Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap digitals for motel room when traveling

As travel becomes more possible, I'm thinking about a small keyboard to take on a road trip. Ideally , 4 octaves. This is just to keep my piano playing chops up so that my whole coordination/muscle tone "thing" is kept intact.

I've watched a YT review of a Casio Casiotone CT-S200. It's a candidate. But if anyone has other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'm thinking of up to $200-250. I don't expect the best sounding speakers. I'm thinking of something I could play sitting in bed with the keyboard sitting on a pillow in front of me.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 octaves?

Just about hands down Yamaha MX49. I cant think of anything else that small of that quality.

It has the Motif sound set and weighs 8 pounds.

I have one.I planned on using it with a Roland FP 10 as controller but since Covid I really am not gigging it so it could be available at very near your price point. PM if interested.

I wouldn't worry about speaker quality a whole lot. Any keyboard that has built-in speakers will always sound much better through headphones. There's a lot of inexpensive, new/used arranger boards out there to choose from. Pick the one with the best action.....(Haha) .... or maybe single out the ones with the worst action and avoid those.

Just about hands down Yamaha MX49. I cant think of anything else that small of that quality.

It has the Motif sound set and weighs 8 pounds.

Great board. But I think he wants something with speakers. BTW, it's not "the Motif sound set" per se, but it does consist of a subset of the sounds of the Motif XS (and with one effect per voice instead of two).

Dave, I'd check these two threads...

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3014975/casiotone-s300-as-really-cheap-travel-keyboard

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3060115/couch-board-besides-casiotone-go-keys

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I never knew the difference between the "subset" of Motif sounds and the actual thing. In advertising Yamaha reps have often referred to Motif sounds...Phil Clendenen etc.

As far as having speakers...is using headphones really an issue?

Anyway MX 49 the best 4 octave I am aware of

I get a lot of use out of the "couch rig" I mentioned in that thread (basically ct-s300 and ipad mini velcro'd and wired together...scroll down in second page for picture). After nine months, with the exception of the speaker quality (understandable at $130), I couldn't be happier for that purpose. Love having high quality sounds like Ivory for Module and Neo-Soul Keys.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I never knew the difference between the "subset" of Motif sounds and the actual thing. In advertising Yamaha reps have often referred to Motif sounds...Phil Clendenen etc.

They are indeed Motif sounds (in that they are derived from the Motif XS), but that's not the same as having "the Motif sound set".

In this particular case, the Motif XS had 355 mb of wave data, the MX has 166 mb of it... not all of it, therefore a subset. (And the individual sounds can have two insert effects on the Motif XS, vs. only one on the MX, so they won't all sound quite the same even when they do use identical wave data.) In some cases, the removed wave data presumably consisted of alternate articulations. For example, you could be playing a brass sound on the Motif XS, hit one of the assignable buttons, and introduce a brass fall. The MX does not have the buttons for these functions, so it makes sense that those would be among the samples not brought over to the MX. (Which also means you can't get those particular Motif sounds out of an MX.) But I don't know the full extent of what did and did not make the cut.

Another wrinkle is that there is no single "Motif sound set." So far, we've been talking about the Motif XS. But its predecessors, the original Motif and the Motif ES, had different sound sets from the XS (and from each other), though many sounds were carried over from one generation to the next. The Motif XF, which came after the XS, was the first one that included not only it own sounds, but also all the sounds from the previous version (that is, all the XS sounds are included in the XF as well). And now the Montage also still includes all the Motif XF (and therefore also all the Motif XS) sounds.

So anyway, I'd say that the MX has "a Motif-based sound set" rather than having "the Motif sound set" since the MX sound set is not actually identical to that of any model of Motif (original, ES, XS, or XF).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Do you take a laptop with you when you travel? If so, just get a controller.

Also a good option with an iPad/iPhone. Though a little more complicated than "turn it on, play" with having to connect cable, launch app, and possibly attach a speaker. (I know he said he wasn't expecting the best sounding speakers, but listening out of an iPhone speaker might be a bridge too far!)

Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning toward the Casio CTS 300. I found a $40 case by Road Runner. I could live with headphones. But honestly, dead simple for traveling seems like a good thing. Thinking about being unencumbered by cables has some appeal in my planned situation. I can envision a revision of Yamaha Reface DP - with larger keys - 49 of them. In this vision of a larger Reface - it could be used for sitting in with a band, sitting on the lap. This sitting in feature wasn't part of my original statement - I'm daydreaming. The Casio seems ideal for grabbing and going.

Thanks. For the feedback.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning toward the Casio CTS 300. I found a $40 case by Road Runner. I could live with headphones. But honestly, dead simple for traveling seems like a good thing. Thinking about being unencumbered by cables has some appeal in my planned situation. I can envision a revision of Yamaha Reface DP - with larger keys - 49 of them. But I'm daydreaming now. The Casio seems ideal for grabbing and going.

Thanks.

Hey...great minds think alike! The 4-octave (with full-size keys) Reface DP was my wish list item from manufacturers for years...never happened :( But like i said I'm now happy with my solution. Obviously, a newer model iPhone might also give you better sound options if you find the Casio sounds unacceptable. Action is always subjective but I find the CTS-300 much better than the typical department store consumer stuff and actually better than some dedicated MIDI controllers. And for the price, it's built pretty solidly and has that nifty handle.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

The additional size and weight may push it over the limit for what you'd like to carry, but for $25 more, the CT-X700 is a significant step up over the CT-S300 in sounds, keybed, speakers, and general capabilities.

CT-S300

Height: 2.9"

Width: 36.6"

Depth: 10.1"

Weight: 7.3 lbs.

CT-X700

Height: 4.3"

Width: 37.3"

Depth: 13.8"

Weight: 9.5 lbs.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning toward the Casio CTS 300. I found a $40 case by Road Runner. I could live with headphones. But honestly, dead simple for traveling seems like a good thing. Thinking about being unencumbered by cables has some appeal in my planned situation. I can envision a revision of Yamaha Reface DP - with larger keys - 49 of them. But I'm daydreaming now. The Casio seems ideal for grabbing and going.

Thanks.

Hey...great minds think alike! The 4-octave (with full-size keys) Reface DP was my wish list item from manufacturers for years...never happened :( But like i said I'm now happy with my solution. Obviously, a newer model iPhone might also give you better sound options if you find the Casio sounds unacceptable. Action is always subjective but I find the CTS-300 much better than the typical department store consumer stuff and actually better than some dedicated MIDI controllers. And for the price, it's built pretty solidly and has that nifty handle.

For traveling, it's more a "beggars can't be choosers" as far as accepting the sound of a Casio. BTW, I went to London about 3 years ago. Visited friends. The one who resides there arranged a couple of what I'll call "lunch parties". We went to their flats, I sang and played for them and they served us a nice lunch. Also, some of the tube stations have Yamaha upright pianos. So I utilized one of them (Canary Wharf station). Also I got in a daytrip to Brighton by train. On the train station platform at Brighton was an old piano. Under a high roof, but exposed to the open air. The body of the piano seemed to be iron. It was in decent tune. U.K. is a nice destination for pianists.

Gosh, it would be really cool if Yamaha read this. But surely they've pondered this specific thing. The Reface is so solid.

I can envision a revision of Yamaha Reface DP - with larger keys - 49 of them. But I'm daydreaming now.

Thanks.

Hey...great minds think alike! The 4-octave (with full-size keys) Reface DP was my wish list item from manufacturers for years...never happened :(

Gosh, it would be really cool if Yamaha read this. But surely they've pondered this specific thing. The Reface is so solid.

Especially when you consider the reface width (with 3 octaves of mini-keys) is 20.87"...and you can fit 4 full-size octave in a little over 27" (e.g. irig keys i/o 49 is 27.3") So with only 6.5" wider, you would get a MUCH more usable instrument. Sigh.

www.stickmanor.com

- The Roland Go Piano is pricey, but I think the Bluetooth MIDI to iPhone/iPad is one of the cleanest travel setups. Big downside for me is the craptastic action.

- I mentioned it in your other thread - the Alesis Recital 61 has semi-weighted keys for around US$200.

- There"s also the IK Multimedia iRig (37) Keys controller with an audio interface.

- completely blowing the budget - Korg Kross 61 is pretty travel friendly

My order for the Casiotone CT-S300 finally showed up. $149

There"s a CT-S200 for $119.

I like the size and weight. The handle is very handy.

At this price Casio isn"t giving you there AIR sample libraries.

There are two acceptable piano timbres, only a few other pleasing timbres. A lot of junkie ones.

The action is springy but not tiring and the keys themselves have some texture which is nice.

The best thing about the action is there isn"t a dead spot near the fall board. You can trigger a note with volume even smack up against the case.

The speakers are loud enough for yourself, and to practice singing or with a singer, sax, acoustic guitar what have you. Obviously not loud enough for ensemble. Although you might hear yourself. Not much bass.

Batteries go for a good while before crapping out. I bought a rechargeable pack.

Overall, happy with it for why I picked it up - light, small, cheap, loud enough, surprisingly useable action. I vocalize with it, practice chord changes, have it handy for working out ideas or getting ideas across to others. Biggest short coming is Casio didn"t give it one stellar sound patch. All the timbres are mediocre.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Here's another thread I'd started on the idea of a "traveling keyboard", as other options are listed in it...

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3055453/irig-keys-2-pro-as-a-travel-keyboard

I'll be watching this one, and re-reading it all again, as I never did get the Irig 2 Pro...

...........for the reasons noted in that posting.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Hey, Strays -

Could you post a link or provide some more specific info for the case you found for the Casio? I have a CT-S300 myself.

I've been looking for a case myself; the difficulty is finding one that's decent quality, fits the keyboard well, and is reasonably-priced. As the keyboard is so cheap, spending a lot for the case doesn't make much sense. I've seen that Casio makes a rolltop-style bag for the CT series, but it costs around $100, and doesn't appear to be officially available in the US (though seemingly available from international vendors). Here's a link: https://m.thomannmusic.com/casio_ct_s_keyboard_bag.htm

As far as the CT-S300 - it is what it is, but the bang for the buck is pretty great! Super-light and portable, decent sounds, a few other bells and whistles, etc. Speakers are OK for what they are, and the action is surprisingly workable for the price range. Hey, in a world where Yamaha uses really cheap, bad actions in the otherwise stellar MODX6 and 7 (I have a 7), the Casio is way ahead of the curve.

Hey, Strays -

Could you post a link or provide some more specific info for the case you found for the Casio? I have a CT-S300 myself.

I've been looking for a case myself; the difficulty is finding one that's decent quality, fits the keyboard well, and is reasonably-priced. As the keyboard is so cheap, spending a lot for the case doesn't make much sense. I've seen that Casio makes a rolltop-style bag for the CT series, but it costs around $100, and doesn't appear to be officially available in the US (though seemingly available from international vendors). Here's a link: https://m.thomannmusic.com/casio_ct_s_keyboard_bag.htm

As far as the CT-S300 - it is what it is, but the bang for the buck is pretty great! Super-light and portable, decent sounds, a few other bells and whistles, etc. Speakers are OK for what they are, and the action is surprisingly workable for the price range. Hey, in a world where Yamaha uses really cheap, bad actions in the otherwise stellar MODX6 and 7 (I have a 7), the Casio is way ahead of the curve.

This one (below - the $40 one) sounds OK to me. And BTW, I think that the CTS300 with the handle is the way to go - for this specific use - motel rooms. I even think I'll get a red one in case Yamaha starts making that dream Reface CP - I can give the red piano to a grand niece. Win win - if Yamaha will heed the call

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner/Keyboard-Bag-Slim-88-Key-1430146862496.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxgl_p0eM1ETZ_YoTp9OnBTtWQv38Y3_0vZvLxOX3aMCNX-MfySeWR0aApvfEALw_wcB

Hey, Strays -

This one (below - the $40 one) sounds OK to me. And BTW, I think that the CTS300 with the handle is the way to go - for this specific use - motel rooms. I even think I'll get a red one in case Yamaha starts making that dream Reface CP - I can give the red piano to a grand niece. Win win - if Yamaha will heed the call

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner/Keyboard-Bag-Slim-88-Key-1430146862496.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxgl_p0eM1ETZ_YoTp9OnBTtWQv38Y3_0vZvLxOX3aMCNX-MfySeWR0aApvfEALw_wcB

I would suggest getting two sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger that you can put in the bag. I haven't really calculated how long the battery charge lasts but it seems like maybe 10 hours. In any case, as soon as they run out, I plop the other set in and start charging the set that were in the keyboard. Haven't plugged this thing into AC since the first week I got it 10 months ago.

www.stickmanor.com