Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Use your iPhone as a midi MPE controller

Forgive me if this is already well-known to our forum members, but it was a revelation for me.

I have been on the lookout for a realistic solo horn sound, and found it a while back on iOS with the SWAM Trumpet. What I was lacking was a good XYZ touchpad midi controller to manage expression, vibrato and flutter/growl. I came across this video showing how to turn your iPhone 8+ into a great XYZ midi controller.

Basically, you load one piece of free software on your iPhone ("miditure") and a second bit of free software on iPhone and iPad to establish a bluetooth link ("midimittr"). Takes a few moments to set CC codes and channels, and then you're good to go!

[video:youtube]

(search for "How to send iPhone MIDI MPE to iPad" if link isn't working)

I've been woodshedding with it for the last few days, and I'm now at the point where I can do realistic-enough solos that would fool many people. It took me a while to coordinate the proper RH technique and LH controller. Harder than a pitch wheel, but doable. The z-axis (pressure) mapped to expression is wonderful.

I didn't want to spend money on a XYZ-capable hardware controller without making sure I'd put it to good use. Of course, this iPhone controller can be used with other software instruments.

Side note: keep an eye on the SWAM instruments. The horns are here today on iOS, the solo woodwinds are coming over soon from MacOS, and then the solo strings. I did figure out how to run multiple instances of SWAM to come up with a passable horn section.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool trick, thanks for sharing it, cphollis.

The video title is bit confusing. What he demonstrated is monophonic expression. The "P" in MPE refers to doing what he did on multiple notes simultaneously.

You're absolutely right. Better to describe it as a configurable X/Y/Z midi controller or similar.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I have some frustrations about the small quibbles that keep iOS from fulfilling all my musical needs, but it's truly breathtaking what the platform is capable of as a music performance tool. Production is one thing, and I think desktop OS still has the leg up in many ways, but the iPhone and iPad can really serve as instruments with a little bit of time, practice, and creativity. Anything to remember that this is a fun time to be alive...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I use midimttr a lot, but miditure was a new find for me. Thanxmuchly!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music