Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Foam/padding - need to add more to a case

As the subject says. I wasn't able to find exactly what I needed on a search (too many false hits which makes sense given the terms I'm using; google mostly gives back links to quiet your computer keyboard with foam.)

I have an SKB case that I used to use with my pc361--it's a good fit fir that board--and now want to use it with a Novation Summit. The Summit is a bit smaller in every dimension. It doesn't slide around much, but it will slide a bit even if you just pick up the case to carry it (if the keyboard wasn't all the way to the back. It also has a bit too much room on top. Other than the top, the back/front/sides would not need much foam at all, the case isn't that far off.

Obviously I could use towels (and towels are always handy to have at a gig!) but I figured I'd go ahead and customize the case a bit.

I want to make sure I get foam that is safe for a keyboard if it touches the top, that's priority one.

Secondly, if I glue it in, especially on the top, what kind of glue would be best to use?

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3M makes a spray adhesive made for foam. It's basically rubber cement in spray form, as far as I can tell, I suppose you could use rubber cement, but it would be real difficult to get enough rubber cement on a piece of foam with the little brush that's in most rubber cement bottles.

As far as the foam goes, you may have an upholstery/foam supplier near you. The one near me offers various grades of foam and they cut it to size. They sell it for a variety of purposes, so if yours is similar, they may be able to tell you if it would cause any issues. Also, Jo-Ann fabric sells foam in various thicknesses and densities.

Closed Cell Polyethylene

My favorite case manufacturer from years back used heavy duty nylon outer shell surrounding a firm shell made from closed cell polyethylene foam. The link above is for 1/4" thick but there are other choices as well. Cut the the size you need and glue up with a hot glue gun.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Thanks for all the info!

Edit, in looking around, I came across "Kaizen foam"...that looks similar to the foam that comes in my company's computer boxes. I could get bunches of that stuff, I just wasn't sure if it was safe to use (it doesn't touch the actual computers, just the small laptop boxes to keep it secure in the larger shipping box.

It's dark gray and tends to be kind of stiff although I've seen other foam that is softer. I guess I could ask the mail room but I doubt if they'd know if it would be safe for equipment. I'm getting the idea that perhaps I'm overthinking this a bit! :D

DIY Road Cases Store sells ester and etha foam in various thicknesses. The descriptions tell you which foam is typically used for a particular application. They also sell all case building accessories including spray adhesive.

https://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/foam-2-thick-plank-etha-hard-foam-24x108-cut-int-3-pieces/

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I found the foam on Amazon in the past but like you discovered finding the right terms to search with was tough. You might want to cover the foam with a velour or similar cloth like done in guitar and similar cases. I don't know it its as big a issue now but being guitar is my background there were some cases the foam used outgased so much it destroyed plastic parts and sometimes the plating on metal parts. I know first hand from one old guitar I had.

I"ve had much success with multiple layers (as needed) of Walmart mattress toppers enclosed in faux velvet (also from Walmart). Very inexpensive, soft, adaptable. To keep the 'blocks' in place, I sew them to the inside of the case with a few strategically placed tack points using thin fishing line. I have also made a 1 inch thick enclosed pad that I attached to the case cover inside because the case was too deep for the keyboard.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I"ve had much success with multiple layers (as needed) of Walmart mattress toppers enclosed in faux velvet (also from Walmart). Very inexpensive, soft, adaptable. To keep the 'blocks' in place, I sew them to the inside of the case with a few strategically placed tack points using thin fishing line. I have also made a 1 inch thick enclosed pad that I attached to the case cover inside because the case was too deep for the keyboard.

I like the idea of this, unfortunately this is one of those hardshell plastic cases so I'm not sure how I'd connect those tack points. I'll take a close look at the case tonight.

I"ve had great luck with Weldwood brush on contact cement since the mid eighties. I use dollar store brushes and throw them away when done. Brush it on the foam to be glued and on the inside of the case,let it set up a few minutes and place the foam where you want it. Next day it"s really on there. Works on wooden ATA cases or molded cases like the SKBs. If you end up using spray adhesive instead it wouldn"t hurt to wear a respirator mask.