Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey guys what's new?

Guitarzan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot has happened while I was gone. Retired last year , my son Brett has a few CDs under his belt mostly one man show but he has a band now. He completed his recording arts and moved to Toronto for a spell working concerts and corporate events. Rona screwed that up bad so now he's home and still rocking.

I recently joined up with some old jam buddies and we are regular now.

Mostly instrumentals , all originals covering a wide range.

Of course we plan to record , it's mainly the other guitarist gig but we are a mellow bunch and no egos. It was Jim on guitar, vance on drums and cleve on bass, until Jim invited me and then asked me to stay. Eventually they asked about my bass playing buddy Chris who is practically my brother and bam now he's in!

First time I've been in a band where we are all friends first.

Having a great time. We have some weird tastes and it comes together pretty good. Sort of abstract blues metal from outer space. Ha!

Unfortunately or not I'm presently slinging a PRS se Torero with emgs and a floyd. Makes blues and funk interesting , we go direct and wear phones.

Trying out a tech 21 flyrig5. It's pretty cool and sounds good as I only need clean , crunchy and lead tones and it works for that.

Having a ball.

I'm a newbie but welcome back to the forum!

I like it here, we are all different and everybody allows and enjoys that.

I almost landed a PRS Torero, it kept going lower on craiglist and somebody jumped before I did. I'm building a guitar with a Floyd and all my guitars have EMGs.

If you haven't already, try lowering the pickups. That makes a huge difference in how EMGs sound, much smoother and sweeter down just a bit.

I'm in Hide From Covid World, gigs are gone for the time being and I've been recording my songs. I love finally being able to do that but gigging was fun too.

I've been in the same band for 5 years and we are family now. That's nice, zero drama. We play a variety of covers, our singer/strummer knows hundreds of songs, does not have a set list or a list of songs he knows.

We just start in and go. I like that, rock and roll should not be predictable or consistent.

Hang for a bit, you'll get used to us! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Hey, 'Zan, good to see you back!

we've had a bit of changeover here, but most of the regulars are still around. Glad to hear you're playing with buddies and having a good time!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

It's hard to believe I've been on here for nearly 18 years. But, it's nice to see that a lot of regulars, such as yourself, continue to pop in. :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

It's hard to believe I've been on here for nearly 18 years. But, it's nice to see that a lot of regulars, such as yourself, continue to pop in. :thu:

Almost 14 years here, a lot of folks have come and gone. I am still happy to interact here.

I'm a newbie but welcome back to the forum!

I like it here, we are all different and everybody allows and enjoys that.

I almost landed a PRS Torero, it kept going lower on craiglist and somebody jumped before I did. I'm building a guitar with a Floyd and all my guitars have EMGs.

If you haven't already, try lowering the pickups. That makes a huge difference in how EMGs sound, much smoother and sweeter down just a bit.

I'm in Hide From Covid World, gigs are gone for the time being and I've been recording my songs. I love finally being able to do that but gigging was fun too.

I've been in the same band for 5 years and we are family now. That's nice, zero drama. We play a variety of covers, our singer/strummer knows hundreds of songs, does not have a set list or a list of songs he knows.

We just start in and go. I like that, rock and roll should not be predictable or consistent.

Hang for a bit, you'll get used to us! Cheers, Kuru

Thanks, I have tried them lower and higher. Still tweaking, out of curiosity what heights are yours at. With note of your action and string guage.i am going back to 9s as there is too much bottom with hot pups and heavy strings locked down. Feel changes with a locked trem I find

Thanks, I have tried them lower and higher. Still tweaking, out of curiosity what heights are yours at. With note of your action and string guage.i am going back to 9s as there is too much bottom with hot pups and heavy strings locked down. Feel changes with a locked trem I find

Gonna go with what's handy right now - my Tele partsocaster has the T set - Alnico magnets. Since my current band (5 years and going) doesn't need more "chimey" with the lead singer being a skilled acoustic guitarist, I've got an EMG SPC in circuit and mostly turned all the way up for full mid-boost. The pickups are about 1/8" away from the 1st and 6th string with the neck pickup just a squeak lower than the bridge. I use the neck by itself most of the time and sometimes both but never the bridge by itself.

If you heard it, you'd never guess Tele. Not as dark as a Les Paul though. My main gigger, which I need to dig out and practice on a bit for tomorrow's live stream - is Strat parstocaster with wide, fat scalloped neck. 2 SA pickups in that one and an SPC. Same deal, crank the knobs and used the neck pickup mostly. Tones are not that different between the two but the sound is, the scalloped board allows me to easily do things that just don't sound the same as non-scalloped, at least when I'm playing.

Buried in the bowels of the stash is an 86 Gibson ES-335 Studio with an EMG HB (Steinberger bass pickup and a secret weapon) in the neck and an 81 in the bridge. If i recall correctly I've got the 81 lowered down a bit more because it is really hot output. That was my first EMG equipped guitar and my main gigger for many years. Just the 3 way switch and the closest volume control are working, the other 3 are just filling holes.

I started using EMGs because the house wiring at dive bars was substandard and you could get your face blown off if you had a string ground. No string ground meant nobody could see your skeleton and no smelling your own singed facial hair for the rest of the gig while you were up there wondering if you should just go puke instead. I grew to love the tone and stuck with them.

10-46 btw, mostly D'Addario for the Players Circle points. Was an Ernie Ball regular Slinkys guy for decades though. I don't really get the "gotta be this thing here or I can't get my tone" deal at all. I've heard it a million times and I keep thinking "Maybe your gear has tone and you don't?" Not very nice, I know. I blame my parents, they raised me. :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...
The janitor, I got locked in the basement

Rockin', moppin', bippin' 'n' boppin'... ! Sweep pickin'...

Sounds like Industrial Dance Music, albeit low-tech Industry . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Rockin', moppin', bippin' 'n' boppin'...

The janitor, I got locked in the basement

Rockin', moppin', bippin' 'n' boppin'... ! Sweep pickin'...

Sounds like Industrial Dance Music, albeit low-tech Industry . . .

Sounds like Rockin' Robin to me: hoppin' and a boppin' and a singing his song, Rockin' Robin, tweet, tweet, tweetle-lee, weet LOL! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

When the red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along, along

There'll be no more sobbin' when he starts throbbin' his old sweet song . . .

Welcome back G-zan

Most of what`s been going on with me is about what stopped going on last year-even my living quarters.

Everybody got kicked out of our building. We`re still doing live shows, limiting the audience numbers and streaming online.

Everything else ground to a hamburger. I`m not around as much as before but I drop in from time to time.

All the best, be safe and have fun.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Thanks indeed, I did. In fact I'm back in a private apartment for the first time in 15 years.

I'm loving the privacy, it's more expensive but worth it. The only problem is, the landlady is right under me.

Between music and the odd kata review, it's about the last place I need to be. But I'm dealing with it, for now.

Thanks indeed, I did. In fact I'm back in a private apartment for the first time in 15 years.

I'm loving the privacy, it's more expensive but worth it. The only problem is, the landlady is right under me.

Between music and the odd kata review, it's about the last place I need to be. But I'm dealing with it, for now.

• 2 weeks later...

'ZAN BABY!!! So glad to see your prose again. Yes, I'm still here, annoying as many as possible. I'm not playing out these days, partly because of the quarantine, partly because of burn out, partially because of TV addiction. Oh well, I'm not unhappy. And I still pick up the old axe at the odd time and jam away.

Doing any gigging?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

...still here, annoying as many as possible.

If that's a goal, you need to step up your game; naaa, you're not annoying in the least, you're alright, a good guy.

...I still pick up the old axe at the odd time and jam away.

:rawk:

Careful with that axe, Eug- ehr, picker... ;)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, missed you all. Been a little crazy here with damn near anything. I actually started back on contract at my pre retirement job.

3 months for now.

This is the first weekend I haven't been angry at the world. Hey it's all cool. Just life happening..all at once. Lol