Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any FL Studio users here?

I have not used it in years but have a lifetime update license for the producer edition and a few extra plugs. Years ago on KVR the creator/lead programmer told me he would NEVER update FL to handle multi core processors because that would be a waste of time. I sort of moved away from FL after that though I am sure he has since forgotten and updated his code for multi-core processor support. :) Anyway, I'm downloading the latest version to give it a play and searching YouTube for tutorials. Is anyone here still using it? Any suggestions for tutorials? If nothing else I can see myself using it to make loops for Live. Hmmm. Seems like I remember buying a FL book on Amazon written by some guy named Craig something or other. Wonder what that book is? Wonder if it is still relevant for the latest version?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be very interested to hear what you think. FL Studio has a pretty huge installed base and a lot of dedicated fans. I initially found it interesting, but it was more EDM/MIDI oriented. Wwhen Ableton Live appeared, and I could ReWire it with Sonar when I wanted looping/MIDI/hard disk recording, I felt that combo had much more potential for what I wanted to do.

I keep current on all the major DAWs (Studio One, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Cakewalk, Cubase, Pro Tools) but have not kept up with FL Studio. I've been debating whether I should spend a couple weeks learning it so I can incorporate what it does into my writing. So I'll be very interested to hear if you love it, or go "meh."

I've always found the main pattern screen a little off for me. I prefer polyphonic drum channels rather than one sound per channel. However, I installed the latest version with great interest because the FL method would be a great setting for implementing probabilities and multi hits the way Reason and even the Roland MC 707/101 have done. Unfortunately, there is no probability implementation in FL. Lots of people have asked for it on the KVR forum but I see no indication from the developer that it is coming. The developer has a rep for rejecting ideas as if protecting his turf until competition forces him to relent. I hope that is not the case here because the FL design would be a great setting for probability. Until that comes I cannot see spending too much time with it when I can make more interesting music with other formats. Everyone should be trying to catch up to Reason in this area.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page