Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Prophet X and XL

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also interested but was bothered by a very small polyphony (8 stereo, 16 mono).

It seems to have a huge amount of good samples but you can"t use them well (at least for samples of the acoustic instruments). Otherwise, I never tried it ...

I think the limited polyphony is less of a factor if you consider its design intent, which as far as I can tell is more toward sound design and less at being a mere ROMpler.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I was also interested but was bothered by a very small polyphony (8 stereo, 16 mono).

It seems to have a huge amount of good samples but you can"t use them well (at least for samples of the acoustic instruments). Otherwise, I never tried it ...

It helps a great deal to think of the Prophet X as a hybrid synthesizer whose primary appeal is in using a wide range of sampled content as alternative oscillators in an otherwise conventional subtractive analog synth. From that point of view? Eight true stereo voices with independent filters on each channel is relatively generous, and the filters themselves are glorious. As a pure sample playback device it's impossible to beat a modern computer, so manufacturers are finding different niches to fill instead.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I wrote my comments in the linked thread above. Haven't had time to work with it since returning to California; been pretty busy with the job search and taking care of house issues. My hope is that it can become a gigging keyboard once gigs are happening again. I do like the action on the XL, and the acoustic piano samples aren't bad.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Lady Gaia, I'm curious to know if the official sample preparation tool has caught up with your PXToolkit yet. Please advise. Thanks. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My hope is that it can become a gigging keyboard once gigs are happening again. I do like the action on the XL, and the acoustic piano samples aren't bad.

There's at least one other piano available as well. I converted the "9000 Foot" grand piano for Christian Henson's Pianobook project to Prophet X form and find it quite playable.

Lady Gaia, I'm curious to know if the official sample preparation tool has caught up with your PXToolkit yet. Please advise.

I haven't seen any updates at all since the official tool was originally released in beta, so I've kept updating PXToolkit. There's now native support for M1-based Macs, lots of niceties like automatic handling for sample rates other than 48kHz, automatic dithering of 24-bit samples down to the required 16-bit format, support for the additional user banks added by one of Sequential's firmware updates, etc. The other option is SampleRobot, which is a fully-featured commercial automatic sampler and sample editor that can export in Prophet X format. The last time I looked at a build it supported velocity switching, but not round-robin samples. For comprehensive support of everything the instrument supports? As far as I'm aware PXToolkit is still the only game in town.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Yep, and that's the one I'm referring to; it's my preferred piano. I greatly appreciate that you posted some helpful links in the original thread.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager