Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time for a new piano?

Aidan

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I haven't made any music-related purchase in the last year or so, with the exception of BBC Symphony Orchestra and upgrading my copy of Komplete. In fact, my keyboard roster hasn't changed for several years (and this from a once-notorious serial purchaser!)

However, post-pandemic, I am now thinking of making some changes. I now work mostly in my studio, and use two keyboards. The MODX8 is attached to the computer and is used as a controller but also for some of its own sound set as well. The CP4 is now my 'video studio' piano, used for filming and streaming. And it's looking a bit tired and tatty, to be honest.

So, decisions decisions... The Tyros will go, as I really can cover all its bases now with software. The Electro might go, too â I have little call to use it. The Sub 37 will stay for sentimental reasons. The PX-1000S will probably stay as a highly portable scratch piano for the odd wedding, if I can still get them post Covid. The MODX is my main gigging axe when needed, though.

But frankly...there is a big part of me which no longer wishes to spend hours travelling, lugging equipment in and out of places. So I foresee a future where I will be doing a lot more in the studio. The CP4 is getting a bit old and tatty, after a long life on the road with me, and I'm now seriously thinking of buying something new to take its place which will look better on camera and preferably improve my playing experience.

The CP88 seems the most logical choice in many ways. However, the newcomer won't leave the studio and part of me is tempted by the Kawai MP11SE as the optimal keybed on the market, as weight is not an issue.

So if any of you out there have got either of the above, I'd be keen to hear your thoughts. I'm mostly buying for the piano experience, though I do like to let loose on the CP4's Rhodes sounds quite regularly. I'm wary of moving on in some ways (the man who famously bought the CP4 three times) but I think now could be the time...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aidan, I thought the days of being a serial purchaser were behind me as well. So, tread carefully; you may be yet started another round :nono::poke:

The MP11SE would be a great DP for your space. I played one at Sweetwater's Gearfest a couple years ago; hands-down the best action and connection I've had with any digital emulation of a grand piano - at least one with a glimmer of portability. Haven't played a CP88, yet. Have heard very positive reactions though. If you ever think of taking the new instrument out, this may be the way to go.

Meanwhile, thinking of another 'heavyweight', this turned up the other day. I post partly in jest, but some do still swear by this series. I do recall that a few others swore at it.. :laugh:CLONK

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hi Aidan, we've missed you!

You say you want a piano for video purposes. What kind of vibe are you going for? I still think nothing looks cooler than a Korg SV1/2, in a 50s Cadillac kind of way. But if you want to portray Downton Abbey period elegance, it's not the right choice.

Do you need portability? Or is a "furniture" piece more suitable?

Cheers, Mike.

However, the newcomer won't leave the studio and part of me is tempted by the Kawai MP11SE as the optimal keybed on the market, as weight is not an issue.

for these very same reasons, I just purchased a Kawai VPC-1. You have plenty of piano options with NI Komplete. VPC-1 feels like an acoustic piano, more realistic than a CP4 or a CP 88. (I kept my CP4).

Costs much less than a MP11SE also. And it looks really, really, nice.

However, it has no controls other than the black and white ones. So, if you need a control pedal input, pitch and mod wheel, and all that other fancy stuff, the VPC-1 is not for you.

:nopity:

You say you want a piano for video purposes. What kind of vibe are you going for? I still think nothing looks cooler than a Korg SV1/2, in a 50s Cadillac kind of way. But if you want to portray Downton Abbey period elegance, it's not the right choice.

100% agree that the SV series keyboards are beautiful, the SV-2 is probably versatile enough to do the job if the OP doesn't mind a significantly different approach than the CP4 or CP88.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

Thanks everyone for your input.

Despite the instrument being studio based, I do really want something that is good enough on its own to fire up and play independently, which rules out the VPC-1 for me. If I'm replacing the CP4, I want a keybed which is at least its equal and maybe even better, which for me also rules out either of the Korgs. Had an SV-1 and wasn't enthralled by the action. I still haven't found a Nord piano sample I'm comfortable with in the studio, so that rules out going red for me.

Having looked at the YC88, I think that's too organ-centric for what I need. In that price range, I think I would still go with the CP88 (and may yet).

However, I AM very interested in the Avant Grand. Space is tight here but having got the measuring tape out this morning, I could fit in an N1X. It's considerably more than I was planning to spend but it's not outside the realms of possibility, especially as I have a few things to sell. However, given the investment, I really need to play one before I take the leap, and selling stuff in person and going to the music shop is still on hold here in the UK for some weeks yet, I think.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D