Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Irrelevant ? Is Great Pizza better than favorite piano/keys?

I can compare notes with pizza sauce creation.

We grow our own tomatoes here in N. California, and the wife cans/jars them which results

in the best tomato sauce on the planet.

No preservatives needed, etc.

It takes some effort and time, similar to song writing, etc.

As a NYer, chunky sauce--fresh and delicious as it might be--is not the first option for pizza. East Coast pizza requires smooth, rich tomato sauce. It's in the Bible.

I also grow tomatoes in the summer, and make a pretty good marinara in general. I keep a mirapoix blend in my refrigerator almost constantly for just that purpose. I don't add wine or beer any more, and I'm not going to lie, the quality has suffered.

My daughter's vegetarianism has thrown me for a loop. I make the hell out of a variety of meats and fishes. She's off of anything with a mother. It's been a couple of months and I'm finally closing in on a vegetarian lasagne that passes for legit. But I'm running short of ideas. It's basically like eating side dishes for dinner every night.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter's vegetarianism has thrown me for a loop. I make the hell out of a variety of meats and fishes. She's off of anything with a mother. It's been a couple of months and I'm finally closing in on a vegetarian lasagne that passes for legit. But I'm running short of ideas. It's basically like eating side dishes for dinner every night.

Any possibility of slipping in some Beyond Meat based sausage? Somebody snuck some of it into a taco I had the other night and I didn't even notice. AFAIK plant based meat substitutes are universally motherless.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Josh, next time you're doing naan pizza, try this one for a veggie alternative (taking the naan crossover to the next level):

Indian Chickpea Pizza

1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Sauté on medium (bout 5 minutes): 1T oil, 1T minced ginger, 1 chopped medium onion, 1 chopped red pepper, 1 chopped zucchini

3. Add: 1T tandoori curry paste, 1/4 cup water, 1 cup rinsed chickpeas, 1/4t salt

4. Arrange 4 naan on baking sheet, divide veggies per bread

5. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated mozza

6. Bake ten minutes

7. Finish with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

But yeah, in general, the answer to most of your veg cooking questions will be legumes.

Any possibility of slipping in some Beyond Meat based sausage? Somebody snuck some of it into a taco I had the other night and I didn't even notice. AFAIK plant based meat substitutes are universally motherless.

The "Beyond" plant-based subs do work well and taste good enough to fool most. Quorn makes good products too. I have shared meals with a few vegeterarians.

I could almost be a vegetarian if chicken and fish didn't exist. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

"What the hell have I been doing with my life? Trying to get in shape, man. But I hate going to the gym, so I decided I"d go veggie twice a week. It"s brutal. I can only make it till about 5:00. Five o"clock, that"s what I realized about myself, you know that? Something has to die every day in order for me to live. Something"s got to get its beak chopped off, its feathers yanked, uppercut to its jaw, just in order for me to survive. I"m trying!" - Bill Burr

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

"What the hell have I been doing with my life? Trying to get in shape, man. But I hate going to the gym, so I decided I"d go veggie twice a week. It"s brutal. I can only make it till about 5:00. Five o"clock, that"s what I realized about myself, you know that? Something has to die every day in order for me to live. Something"s got to get its beak chopped off, its feathers yanked, uppercut to its jaw, just in order for me to survive. I"m trying!" - Bill Burr

and does Bill Burr play a keyboard ? ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

He"s so retentive, I have to assume yes. :D

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Frozen mini pizza bottoms from organic supplier contain good enough tasting tomato foundation to add some mushrooms, paprika, organic herbs and quality organic cheese and possibly more stuff. THe result strangely enough is good and fairly cheap, though not vegan.

Soul food from a synthesizer doesn't come from proper keys alone.

I'm not in any interpretation fat (which is great), some of my piano and other sounds are gaining considerable weight of late, hopefully by my edits connecting up with the right mothership to finally rip free from most sounds out there which never become full or heavy or full bodied, IMO.

Theo

He"s so retentive, I have to assume yes. :D

are the 'best ' actors, musicians, ADD or OCD ?

Or both ?

[70's Songwriter]

Frozen mini pizza bottoms from organic supplier contain good enough tasting tomato foundation to add some mushrooms, paprika, organic herbs and quality organic cheese and possibly more stuff. THe result strangely enough is good and fairly cheap, though not vegan.

Soul food from a synthesizer doesn't come from proper keys alone.

I'm not in any interpretation fat (which is great), some of my piano and other sounds are gaining considerable weight of late, hopefully by my edits connecting up with the right mothership to finally rip free from most sounds out there which never become full or heavy or full bodied, IMO.

Theo

that's deep on many levels, and I am not sure I can keep up.

However, I have a cannabis infused pizza recipe that is going to cure arthritis and mood disorder after eating 2 slices.

[70's Songwriter]

My mistake: I take organic champignons, nothing psychedelic or addictive except in certain music for me! OTOH, a good wine or beer, or possibly organic whiskey can make me feel better and wanting more..

the booze discussion is another topic. I am not worthy of it since I don't drink.

Heresy, I know, I don't follow the herd.

No judge-y here, feel free to do what it takes, to get thru 1 day at a time.

[70's Songwriter]

There is no great pizza within 100 miles of my house, so no. I choose my favorite keyboard.

I am sorry to read that.

So, sushi is not on your SE Ky google earth ?

We are blessed with a pretty good Japanese restaurant that does sushi on the side but it does not interest me. But the closest good pizza place is Impellizzeri's Pizza in Louisville, about 150 miles away. They pioneered "Louisville" pizza which is extremely thick and loaded, only available at the main location. In fact, back in the 1980's when I moved to Louisville from my small SE town to be a full time musician the first place my Louisville friends took me was not a club or a music store, it was Impellizzeri's. Lexington (80 miles) had Joe Bologna's that was extremely good in the 1070's. They moved into a big new place and opened a few extra locations around town and it was never the same. Man, I miss the original Joe Balogna's.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Th. Man, I miss the original Joe Balogna's.

I miss the days of covered wagons, when life was simpler.

Somehat related, I would almost sell my soul for Uno's Pizza of Chicago.

It spawned millions of pizza copy cats.

This is becoming good song title material

[70's Songwriter]

Pizza from a Legit Restaurant have priced themselves out of the market. Its not unusual to see a 16" Pizza on a menu for $25.00. Knowing what the ingredients cost, those high prices are for paying their over head, not the Pizza. No thank you$$$$.

Growing up Italian, I remember my grandmother saying Pizza was made on the cheap by putting your favorite cheese and spaghetti sauce on home made Italian bread before it got hard and had to be thrown out.

The few times I buy Pizza, its usually a frozen pizza from Walmart on the cheap.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's easy and tough to go wrong with homemade pizza:

- Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt

- Tomato puree w/ spices plenty of fresh basil

- Mozz

- 500F Oven

Or, if you live on the east or west coast, order a stretched dough ball from your favorite pizzaria an top and bake at home.

One of my favorites is the unique Quad Cities pizza:

[video:youtube]

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Before I give that Pizza a LIKE, how much is it?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

After I play my PX-5S, it will still be here tomorrow and the next day.

After I eat the pizza, it's gone. Then what?

Hey, a thought: Can I eat the pizza, wipe my hands, and then return to my PX-5S?

That depends. How do you go about allotting time for the unforseen? Greasy guy-hands can be almost as big a threat to your gear as cats.

"Chili represents the three states of matter: solids, liquids and finally, gas."

~ old "Roseanne" episode

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Growing up Italian, I remember my grandmother saying Pizza was made on the cheap by putting your favorite cheese and spaghetti sauce on home made Italian bread before it got hard and had to be thrown out.

The few times I buy Pizza, its usually a frozen pizza from Walmart on the cheap.

Brotha Mike, dont ruin it. Like chitterlings, folks think they're eating a delicacy. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What a shame they closed it down... we were still up there when it did - we typically went there every couple of weeks or so while it was open, and often made it our Friday happy hour spot.

Your mention made me look it up just now to see if there are any close by down here, and I was dismayed to find that they seem to have closed all of them this side of the Rockies, and even then there"s only one in Colorado else the rest are all east of the Mississippi.

Fortunately we have some real good ones in the area, including an Italian restaurant here in town and a Numero Uno not far.

What a shame they closed it down... we were still up there when it did - we typically went there every couple of weeks or so while it was open, and often made it our Friday happy hour spot.

Your mention made me look it up just now to see if there are any close by down here, and I was dismayed to find that they seem to have closed all of them this side of the Rockies, and even then there"s only one in Colorado else the rest are all east of the Mississippi.

Fortunately we have some real good ones in the area, including an Italian restaurant here in town and a Numero Uno not far.

https://ship.unos.com

yeah, Denver is closest.

they might be able to ship pending goofy weather.

I had fresh lobster shipped from Legal Seafood in Boston some months ago.

So its not impossible to get the original experience.

Here in the East Bay, Zachary's is wonderful.

[70's Songwriter]

The best Pizza is in the Northeast.....

We have a couple of families here from Queens that have great "NY Style" pizzerias. I do find it kind of sad that we have to label it as such to distinguish it from the crap that looks similar but ain't.

On another note, I love a good Neapolitan-style pizza. They're certifying these places now so they're supposedly up to snuff with the real ones in Naples. It's a different kind of pizza, but I have come to love them as much as NY style.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

different yeast and techinques.

I'm listening...

She took most of the informations from an italian group on facebook about home pizza. Mostly they use a Ferrari G3 pizza owen, that we have. It is a small, single pizza at a time owen, with a refractory stone, and going up to 400 centigrades. Quite difficult to use (a drop of tomato on the stone require half an hour of eating to clean it up before making a pizza), and it require the good on/off sequence to be at the right temperature when you cook the pizza.

I do not know if she have written notes, in case i can translate :)

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

NY pizza is basically Neapolitan, or what it became over the years. I think what people call "Neapolitan" now has a slightly different crust. However, since the Bible states that the correct way to eat pizza is to fold it, clearly New York pizza is the one God intended humans to eat.

Does anyone still make Sicilian? As a kid, that was the tip: "Two pepperoni; one regular, one Sicilian."

You are not required to fold Sicilian slices. But God doesn't judge you negatively if you try.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

NYt, clearly New York pizza is the one God intended humans to eat.

You are not required to fold Sicilian slices. But God doesn't judge you negatively if you try.

Thats about right.

God told me its cool to order Papa Murphys half baked pizza, esp if the wife likes it.

[70's Songwriter]