Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slate Raven MTi2

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got any first hand experience with it, brother Mike? :idk:

dB

Nope. I'm the guy who doesn't like to use computers, remember? But at one time I said that I would consider mixing on a computer if I had a monitor as big as my console. Now I can get one that size, and pretty cheap, too, but then I'd have to get rid of the console to make room for it. ;)

I've looked it over at the trade shows, but I'm just not enough interested in working that way to dig very deeply into it. I know that it's more than an iPad, and that it provides a lot of shortcuts to tracking and mixing, but since nearly all the recording work that I do nowadays (and darn little of it) is live either to multitrack or to two-track, I just don't have need for hundreds of plug-ins a finger-flick away. And I think that's where most of the Raven's strength lies. At least that's probably would get most of the use from me if I had a use for the use.

I'm fixing up a Mackie d8b now. I never really warmed up to it while I was at Mackie (though I had one on my desk) but the thing that it has over today's modestly priced digital consoles from PreSonus or Allen & Heath is that it was designed by people who did recording, as a recording console. Today's small and medium format digital consoles are really great for live sound, but you have to use a computer and DAW as your recorder.

You youngsters have all the fun nowadays. Hope the Raven works out well for you. ;)

For me it's mostly about the configurable workflow. Pretty damn high resolution on the knobs and faders with this thing as well.

My favorite thing about the plug-ins is not the access to lots of them as much as it is an interface where you can get pretty close to the experience of actually turning the knobs and flicking the switches. MUCH cooler than mouse control.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: