Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New player - need "better than starter" electric

johnchop

Not if, as the joke was going, he was trying for a jazzier tone.

Still...imagine Malcom Young following Alex Skolnick"s (Testament) example, and reinterpreting his band"s biggest hits as jazz tunes. 'Highway to Hell', 'Jailbreak', 'Dirty Deeds', 'Rosie', Hell"s Bells', 'Thunderstruck'- it makes me all giggly!*

* Not giggety.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a whole lotta knobs for just one pup LOL! Now if he would just move that pup to the neck position, all of that magnetic pull reduction could be very useful for his jazz tone settings... :rolleyes:

It's probably wired straight to the output jack. It would have been against his religion to turn anything down.

I am pretty sure it was a 2 pickup guitar, the middle pickup cavity is not routed the same as the neck cavity. 2 of the switches along the upper cutaway were probably added, 3 pickups with individual switches.

The 3 knobs and switch below are fairly typical Gretsch wiring. Malcolm probably had it all "hot-rodded" and then found it unwieldy and un-needed to have all that crap on his guitar so he bagged everything except the one pickup. The only other thing you really need is a jack.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yes originally 2 pickups. Malcolm added the middle. Later he pulled them. If #1 is setup like #2 then the knob on the bottom horn is a working volume pot. And that"s it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hey Danny, I did some Big Band/ Broadway arrangements of some AC/DC tunes about a decade ago. A great song works in almost any setting!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hey Danny, I did some Big Band/ Broadway arrangements of some AC/DC tunes about a decade ago. A great song works in almost any setting!

I agree!

Check out the aforementioned Alex Skolnick Trio, as well as Two Cellos, Rodrigo Y Gabriella, Brass Against, Orkestra Obsolete, and Postmodern Jukebox. Not to mention Johnny Cash"s epic cover of NIN"s 'Hurt.' Or Devo"s take on their 'Head like a Hole'. Judas Priest"s 'Green Manalishi'.

Etc.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Nah, Teles are an acquired taste, and they vary quite a bit in quality and sound.

Well, a Tele ended up catching my eye (https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/special-edition-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh/product-026200.html), but that's pretty different from the garden variety at the local shops.

I'm at 7 options now: D'Angelico, Ibanez, Hagstrom semi-hollow/hollow bodies, and a Dean, Schechter, Reverend, and the aforementioned Tele.

So the next purchase is obvious. :laugh:

Thanks again, everyone, for the input and the interesting tangents. :thu:

Will report back when I find THE ONE. Or perhaps THE FIRST.

I make software noises.

Sorry we get a little OT sometimes Johnchop but we always try to segue back LOL! That's a cool looking double HH Tele. I like the string through Strat style flat saddles without the ashtray and 3 barrels. I also like the top wood with the matching headstock. The "set neck". is a cool new concept for Teles. There were not enough pictures and I would like to see more. I would want to check out the body carve to see if it's contoured. Very nice choice and price if you decide to go in that direction. Also noticed the double string trees...anyway, keep us posted when you pull the trigger on the Tele or on one of the others! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Nah, Teles are an acquired taste, and they vary quite a bit in quality and sound.

Well, a Tele ended up catching my eye (https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/special-edition-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh/product-026200.html), but that's pretty different from the garden variety at the local shops.

I'm at 7 options now: D'Angelico, Ibanez, Hagstrom semi-hollow/hollow bodies, and a Dean, Schechter, Reverend, and the aforementioned Tele.

That is a nice Tele!

The FIRST is more like it. There is no the ONE, there are the MANY!!!

You'll "need" different. I've got quite a few "different". There are still a couple on my list...

7 spots is a good start. I am now deciding where to put my wall hangers, I've got 9 of those. Saves on floor space!

Nato body & neck, maple cap, Duncan HB's w/coil tapping . . . that's as close to a Gibson/Epiphone or PRS as you're going to find with "Fender" on the headstock.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I own a couple of Deans, a Special Select EVO (entry level LP clone) and a Time Capsule Cadillac (expensive). Love them both.

But I bought them when Dean Zelinsky was still associated with the company. Before he became a cofounder of DBZ guitars...which he left to form Dean Zelinsky"s Private Label. has proven multiple times he can build damn good guitars. His companies have occasionally had lapses, though.

If you"re looking at guitars from any of his companies, check the reviews of the model (including year) and, ideally, try them out in person. I"d personally veer away from any of Dean"s entry level guitars in particular right now- the QC is too variable. But the upper end ones have been pretty consistent. So have ones like the '1980' product line.

PS: that"s a nice Tele!

Not if, as the joke was going, he was trying for a jazzier tone.

Still...imagine Malcom Young following Alex Skolnick"s (Testament) example, and reinterpreting his band"s biggest hits as jazz tunes. 'Highway to Hell', 'Jailbreak', 'Dirty Deeds', 'Rosie', Hell"s Bells', 'Thunderstruck'- it makes me all giggly!*

* Not giggety.

Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest on the AC DC guitar controls LOL! But here's a jazzy version of Highway to Hell:

:cool: Giggety Giggety LOL! :thu:

There you guys go making sense and being open-minded... ;):thu:

And no "hornets nest" at all, Larryz, not at all.

I didn't mean to come off the way I might have; just bear in mind that I really, really dig Malcolm Young's tone and 'touch' and execution. A Master of what may seem simple, but simply masterfully done.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I didn't mean to come off the way I might have; just bear in mind that I really, really dig Malcolm Young's tone and 'touch' and execution. A Master of what may seem simple, but simply masterfully done.

Yep. And how many times have you been at the club and the band thinks they can play Honky Tonk Women, then the guitarist tries to fire it up and no, they can't. Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, etc. Sure does sound easy...

The craziest thing more times than not if I here an AC/DC cover the guitars sound like chainsaws. Malcom"s and Angus" tone is relatively clean. Loud ... but clean.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There you guys go making sense and being open-minded... ;):thu:

And no "hornets nest" at all, Larryz, not at all.

Perhaps "hornets nest" was too harsh a term Caevan, so I hope you forgive me...I thought you knew I was only joking about moving that pickup for his jazz tone LOL! You came off just fine....and I gave you a "Like" on your post...

I was more interested in getting rid of all those knobs he left on the guitar with just one lonely bridge pickup. I liked CEB's comment about leaving at least one volume knob. I knew where Kuru was coming from on going direct to the jack and not even using a volume knob...I think Danny caught my joke and I liked his comments. It made me go looking for a jazz version of Highway to Hell! There were quite a few jazzy versions of AC/DC music on YT, to include the vid Danny found. I like Dirty Deeds the more I hear it on the radio these days. It's all in fun... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

AND... a few years ago I heard a Howard Stern interview with Angus Young. He asked Angus how many watts he used on stage. Angus said "16 watts and it's probably too much." I don't think he was kidding either.

Learned about this by accident due to an email from pro Audio Star today showing new guitar models for 2021. Not sure if it's the same specs as the earlier white model:

I like the sound and the specs, as it is full scale (25.5") with an ebony fingerboard (I despise rosewood), maple body and neck vs. mahogany (more common from certain manufacturers), but most importantly a piezo pickup that can be blended with the two humbuckers. Also a nice quality Original Bigsby, and two separate output jacks.

I'm actually giving this one some consideration due to some of its unique properties. I'm a much bigger fan of arch-top guitars than solid bodies; I feel there's more variety amongst them overall.

Not sure if this will help the O.P., but as hollows and Dean were recommended by others, it might, except for the longer scale length being outside the requested specs.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/30345-dean-guitars-unveils-the-colt-bigsby

From the article above, it does seem that the black and white editions are the same specs. I prefer the white one, as it reminds me of a Gretsch White Falcon.

I do wonder what the real measurements are though, as the one for sale on Reverb says 4" deep yet calls it a 335 knockoff -- but those are only 1.75" deep.

https://reverb.com/p/schecter-robin-zander-corsair-signature-semi-hollow-gloss-white-w-slash-gold-hardware

The Schecter Robin Zander is somewhat similar, but is 24.75" scale length, has a mahogany neck, and no piezo pickup. They're pretty nice though; I've tried one.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

https://tvjones.com/pickup-tone-advisor

A good resource page for TV Jones pickups, and though it is dedicated just to ones he makes, it also can be helpful in judging differences between pickups available outside the TV Jones catalogue.

In the context of a semi-hollow or full hollow body guitar, I like his TV-HT the best. But then, I have gravitated almost exclusively towards single-coil pickups in recent years; way more variety overall.

I actually despise most of his pickups, even though I admire him as a person and as an engineer. He just happens to mostly go over my host hated guitar tones. Personal preference and all of that.

Having said that, the Power'Tron and the Power'Tron Plus are my favourite humbucker pickups from TV Jones. And I like a few of the others OK, but just not in the context of a hollow or semi-hollow.

I also like the T-Armonds, which are based off the original Dynasonic pickups; whereas the TV-HT is based off the HiLo Trons. A different sound; I might prefer T-Armonds on a 335-style semi-hollow.

Mark, it's definitely a Gibson ES-175 knock-off with an added Bigsby. It's nothing like a 335 knock-off as far as body style. The 335 is a semi hollow as far as body depth at 1.75" vs. the archtop hollow body ES-175 at 4"...The 175 is my favorite body style and I have the Epiphone version. +1 the white and gold color combo reminds me of the White Falcon...I like the US 57 humbuckers on my Epi and would prefer them on the Dean over the TV Jones or P90's like on the Scotty Moore 295 version. A lot of Rockabilly players like the Gretsch pups (i.e. Brian Setzer style). The 175 is one of the most famous designs and preferred by a lot of jazzers like Joe Pass. :cool:

Ps. check out the newer Epi ES-295 Scotty Moore version that comes with P90's and a Bigsby, if you like single coils...

Take care, Larryz

Aaaaaaaaand the car died. Like "need a new car" dead.

Welp, even more time now to ponder the possibilities! I'm really liking the sound of both the Super Viking and Fender HH FMT Tele.

Worth a short trip to try them out. You know, in a car. That I'll have to buy now. :cry:

I make software noises.

Sounds about par for the course. Life is what happens when we"re making other plans.

I was going to make a couple more suggestions, but, given present circumstances? I"ll wait until you"re on a more stable footing (unless you say otherwise, of course).

Yep, everything happens in threes. Sorry to hear about the car loss. So typical!

Glad you liked the Super Viking. Not sure if I've tried that specific model, but I LOVE my Viking Baritone arch-top!

The Hagstrom guitars have a different neck feel to other brands. I happen to like them quite a bit in that regard.

Be aware that hardshell cases can be up to a 9-month wait, and for many models, NEED to be a Hagstrom case.

As for the Epi ES-295 Scotty Moore with Gibson USA Dog-ear P90's, that's the one I have, and I love it! Mine is in gold. I would have preferred red, but it wasn't available. I had some work done to get the pickups to sit properly on an arched top, but it sounded fine before that work as well. And it's excellent value, if you can still find one in back-stock somewhere. As usual, Gibson canceled it as it was too much value for an Epiphone!

Aaaaaaaaand the car died. Like "need a new car" dead. :cry:

Sorry to hear that! And, I definitely know how that goes... S0O0O0OO 'Been There, Done THAT'...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _