Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moondance Piano Solo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi beaelvsin,

As a welcome present to the forum, I downloaded it for you. Send me your e-mail via PM and I"ll send it to you. Like all other things in music, improvising is something that just takes practice and patience. Don"t be discouraged from trying it. There are many free resources available on the topic including many of the folks on this forum who are very skilled musicians who have been playing for many years. Stick with it! Improvisation is one of the most fun aspects of playing an instrument. Also, by studying (either transcribing a solo yourself or looking at transcripts of other people"s solos), you can learn different things even if you may not have particularly cared for what they played. I"ve learned things from pieces I didn"t really like to play or listen to. It all goes into shaping who we are as musicians.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. All of your advice is helpful. I AM given opportunities to improvise with my band especially on blues numbers. On those where I play a Hammond organ patch, I do ok. I do pick out little phrases from songs I've heard, or improvisations that other artists have done. Some sound ok, others not so. But, I get more proficient and confident as time goes on.

beaelvsin - Try to come up with phrases that incorporate notes only from the G major scale. All white notes except F natural â sharp that F! You can't play a "wrong" note if you do this. Of course the trick is to know which of those notes to play, when to play them and how long to play them for. This kind of music does have a lot of idiomatic elements - mostly blues or "blues-y" licks that many pianists learn by rote. But, keep to the notes of the G major scale and you'll be off to a good start!

Anyone see Greg Hutchinson's IG Live on "flurries" (specific to the YT video he was referencing) or players without vocabulary (more generally)?

Not that I should be talking when it comes to jazz vocabulary, but yeah, the original solo doesn't have much of the swing idiom to my ears. Quite likely the crowd would prefer to hear something nice and relaxed with a little simple swing vocabulary, more in a Count Basie style, rather than a note-for-note reproduction of the solo. As has been said, it doesn't seem like many people are expecting to hear the original, which I think says something in and of itself.

Even live in 1973 Morrisons piano dude didnt play anything close to note for note on moondance. If he didnt or wasn't required to then you aren't.

As stated by someone previously a fresh improvised solo is much more listenable than someone trying to copy a solo exactly. Unless your chops equal or exceed the original , it's going to sound labored and cold. Listed to the original for ideas and play something "in the spirit of", or be bold and play something you would have done if you were a first call studio cat on that session. The only keyboard solo you have to copy exactly is The Cars my best friend's girl.

[video:youtube]

FunMachine.