing chords without looking. I know on guitar practicing sightreading help develop spacial recognition and fretboard relationships. Practice sightreading piano single line stuff I am getting pretty good at spacial recognition. Sightreading two clefs is still a major PIA at this point.

I'm having a good time working on piano and listening to music from a different point of view I think it helps me keep thinking young as compared to others my age I talk to, who have become stereotype old fogies. Until Covid I went to the gym 5 days a week and that helps a lot too. I have a number of health issues, but deal with things better than others in my age group. Going to the gym gets the credit for that.

So I believe keeping the mind and body active is a benefit.

I still love video gaming though I wear out quicker on particular games. I tend to like complex strategy games or role-playing ones with some depth in skills/items etc so I argue that my brain is getting a workout! I don't touch the twitch shooters my kids play with a pole, for one thing I suck mightily at them. My current favorite is Total War: Warhammer 2...it's like Civilization with a humungous map with real-time army combat and I love Warhammer stuff to begin with!

Problem with VR--I get instantly and violently sick whenever I've tried it. I can manage to get sick playing games without VR. Forget any kind of ride like Mission:Space at Epcot...

speaking of keeping my mind sharp, I'm really working to cut back on drinking and trying to get back in shape. I have a couple old kayaks that have been sitting on my porch for a while, dry-rotted handles and all...looking to fix those up and get back out to the rivers and ocean (I used to love surf kayaking).

Really need to get on my guitars. No excuse.

I still like to read but I enjoy audiobooks more than reading these days, especially with a good voice actor.

Mission: Space is the only ride that ever made me sick. Didn't throw up but I had to sit down as soon as I got outside. That was before they created an easy mode. I also remember getting sea sick playing Doom years ago. I read that the issue was they tried to simulate walking by making the screen bounce a bit, like someone with bounce in their walk. I didn't know what was going on. Suddenly I was sweating and nauseous. Never had that happen in any other video game, but I also suck at shooters and normally avoid those.

As for audio books, I have a BUNCH of them. Was an Audible member for years on the 24 books per year plan, plus I bought sale books and bonuses when available. Finally canceled after getting way behind. Still have over 100 books that I have not listened to yet. The orator can make or break a book.

Music of all kinds (listening and playing), staying current with the news, streaming movies and TV series that are fun and stimulating to the imagination, and lots of time on Second Life interacting with friends from all over the world.

Oh, and lots and lots of discussions and arguments (NEVER fights) with my wife, who has kept me sharp and on my toes for over 30 years now, and I hope I do the same for her.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

i do a lot of genealogical research for people scattered around the globe, and also UK-based military research. I also belong to a local history forum for the city where I was born and occasionally do more research for my adopted home town. It really is a case of keeping your brain active. But get in a little physical exercise as well otherwise other medical problems result from sitting for too long. At 84 I can no longer perform due to Dupuytrens Syndrome and arthritis, but I keep an active interest in jazz and classical music by listening.

I have no idea to what extent mental exercise can stave off the problems of aging. There has to be some level of "use it or lose it" I'm convinced, but you can still lose it even if you use it. Having the right DNA seems to be the first-class ticket....

Having said that, it's worth a shot, anyway. I've read in various places that some brain activities are better suited to creating and/or sustaining those coveted neural pathways, while others aren't so well suited to the task. Activities that are truly different than what you are used to I've seen mentioned as one way to go. So, for a musician, picking up a new instrument might not be all that different than, say, a math-adverse sort tackling Calculus. A mystery writer might not get much bang for the buck working crosswords, but learning chess might do the trick.

Trivia contests whilst consuming large quantities of beer I consider a break-even proposition :)

nat

There is data that suggests our mental health as we age is correlated with our overall physical condition and stress management, as well as keeping the wheels challenged.

I believe I'm sharper than I might be at my age because I teach, and teach a heavy course load, continue to learn and challenge myself intellectually, and have compelling goals worth committing to that are long-term. I am unsure if I will every fully retire, as I enjoy building big things, contributing to the growth of others, and generally having a purpose and a reason to get up every morning. Maybe my perspective will change over time, but I still have so much I want to accomplish.

And I have become a strong believer of physical condition. I'm not in great shape, and have put myself on a path to turn that thing around - the hard part isn't staying disciplined right now, the hard part is how long it is taking to secure incremental gains.

But some big things to explore for me include Self Determination Theory (Deci and Ryan), Learned Optimism and the balance of Applied Positive Psychology (Seligman, et.al.), High Quality Connections and positive leadership in general, and the goal of having an influence on the evolution of a college business department.

Interestingly, music has taken a backseat in my motivations and goals. My wife is wearing the resources I had set aside for my first record, and I've not regretted that decision for an instant. I figure soon my heart will turn back to music, and writing, and saying things. This just hasn't been that season for me, and I fell like I want to follow where my heart and thoughts lead me these days.

I spent 9 years in one band and 5 years in the current one where the basic operational procedure was that the lead singer/strummer would just start playing songs (both of them know hundreds of songs).

In the first band, we practiced maybe 6 times and then the singer was always booked on Thurs, Fri, Sat so we didn't practice at all. No set list, no list of songs. I've played a few sets where I'd not only never played the songs before, I'd never heard them.

With the band I'm in now, we do practice every once in a while, last night we practiced because we have the first gig of this year. We'll be 20 feet away from the audience, attendance is intentionally lower and masks are required.

We had a set list 3 times in 5 years. All three times, we played the first one or two songs off the list and then the singer put his foot on the list and scooted it behind him so he could ignore it more easily.

That will keep you on your toes!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Join a bowling league ( IOW do something different]

create interesting meals

hang with positive people

exercise both sides of the brain

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I still love video gaming though I wear out quicker on particular games. I tend to like complex strategy games or role-playing ones with some depth in skills/items etc so I argue that my brain is getting a workout! I don't touch the twitch shooters my kids play with a pole, for one thing I suck mightily at them. My current favorite is Total War: Warhammer 2...it's like Civilization with a humungous map with real-time army combat and I love Warhammer stuff to begin with!

Problem with VR--I get instantly and violently sick whenever I've tried it. I can manage to get sick playing games without VR. Forget any kind of ride like Mission:Space at Epcot...

speaking of keeping my mind sharp, I'm really working to cut back on drinking and trying to get back in shape. I have a couple old kayaks that have been sitting on my porch for a while, dry-rotted handles and all...looking to fix those up and get back out to the rivers and ocean (I used to love surf kayaking).

Really need to get on my guitars. No excuse.

I still like to read but I enjoy audiobooks more than reading these days, especially with a good voice actor.

Some brilliant suggestions here. I too am a gamer, Destiny 2 is my go-to but love Civilisation. Total War: Warhammer 2 has me intrigued but am thankful it's a PC game only so I don't fall down that rabbit hole :)

I'm turning 61 this month, and by most accounts I am in good physical condition through having decent genes and (at least when they were open) making sure I hit the gym 4-5 days per week, with weights and cardio workout.

As most of the folks on the forum are men, I have read (and heard from my doctor) how important it is for men to maintain musculature as you age. Not that cardio is bad or unimportant, it's just that maintaining your muscle often gets overlooked.

I started hitting the weights at 50, and it goes a long way to feeling and looking fit and as youthful as possible.

All of the above mentioned activities are excellent, but the doctor I've been going to for the last 8 years or so has stressed the importance of 8-9 hours per night of restful sleep to stave off dimensia in later years (she's in her late 60's). I'm a night owl naturally, so it me a while to lock into getting in bed at a decent hour, but she said more and more studies are confirming just how important sleep is to future cognitive health.

Wow, 61 year old me thinks this is a great thread!

I think I'm doing most of what is suggested here. Doc gives me a clean bill of health. I play an agility sport (pickleball) 3-4 times a week. I do a bunch of different games and puzzles. I read a ton. I learn a lot of new music, rehearse, schlep gear and play out with different groups. Etc. Etc.

The few tiny bits I'd add? Consider various neuro supplements (off-topic for this forum). Travel and explore if you can. Have healthy relationships.

It all seems to be working, but it's early days. The real test comes in your 70s based on what I can observe.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

All of the above mentioned activities are excellent, but the doctor I've been going to for the last 8 years or so has stressed the importance of 8-9 hours per night of restful sleep to stave off dimensia in later years (she's in her late 60's). I'm a night owl naturally, so it me a while to lock into getting in bed at a decent hour, but she said more and more studies are confirming just how important sleep is to future cognitive health.

Yikes, that's frightening. I basically suck at sleeping. I don't even set my alarm clock anymore. The latest I'll sleep is 5:30 am, even if I go to bed at midnight. It's usually between 4:30 & 5:00 when I wake up, and I typically go to bed around 10 (although it's 10:15 right now). Guess I'd better work on that.

I have plenty work to keep me challenged, but am cutting back on social media because of the toxic nature of it. I walk a lot because I have 2 dogs and they punish me mercilessly if I try to skip their daily +/- 3 miles. I've been dieting since the beginning of the year. I've dropped 14 lbs, but could still stand to lose another 25.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I'll add to the list a subscription to macprovideo/askaudio where you can learn about the gear we have. The VSTs, the DAWs, the creative digital arts (Adobe Creative Cloud), and mooc.org (Massive Open Online Courses) - free college level courses, and I subscribed to Master Class for a couple of years. Did the Herbie course and many others. Great stuff to be had.

All you gamers may also want to consider subscribing to services like Xbox Game Pass for PC, Steam (rabbit hole alert), Epic Games, Origin, and so on. These provide lots of value for a small amount.

My wife and I both bought Oculus Quests for VR and I am constantly amazed at the VR "experiences" that allow you to put yourself in situations you never would in Real Life. Some great games too, but VR is still in its infancy.

Most people that I know who have motion sickness in VR get past it by slowly building up the time they spend in VR, starting with 5 minutes at a time, then 10 minutes, etc. building their VR legs up over time. Others swear by ginger and/or dramamine, and still others will sit down when in VR as opposed to standing. Strange is some get queasy sitting down and feel fine when standing. MAIN REASON: Korg Gadget is coming to VR !!!! A studio in VR. I look forward to the day when we can use VR/AR to take our studios with us wherever we go.

As streaming goes, I like the ones that have educational or historical content more than the movie services (we have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+ for the grandkid but I like it too), Coursera, Ted, and tons and tons of online learning sites.

I spend way more time on YouTube these days than I do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

(check out OneTab, an extension for YouTube that saves all your open YouTube tabs and windows down to a manageable one tab).

Also, Dr. Mike will probably attest, Second Life is another Rabbit Hole. I went in to make music and came out with wife #4. Someday 'll share the story. lol We still get on SL occasionally just for old times sake. Lots has changed.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Does riding an exercise bike while I watch sometimes dubious cinema count? I took off a few pounds, pedaling away during PBS's "Al Capone: ICON" documentary.

I'm a firm believer in steady reading, although I snicker and take two points from my own + column, since that currently includes "The Immortal Hulk." Sorry, but its wild and I'm hooked. I'm enjoying "The Mother Tongue (English and How It Got That Way)" by Bill Bryson. He not only connects linguistic & cultural precedents neatly, he's wry about it. Great fun.

I spend a few hours a week chipping away at one composition or another, with some days being rock-ish and others being more ambient. Its an ongoing pleasure and a bulwark against All That Crap. If I feel like a crepe, I do a little technical sharpening of a mix or jack up a few favorites in a patch library.

I just took a leap into Valhalla and Spitfire. If I'm still "young" enough mentally to tackle a real soft-orchestra, then the magnetic bottle is keeping my brain fusion humming along, SO FAR.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Less continued exposure to blue light is better; it's linked to mental deterioration similar to dementia. My only comment.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Lack of sleep is a big concern for me. I had brain surgery a few years ago to remove a blood clot and since then I wake up around 1 AM and cannot fall back asleep for a few hours. That is one of the reasons I retired. I was drinking 6 Pepsi's a day to stay awake at work. Now I can fall asleep around 4 or 5 AM and not worry about having to get up. I still get up around 8 AM but I go to bed early. Something I inherited from my dad and cannot get away from.

MacProVideo is a good idea. I've had that subscription a few times over the years and need to check it out again.

I am 61, and i am lucky that my daily job require learning everyday.

Music composition, for me, and for my groups (hoping to be able to meet them again :).

Other than this, a lot of tutorials on Logic Pro, Falcon, and all the others VIs i have.

And finally, the MIT course on quantum mecanics on youtube ;->

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Oh, one I forgot to mention I am learning Python programming. I was an excellent coder in college and loved it. Got caught up in management and never programmed again. Well, there was a short time that I decided to learn Visual Basic. Wow, what a change going from linear programming to visual.