Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Obie Might Be Back...

First, Tom Oberheim gets his name back from Gibson. Now, he's looking to trademark it:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021/03/01/tom-oberheim-applies-to-trademark-ob-xa-sem-dmx-xpander/

I don't know what this means in terms of product development. I've read speculation that Tom and Dave (Smith) might put the band back together. :D

Other than a couple letters of the alphabet, I doubt that Mr. Oberheim's trademark application will change that other dude's clone plans. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually quite excited about the GForce Obi VSTi that is being released. I always wanted a 4 voice or 8 voice, and GForce does a great job with their software creations. This new trend of creating polyphonic keyboards with individual voice tweaks is a nice advancement.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Other than a couple letters of the alphabet, I doubt that Mr. Oberheim's trademark application will change that other dude's clone plans. :laugh::cool:

Seems like Tom is more interested in stopping the other dude from using his name on the clones, rather than stopping the clones themselves from being made.

Tom is old and I doubt he will dive into creating re-issues much.

WHEN he had realized the SEM-X, phasor and ringmod,- I owned ´em all,- but he didn´t.

He´d better leave "re-issues" of his synth designs to the actual global players and grab some royalties.

The global players sell more items cheaper than he ever will w/ his more or less "one man" boutique company.

A.C.

He´d better leave "re-issues" of his synth designs to the actual global players and grab some royalties.

The global players sell more items cheaper than he ever will w/ his more or less "one man" boutique company.

You are aware that his "one man boutique" reissue products were sold globally through distributors, are you not?

And what royalties is he entitled to with all these Oberheim clones that all these "global players" are making? Unless they are using his trademarks - none.

"Global players" aren't eager to dole out royalties just to use his trademark. Do not confuse "cheaper" with "respect for innovation".

Remember when Yamaha acquired the Sequential Circuits trademarks? Roland acquired the Rhodes trademarks? Those didn't turn out so well.

It's a safe bet that when Tom is gone, his will bequeaths the trademarks to his survivors - his kids.

Seems like Tom is more interested in stopping the other dude from using his name on the clones, rather than stopping the clones themselves from being made.

Surely. But, it took him a long time in deciding to reclaim his name and trademark.

It's a safe bet that when Tom is gone, his will bequeaths the trademarks to his survivors - his kids.

So, you´re sure his kids are willing to run a hardware manufacturer company in future ?

A.C.

The Mars Incorporated heirs still oversee candy bars and pet food and they definitely live off the proceeds. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Surely. But, it took him a long time in deciding to reclaim his name and trademark.

He probably took his time until he realized what kind of personality the other dude has, and thus got a new sense of urgency to protect his name and legacy.

I'm actually quite excited about the GForce Obi VSTi that is being released. I always wanted a 4 voice or 8 voice, and GForce does a great job with their software creations. This new trend of creating polyphonic keyboards with individual voice tweaks is a nice advancement.

Got it. Will probably GearLab it once the wavestate thread and videos are done.

Check out the video Dave Spiers of GForce did about building a huge stacked sound on an Oberheim 8-Voice (he has one in perfect condition that is the prize of his studio). Watch all the way to the end... it's fascinating.

[video:youtube]

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

If Obie is able to bring the TVS Pro to fruition and be more successful wtih it this time around, that would be awesome.

Like Bob Moog before them, both Tom and Dave Smith will be able to do a victory lap around the analog synth resurgence. :cool:

PD

Looks like someone beat me to it, but I haven't watched the video above yet to make sure (still playing catchup today).

The still shot below proves the point beyond argument though, and is annotated within the article:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2021/03/04/oberheim-revives-the-two-voice-synth/

So now we know that the intent was to get the name back for actual hardware product releases after all. I'm kind of excited about the Two Voice.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager