Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha's CP1 back on the market?

I saw this show up in a Sweetwater Facebook ad, but I thought it had to be a mistake. It appears that the old Yamaha CP1 is on the market again, and for $5000 at that!

ttps://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CP1--yamaha-cp1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last review was given in 2014. Unless Sweetwater just happens to have a few CP1s leftover in their warehouse, something doesn't add up.:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Maybe they needed to use up some parts that they initially thought could be borrowed by other designs, and it was somehow cheaper to just build a few more CP1's than mothball or throw out the parts overstock?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I see Full Compass is selling them too, for the same price.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I don't think this is anything new, I don't think the CP1 was ever discontinued (or I missed it if it was). CP300 was discontinued briefly, then it came back (with a price increase from $2k to $2500).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have often been curious what the real difference was between the CP 1 and CP5 was

I can hear that in the CP 5 that I have that they were trying to achieve more string resonance overtones in the lower octaves...which was different than the CP33 era samples.

Anyway I have never seen orbplayed a CP1.

I didn"t know they ever officially ended the model. It"s a pleasure as far as digital instruments go. Solid build. Excellent sounds and FX. But very expensive. The CP88 also has an excellent action and is much more affordable. The NW on the CP1 is balanced, where the CP88 is graded. The balanced action feels really good for the EPs. I"d take one for home if someone were giving their"s away. Would look great in the rehearsal room. And it deserves proper amplification to get the most out of it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I played the CP1 when it was first released at NAMM. This was some time ago, maybe 7+ years ago? I'll have to go look in my NAMM photos.

I recall being very drawn to many aspects of the CP1 - the action, the interface, the sounds, the overall look and feel. I don't need to own a $5k digital piano and really have no use case for one of these based on what I'm doing with music lately. It's still something I'd love to own and would snatch one up if I could find a blowout sale.

Yamaha's best digital piano ever produced. My buddy has one unopened in the box just as a backup in case they stop making it and his current one breaks. Yes they're a tank to haul around but you can't beat the sound and action.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I sold my CP5 for $500 back in the Fall of 2020.

After having lived with it for 10 years and knowing both keyboards very well, I wouldn't give you $300 for one today.

Why not? I still have my CP5 which I bought in 2010 or whenever it came out. I initially wanted the CP1 but couldn"t justify the ridiculous asking price. It"s (still) a gorgeous stage piano, though.

I sold my CP5 for $500 back in the Fall of 2020.

After having lived with it for 10 years and knowing both keyboards very well, I wouldn't give you $300 for one today.

Why not? I still have my CP5 which I bought in 2010 or whenever it came out. I initially wanted the CP1 but couldn"t justify the ridiculous asking price. It"s (still) a gorgeous stage piano, though.

I got tired of the action after all those years. It was just too light and un-pianistic feeling. I couldn't even practice Bach on it. It just felt very unnatural imo. Plus the sound was dull compared to the CP4. The CP4 feels closer to a piano as well, imo of course. :)

Looking back, I kept it more for nostalgic sake then a functional one.

I have to say though, recorded, it still sounds good.

I"d only argue that the statement is relative. The action on the CP5 or any of these post 2010, $1999.99+ Yamaha portable digital instruments is as pianistic, and arguably more pianistic than offerings from any other manufacturer. If you have to play a digital that can be dragged around. What is better? I"d say Kawai"s offerings are only comparable. Roland, Korg, Nord? Only give or take a bit better or worse for piano playing. You have to go to Avant Grand or the Kawai Novus for better. It"s a lot more expensive, a lot less portable and still not an acoustic instrument.

I got tired of the action after all those years. It was just too light and un-pianistic feeling. I couldn't even practice Bach on it. It just felt very unnatural imo. Plus the sound was dull compared to the CP4. The CP4 feels closer to a piano as well, imo of course. :)

I"d only argue that the statement is relative. The action on the CP5 or any of these post 2010, $1999.99+ Yamaha portable digital instruments is as pianistic, and arguably more pianistic than offerings from any other manufacturer. If you have to play a digital that can be dragged around. What is better? I"d say Kawai"s offerings are only comparable. Roland, Korg, Nord? Only give or take a bit better or worse for piano playing. You have to go to Avant Grand or the Kawai Novus for better. It"s a lot more expensive, a lot less portable and still not an acoustic instrument.

I think Dave is saying he likes the CP4 action much better than the CP5.

I think the CP4 is unbeatable for schlepability. I slightly prefer the CP300 sound and action over the CP4.

Never heard or played the CP1 but it must be really good at $5k

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I think Dave is saying he likes the CP4 action much better than the CP5.

I think the CP4 is unbeatable for schlepability. I slightly prefer the CP300 sound and action over the CP4.

Sure, I can see that. It would be interesting to plop the 5 and the 4 next to each other.

No, I wouldn"t say the CP1"s action is $3000 better than the most recent CP4 or CP88. Very similar, only balanced instead of the bit of grading you get up top or down bottom. It"s built like a tank though, has this lovely faux tolex covering, a unique vacuum fluorescent display, and a glowing light behind the chrome finished Yamaha emblem. Sound wise, it"s as good as they"ve made on the few instruments it focuses on.

...CP1...It"s built like a tank though, has this lovely faux tolex covering, a unique display, and a glowing light behind the chrome finished Yamaha emblem.

IMO, it is still one of the best looking DPs ever made from a stage perspective. While I would pay more than 3 bills for a CP1, I definitely wouldn't remotely consider 5 stacks. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I preferred the CP1/CP5 action to the CP4 action. I haven't played the CP73 or CP88 yet.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well I was in love with the CP5 for a long time as most know that have been here that long. It's just the last couple years switching out the 4 with 5, then vice versa for a weeks at a time in the office, the CP5's infatuation wore off.

I was really able to hone in long term on the difference. But I certainly don't feel my opinion should be taken as Gospel. ;):)

And I don't own any other keyboards - synths or organs, etc.

Although I did put dough down on one of these today. Life long lust. It'll be an 8 month wait because of Covid....I can wait. :boing::taz:

https://moots.com/bike/vamoots-dr/

Oooo - this looks very nice. Bikes were really hard to come by this past summer.

I've had my eye on an urban bike. 9 speeds is plenty for me. I'd probably add some fenders and a headlamp.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/electra-bikes/townie/townie-path/townie-path-9d-step-over/p/26943/?colorCode=black

The thing with the CP1 vs CP5 was, that for $5K, the CP1 had only "three sounds": the AP(s), the EP(s) and the DX EP with an actual FM engine. :D The effects block also had an extra preamp section which gave some of the sounds a bit more oomph. The CP5 had all the same APs and EPs (although the DX wasn't FM-based but a sample), but ALSO sounds from the Motif series and the lesser pricetag. The action was the same IMO.

I preferred the CP1/CP5 action to the CP4 action. I haven't played the CP73 or CP88 yet.

Yeah, me too. I considered trading the CP5 for the CP4 (because of the reduced weight and the slightly better Rhodes sounds) but didn't. The CP73/88 is similar (action-wise) if I recall correctly, although they offer expandability among other things now which the CP1/5 never did. The audio interface option is really nice.

Yeah the "lightness" was something I was initially worried about, but it grew on me. After all these years, though, it's gotten worse and I need to get it serviced or switch models.

It seems odd to me that the Cp5 and CP4 would have different actions...

The CP5 I have is just too complicated! Senior moments abound as I try to figure out how to get to Rhodes sounds....hey...it rhymes!

I am OK with the action but have issues with harmonics that were added to tones in the lower octaves

Have been thinking about triggering my Roland FP 10 with it. BTW looking forward to hearing some of the latest Rpoland offerings..really digging the Supernatural on the FP10. They let the cat out of the bag on that one. I have zero issues with that sample..a first for me. Needs low eq though.

It seems odd to me that the Cp5 and CP4 would have different actions...

They got the weight down from 55.4 lbs to 38.6 lbs. I assume that the new action was part of that.

• 2 weeks later...
Yamaha's best digital piano ever produced. My buddy has one unopened in the box just as a backup in case they stop making it and his current one breaks. Yes they're a tank to haul around but you can't beat the sound and action.

Something to be said for this.

Years from now when keyboards go the way of compressed video and you can"t find a sound module > $49.99, he"ll

be relegated to the sub genus Audiophile Atticus hoarding ancient equipment in small confined spaces and broadcasting into space via spread spectrum with the hopes of finding more intelligent life.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Interesting that as much as you see people here hailing the CP1 as the flagship be all end all, you don't see them used by touring acts, but see CP4s all over the place.

I love my CP4(s). Crazy it's over 7 years old now. I remember playing the CP1 and the CP5 and being impressed but that was years ago. And I didn't feel that instant connection as I did with the CP4.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Interesting that as much as you see people here hailing the CP1 as the flagship be all end all, you don't see them used by touring acts, but see CP4s all over the place.

I love my CP4(s). Crazy it's over 7 years old now. I remember playing the CP1 and the CP5 and being impressed but that was years ago. And I didn't feel that instant connection as I did with the CP4.

Not crazy. If you liked how it sounded and played when you bought it, it hasn"t changed. Digital piano development is dead slow. Yamaha is still using AWM2 for their piano libraries and newer models have the same GHS/GH actions or variants based on the same design. The latest CP-88 had a big UI change. But not a departure from previous models in sound.

Surprising considering how the CP4's chassis is all plastic. That's the one thing I didn't like about it when I tried it out and went with a Kawai MP7 instead which was mostly steel and weighed only about 8 pounds more.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR