Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Chick Corea

Good article about Chick.......

Link to article about Chick....

Wow, thanks for this. While it's obvious that the writer is a dedicated JAZZ lover (all caps for a reason), it is exactly for that reason that I like it. As much as I know Chick's music, this article will be a great reference to explore many recordings and performances that I am not as deeply familiar with. A great resource.

Thanks again.

Jerry

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That article from Mark is great, but I almost stopped reading when he dissed the "Three Quartets" album. I vividly recall when that was released. At least among NY jazz students, that album made a huge impression and, I think, is still very well-regarded and considered influential.

On the other hand, that article did alert me to a few recordings I didn't know (and will definitely try to pick up).

Incidentally, one of my fond memories is a show in NYC where Christian McBride basically interviewed Chick on stage, and they performed various snippets of stuff.

(The event is mentioned in this article, which might be pay-walled: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/arts/music/07dizz.html (Article is nothing great itself, so not a big deal if you can't read it).

What really knocked me out was that, during the evening, Chick briefly played in various styles (as kind of a demonstration). My recollection was that, among other things, he mimicked Red Garland and Wynton Kelly. His mastery of each style was pretty remarkable. In a way, it was more impressive than trying to mimic, say, McCoy or Bill Evans - but that's another topic.

Good article about Chick.......

Link to article about Chick....

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Trio Music Live In Europe is such a special album. There"s something magical about the interplay between these three musicians. It"s beyond great!

Not sure what"s not to like about Three Quartets. To me it"s amazing, but different strokes for different folks.

I don"t know if it"s been mentioned previously but for anyone wanting to get deeper into Chick"s music Bill Dobbins published a Now He Sings, Now He Sobs transcription book. As best as I can tell it"s very accurately notated. I"ve learned a lot from it.

I just started to check out WBGO's anthology of material honoring Chick. Full of great stuff.

https://www.wbgo.org/post/chick-corea-anthology-curated-our-hosts

And the page includes a link to the first-recording of Tones for Joan's Bones, on a Blue Mitchell album that I've never seen before. Check it out!

[video:youtube]

Great find. Just checked, it was recorded Nov/1966. For me, Blue Mitchell has been on my radar during pandemic.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Oh yeah ! I played that Blue Mitchell version in a Big Band, first at MI in Hollywood and later at LAMA/LA Music Academy in Pasadena, probably for a combined 32 years !

Speaking of Blue, can't let this thread go without someone posting Chick's Tune/You stepped out of a dream. Love the Horace Silver-isms @1:29, who was a Huge influence on Chick.

Having spent a few days reflecting the loss of this genius musician has been hard to accept. I've seen him 2 times, a double billing with Herbie's band and with the Akoustic Band with Patitucci & Weckl. Memorable performances; Chick was having a great time at this large outdoor theater. The following interview is with Chick, Eddie Gomez & Brian Blades. Here is Chick, Eddie and Brian sharing their earliest musical roots. Chick and Eddie first met at Julliard (Eddie was only 16!). Nice anecdotes recalling how Chick and Eddie joined up with Miles and Bill Evans. We are really blessed and fortunate that we have great video access to his performances; essentially a historical legacy. Thanks Chick.

Here's something I assumed would be mentioned somewhere in the flurry of tributes, but if it was I've missed it: Does anyone actually know how a guy named Armando Corea acquired the nickname "Chick"? My guess had always been that it was something people started calling him once he hit the jazz scene, but I just saw it mentioned in his high school yearbook.

Here's something I assumed would be mentioned somewhere in the flurry of tributes, but if it was I've missed it: Does anyone actually know how a guy named Armando Corea acquired the nickname "Chick"? My guess had always been that it was something people started calling him once he hit the jazz scene, but I just saw it mentioned in his high school yearbook.

Chick talked about it now and then. If I remember right he said his grandmother had trouble saying Armando and called him Chickie instead. So many started calling him Chickie until got older and he decide Chickie wouldn't work for a pianist and shortened it to Chick.

Late posting on this as I rarely visit forums these days.

But yep RIP Chick. Been listening to loads of his stuff non-stop for the last week or so.

Really diverse output... hard to pick a favourite as there are so many but I would go with the following (in no particular order) as having stayed with me:

1. Mad Hatter

2. Light As A Feather

3. Live At the Blue Note Tokyo

4. Outback (Joe Farrell LP)

5. Love Connection (Freddie Hubbard)

6. Where Have I Know You Before

7. Leprechaun

8. Now He Sing Now He Sobs

9. Tap Step

10. Return to Forever

I will say though that it was Keyboard magazine that hipped me to Chick Corea many years ago.

On that thought I remember a flexi disc called Catapult which IIRC was a tune Chick had written especially for Herbie Hancock but Herbie did not turn up to Mad Hatter so he recorded it himself.

Was early 90s... anyway think that might have been the first time I was exposed to Chick.

Just googled for it..

s-l1600.jpg

While it is long, a Fantastic interview ! Worth investing the time in watching.

What a time he came up in, seeing who he did and being able to play with all those influences and Icons of 20th Century Music ! It can never be duplicated again.

I watched this a few days ago and agree. Chick is so well spoken and has an incredible memory. This interviewer also asks very good questions and is quite knowelgeable about music.

I will watch this again, probably later today.

Spoiler alert. My favorite part was about his first gig with Miles Davis. Chick subbed for Herbie at a club in Baltimore City. No rehersal. Chick asked Miles, "What should I play?"

Miles answered, "Play what you hear."

:nopity:

Awesome interview.. Thanks for sharing.:thu:

Regardless of the type of music one plays, Chick drops nuggets of wisdom throughout the interview.

As mentioned earlier in this thread about Chick and his joy of playing music, my takeaway from the great musicians past and present is that playing music should be fun and collaborative with the *right* musicians. It requires a receptive audience too.

Playing music is not a competition and/or sport. If it's not fun, something is wrong and needs to be fixed which circles back to remembering why we play in the first place. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I just watched this last night - such great stories/memories... who knew he ever subbed in the Thad/Mel big band? Worth watching again.

Jerry

What a time he came up in, seeing who he did and being able to play with all those influences and Icons of 20th Century Music ! It can never be duplicated again.

I just watched this last night - such great stories/memories... who knew he ever subbed in the Thad/Mel big band? Worth watching again.[/quote\]

That intrigued me enough that I briefly went on a fruitless search for videos/bootlegs of Chick in that band. Alas, I couldn't find anything.

My favorite part was about his first gig with Miles Davis. Chick subbed for Herbie at a club in Baltimore City. No rehersal. Chick asked Miles, "What should I play?"

Miles answered, "Play what you hear."

I like the Rhodes story. Miles did the same thing to Herbie, although during the Filles de Kilimanjaro era recording sessions. He was walking towards the acoustic piano. 'No no no no. Play that.' -'That TOY looking thing?'

The story about the original RTF with Horacee Arnold was also news to me. And I never thought about it like that, but it"s true - there is a certain unique sound there with the Rhodes and the flute combination.

In another (video) interview, Chick mentions an "electronica" experiment with Marcus Gilmore, Yosvany Terry and Taylor McFerrin (Bobby McFerrin's son). Here's a DownBeat piece on it: https://downbeat.com/news/detail/coreas-electronica-experiment-lights-up-blue-note-nyc

Anyone know anything about this? Any recordings or videos available? Sounds really interesting...

Got a story to share...

Early Eighties...Chick and Gary Burton are performing at "Ontario Place", an outdoor venue on the shores of Lake Ontario, Toronto Waterfront. What was cool about this venue (that sadly no longer exists), was the open air, covered venue with a stage that rotated 360 degrees throughout the show....

My girlfriend (now my wife of 25yrs) and I are attending Chick Corea & Gary Burton in concert. In anticipation, I was determined to go back stage and meet both of them, and brought a recently purchased music book of Chick's recent recordings. After the show, we went to the backstage artist area which of course was fenced off with two security men. I approached one of them, introduced myself in a calm, respectful way and asked if their is any chance Chick could autograph my book. At which time I showed him the music book. He said; "wait a minute, I'll be back". He returns and says "Hey, you are welcome to see Chick, follow me". I went alone and proceeded to enter the dressing room where both Chick & Gary are standing. I'm pissing myself but try to remain cool and respectfully asked Chick to sign my book. Looking back, I recall pretty much ignoring Gary, likely because I couldn't believe what was happening. Chick was gracious and I didn't over stay my welcome. True Story!

f47394bc511214a23e270b56d2be96bb07037140.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this (and thanks to the guys!!), this was just great. Gambale's hilarious! So many great stories all around. And they've mentioned "Tale Of Daring" (from Inside Out, 1990) on several occasions - it really is an insane suite...can't imagine sight-reading that stuff.