Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any decent bread and butter modules for live gigs?

kwyn

Anything good out there anymore? I see there is the intergra 7, but maybe it's much more than needed for live? It looks pretty complex and many use in their home studios. Also pricey, but an option.

Hopefully there is something out there that is pretty simple to use in a live setting with great sounds. Needs to have a decent AP for rock, great EPs, and strings/synths for Pink Floyd type stuff.

TIA

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's lots of used stuff, but not too many in production these days. Check the GSI Gemini, Dexibell SX7, V3 Grand Piano XXL. An iPad could also be a way to go. Is this something you'd be using with a particular keyboard/controller? Or something you want to be able to travel with and plug into whatever keyboard happens to be available? One way or another, you'll need to find a way to quickly call up your desired patches.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

GSI Gemini: comes in a rack or a desktop. Decent piano (not great, good for rock); all other sounds are outstanding and employ physical modeling.

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

(same sound contained in the Gemini)

(same sound contained in the Gemini)

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The last time I looked, the Yamaha Motif rack units were still available new, even though they're not in production (got mine used). I've found mine easy to live with and the sounds are good. Yes, it might have been better if they'd gone for a 2U format and designed it to be a bit more knobby, but I find the menus more workable than certain other companies'. It's one of those things where your idea of what's intuitive will determine how you react to a given unit.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

There's lots of used stuff, but not too many in production these days. Check the GSI Gemini, Dexibell SX7, V3 Grand Piano XXL. An iPad could also be a way to go. Is this something you'd be using with a particular keyboard/controller? Or something you want to be able to travel with and plug into whatever keyboard happens to be available? One way or another, you'll need to find a way to quickly call up your desired patches.

Something that would plug into whatever board was available would be ideal.

Re: GSI. I do dig many of the sounds, but my DMC122 with built in Gemini, was not always reliable for me years ago. Sold it. Perhaps the module performs better standalone? I would actually would be using my legend solo for organ (always found vb3 really screechy in the upper octave, even for rock and never loved the leslie sim).

On the ipad, I've tinkered with korg module. Is that the best available? Are there other really easy to use apps with presets that don't need much tweaking?

I second the recommendation of an Motif Rack XS, or an older Roland Fantom XR.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I am intending to incorporate an ipad, though mainly just for the (very, very excellent) B-3X that I got on sale. It is really easy to use with my Modx with one cable.

However...

This kind of thing (below) is why I hesitate with ipads and computers live. I have my modx set up in "rig mode" on my keyboard stand with the ipad attached and was working out the best way to place it and run the cables. I came out the next day, turned on the Modx and went to my organ patch (which is a Zone with no local sound and transmitting on channel 2, the chosen channel I'm using with B-3X, any other ipad apps will simply get a diffferent one.) It didn't work, I had to select (again) the Modx as the input source in B-3X, just like I did yesterday. Well, ok I can live with that if I need to do it each time. At least B-3X retained the midi recelve channel of 2 for the upper manual.

I go to other patches on the Modx and now B-3x plays on the entire keyboard--it should not be. I'm not transmitting on 2 (or I wasn't before). The patch I set up with two zones in a split (one internal piano on the left, B-3x on the right)--B-3X is playing on the entire keyboard. This despite the piano zone having midi transmit "off".

I have limited patience with this kind of crap, especially when it seems to differ whenever I turn things on and off. In my current state of mind, I wouldn't recommend an ipad at least until I discover an explanation for what's going on. I need to first suss out whether it is the Modx somehow transmitting across all channels or B-3X responding like it's in Omni (which as far as I can tell it is not.) As things stand, the only way I could use it would be all-or-nothing B-3X organ (any other patches when I'd want to use internal sounds I'd turn down the external input volume to silence the ipad, it would be playing but nobody would hear it.)

As the old becomes new again, I would also recommend considering an older rackmount tone generator. Since most have small screens and few controls, in advance, utilize the capability within the tone generator to setup program changes making them quickly accessible from any KB MIDI controller. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Something that would plug into whatever board was available would be ideal.

Since you can't count on the capabilities of the controlling board, then, for most modules, you'll also want some device for rapid patch selection. Your iPad might be the best solution for that, even if you don't use it as your sound source.

On the ipad, I've tinkered with korg module. Is that the best available? Are there other really easy to use apps with presets that don't need much tweaking?

Best is subjective, but for an all-in-one, that's certainly one of the better and simpler choices. The iPad would also let you load multiple apps (say, one app for your EPs, another for strings or synths), but that does add complexity and another possible source of instability.

I go to other patches on the Modx and now B-3x plays on the entire keyboard--it should not be. I'm not transmitting on 2 (or I wasn't before). The patch I set up with two zones in a split (one internal piano on the left, B-3x on the right)--B-3X is playing on the entire keyboard. This despite the piano zone having midi transmit "off".

I'm not sure I fully understand your scenario, but from my own limited experimentation with doing something similar, you may need to change the MIDI I/O mode on the MODX to Single. In Multi, any time you switch to a Performance that has anything at all loaded in the Part 2 location, the MODX will transmit on Part 2, over the full key range (regardless of any key range you may have specified for Part 2), unless you have the proper Zone settings configured in that Performance. Assuming you don't want to manually change zone settings in every 2-or-more-Part performance you may ever invoke, globally changing from Multi to Single mode will quickly assure that the MODX will never transmit on any channel other than channel 1 except when you have explicitly turned on such MIDI transmission facilities with the Zone settings within a given Performance. Then you just have to make sure that nothing in your iPad is responding to MIDI channel 1. The drawback here is you lose the Multi function in the MODX, meaning that while you have improved its functionality as a MIDI controller (by not having it sending on channel 2--or any other channels--when you don't want it to), you have lessened its ability to be used as sound source over MIDI, as you will no longer be able to, for example, have some other controller playing a MODX sound that is different from the MODX sound that is playing from its own keys. I think. ;-)

ETA: Not the right solution, for a number of reasons. Better answer in subsequent post.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On the ipad, I've tinkered with Korg Module. Is that the best available? Are there other really easy to use apps with presets that don't need much tweaking?

I know Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 receives a lot of praises but I could never get used to it, even though I tried hard and went through most of the presets. So I always come back to Scarbee within Korg Module for EP. I also prefer the Wurli presets in Korg Module to the NKS2 Wurlis.

For AP, Ravenscroft seems also to be receiving a lot of praises from the iOS community, but for me, I'm happy with the Synthogy additional packs. I own both the Ivory and Ivory American D packs, and I don't see the need to buy the Ravenscroft app.

And also with Module, you can make some splits and layers. There are pretty decent strings and synths sounds available in the additional Kapros packs. So as Scott said, Module in the best all in one app IMO.

Some folks around the web seem to like the Roland MC-101 as a sound module.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thinking about it more, I think a better solution is not to use channel 2 for B-3X. If you're using a MODX as a controller, I think you should put any external sounds you want to trigger only on channels 9 through 16. That way you can be sure that no MODX Performance consisting of internal sounds will ever inadvertently trigger it, since when it comes to internal sounds, MODX Performances are limited to parts/channels 1 through 8. Off-hand, I don't see any downside to this unless you need to access more than 8 MIDI channels to trigger your iPad or other external sounds.

Thanks, that makes sense. I haven't had a chance to sit down with it since last night. I thought that the same performances on the MODX that were not triggering B-3X then were doing so, but it's possible I only played some that didn't have those extra sounds in them.

The one outlier is that piano/organ split. The B3X plays across both zones from top to bottom. (one internal with midi transmit off, one with local off transmitting on 2). So that one certainly seems iffy.

I considered that maybe I need to set up Zones for every patch I'm using (and turn midi transmit off) but I'm hoping that isn't necessary. More reading on Zones is needed.

Regardless I'll try channel 10 or so and if that works great. I need a few "set up for gig" simulations where things work as expected after being off/disconnected to feel more confident with this.

Didn't mean to derail into MODX/B-3X conversation, consider it a bump! (Saves me from cluttering the forum with another thread too)

EDIT - FIXED! Channel 10 works like a champ. Jeez.

So even my patch with the split had three piano parts (I just copied in an existing performance). I set the key ranges on all of them but perhaps didn't adjust the midi transmit to "off" on the one that was on channel 2.

In any event, this seems like a failsafe solution: just keep the Ipad synths (B-3X, maybe model D) on the higher channels.

Thanks, Scott!

A MODX module would be a no-brainer (as the build quality and key action are not my favorite aspects of the thing). Or a Montage module even more so if it ditches the wall wart. Doesn't seem like Yamaha has any plans for modules as the XS is the last one.

EDIT - FIXED! Channel 10 works like a champ. Jeez.

So even my patch with the split had three piano parts (I just copied in an existing performance). I set the key ranges on all of them but perhaps didn't adjust the midi transmit to "off" on the one that was on channel 2.

In any event, this seems like a failsafe solution: just keep the Ipad synths (B-3X, maybe model D) on the higher channels.

Thanks, Scott!

Excellent!

A MODX module would be a no-brainer ... a Montage module even more so if it ditches the wall wart.

I agree,- and it should come w/ 256 voice polyphony.

2HU rackmount w/ a larger display and some physical controls similar to a Roland Integra7 were welcome.

I´d imagine/accept a desktop module too.

A.C.

Anything good out there anymore? I see there is the intergra 7, but maybe it's much more than needed for live? It looks pretty complex and many use in their home studios. Also pricey, but an option.

Hopefully there is something out there that is pretty simple to use in a live setting with great sounds. Needs to have a decent AP for rock, great EPs, and strings/synths for Pink Floyd type stuff.

TIA

Here is an archaic but nice piece https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Sound-Canvas-SC-55-MIDI-MADE-IN-JAPAN-Generator-Charger/393153197528?hash=item5b89c1b5d8:g:OyQAAOSwQ9BgNkeM

This is not my listing, but I have one in pristine condition--I'd sell it to you if you're in the lower 48.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

TIA

The 1st and obvious question I should have asked is, what is your main KB. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"