Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funking it up

Guitarzan

My main thing musically has been writing funny metal songs. Cool riffs with slightly warped lyrics, for instance there is Sharknado, Zombies ate my neighbours and beardactyl.

Keeping with the metal theme but more light hearted.

Anyhow since joining my friends band I have been very inspired and almost have zero problems whipping riffs out. It seems so easy lately.

Messing around at the bass players house I came up with a funk riff with bass and guitar parts complete. Bang today the lyrics came out like a bad case of the runs.

It's sarcastic yet catchy with lyrics aimed at misinformation and social media.

I call it Anti social media . I am so driven by the writing and recording thing. Which makes sense seeing I'm also am capable doing art. This is more like that..creating.

I still love playing but I think I would be happiest just writing.

My humour always creeps in no matter what unless it's a slower sensitive song like Penny which sounds like a love song but is actually about the governor's daughter in the walking dead.

For those of you that write do you find it easy or difficult to complete a song or do you get flooded with ideas?

I hope to get some kind of cd together of all my stuff so I can move on. Won't be totally happy till it's on tape.

When it comes easy do any of you wonder if you're playing something that's been done that you don't realize?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a snippet of the lyrics

Misinformation

Trumped up lies

Hanging on to every word

Like sh.t attracts the flies

Alternative reality

All common sense is lost

Keep your finger on the trigger

No matter what the cost

Anti

Social media

Take the bait

Anti social media

Spread the hate

I think I've been listening to Freak Kitchen too much.

For those of you that write do you find it easy or difficult to complete a song or do you get flooded with ideas?

I play for myself at home, and I almost exclusively play my own music. I will come up with ideas- riffs, chord passages, etc., ideas in the back of my mind for bass and keyboard and drum parts, generally the instrumental side of things- with more on that further on here- and the parts I'll play will mull and season, getting modified over time; I'll sometimes later come up with additional passages, such a bridge or variation of a verse, etc. Most of these ideas are of a nature that they're self-contained musical mechanisms from start to finish, instrumental pieces, often with intros and outros and bridges, whole pieces that could easily be made songs with the addition of lyrics and vocals. I'll gradually perfect the execution, timing, feel, maybe add a little bit here and there...

I hope to get some kind of cd together of all my stuff so I can move on. Won't be totally happy till it's on tape.

I am woefully lacking in recording or writing down or documenting anything- I really need to get into recording!! I have forgotten more of my own material than some may have come up with to begin with- especially during the years that I spent a LOT of time playing in numerous Alternate and Open Tunings, many of which I also forgot! No exaggeration!

When it comes easy do any of you wonder if you're playing something that's been done that you don't realize?

Not so much with my guitar playing- but, when writing lyrics- which in and of itself comes pretty easily to me- if I don't have a particular person's voice in mind, I may wind up later thinking that the lyrics and song that I've written strongly evoke what might have been unreleased out-takes from some famous band's, artists, or singer's famous album or period- which will make me angry and throw away the song! So, playing for myself, by myself, so much of the time for a while now, I just haven't worked on lyrics beyond spontaneous joking around. I really need to put together another all-originals band*, to do MY music... !

*(Well, all-originals, but also with occasional cool covers re-arranged creatively on the set-list, like my Dub-Reggae arrangement of "I Don't Need No Doctor", and my greatly sped-up, Jazz-grip fortified take on Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee" with a new verse audaciously added at the end to finish the songs story... )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don't do the recording but since my son is now home with his PC and music production skills I hope to get a freebie. Or have my buds in the band record.

Another former coworker has a studio in the upper half of his big ass garage. This pleases me because the way my mind works if I had to do the recording part it would slow down my creativity.

Sounds like you work similar to me. I may find a cool riff from and build it. And over time it morphs and twists. Now that I jam these out with the guys interesting things happen . Our drummer was unaware of how a song went that I wrote so I had to change the accents for the tempo he played it at. At first I didn't like it but when I wrote the chorus it was complete . Sometimes I feel like a moron because I can milk totally different tunes from a motif or series of scale tones.

Music is so cool.

Sometimes I take existing songs and put them in the blender. In other words try to make a riff that conveys both songs. Weird pastime but it is a learning experience for sure. This is for giggles as my bass player Chris and I are usually laughing our butts off. His garage and his sense of humour bring to life some gems.

I do write a lot of simpler stuff that is funny and cool.

Top secret , something in my pants for you, and welcome to Canada are simple yet cool. I have been finding more cool moves since I started thinking of 7th chords , flat 5ths and chromatics.

I would love to do an orchestrated cover of my mom's fave Amazing Grace. Kind of what Brian May would do.

It would be cool to jam with you Caev, I like how you think. Lately I don't even care if ever play lead, I feel more in the zone doing textures and orchestrating .

Leads are ok and all that but I'll let the other guitar player put on his condiments I'm more into cooking the meal just right.

I have been finding more cool moves since I started thinking of 7th chords , flat 5ths and chromatics.

Indeed... Yes. Welcome to my world... ! ;)

I would love to do an orchestrated cover of my mom's fave Amazing Grace. Kind of what Brian May would do.

Sounds cool!

It would be cool to jam with you Caev, I like how you think. Lately I don't even care if ever play lead, I feel more in the zone doing textures and orchestrating .

Leads are ok and all that but I'll let the other guitar player put on his condiments I'm more into cooking the meal just right.

Thanks, 'Zan. Though I'm also happy to often have someone else play "lead" while I play my 'structure' parts. Of course, I DO enjoy noodling, improvising, playing leads and fills and stuff along with someone else playing the main structural bits "by ear", too...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I will do lead but I prefer it to be memorable so I like to write the part. The only time I just go for it is if it was a kicker in the fashion of ac/dc. I will go for it then.

If I get excited. Otherwise I just feel like I'm being generic. You know like when you pull off a lead and the notes are all correct but it just sounds correct and doesn't take you anywhere special. I have jammed with people who are quite happy to rip but don't hold down the fort enough for me to play over it. I'll give anyone solid tight backing but I don't like players who only play rythym to kill the time until it is their solo. You have to love the whole song not just the orgasm.

Oh I do noodle. I come up with tasty licks that way. It's fun. If you heard me " practice" you would think I have attention problems. Lol drives the wife crazy

I write. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I've written songs in 30 minutes and I've changed one or three words in a song after many years and the relief is huge - to finally have all the pieces assembled.

Drawn to humor as well. I've been told that an audience will clap out of politeness but if you make them laugh, you got 'em.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.