Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Probably a stupid question

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can, as long as conditions are correct, ie. "Local" is turned on on the synth so that it's own keyboard sounds its own internal sounds.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Say I am using a controller, and am using it to control a synth or workstation, can I still play the synth live at the same time as the controller? I have usually taken a minimal approach to my live rig, and as such, don't know a ton.

The answer is almost always "Yes." I do that regularly with

• a Kurzweil PC3 plus an extra controller; and also with
  • a Roland AX-Edge keytar plus a separate controller.

Even my Casio stage piano has four channels available to the keyboard and 12 other channels available for driving by MIDI.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I presume you're asking about

- playing one sound, created by the synth's sound engine, from the synth's keyboard

while simultaneously

- playing a different sound, also created by the synth's sound engine, but played from the controller keyboard?

This is typically possible on modern equipment - some older equipment (my old Roland Juno 2, for example) might not.

What "synth or workstation" do you own, and what "controller"?

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, these are all the parts of the answer that we need to assemble. Do you want the two keyboards to play different sounds from the same synth, and what kind of gizmo is each one?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Just to elaborate more, basically I create a MULTI on the rack with all the sounds I use, then with the MOTIF, run it under SONG mode and just push the number of the sound I use. I would like to do the same thing with this setup, but also if um using multiple sounds at the same time be able to play the MOXF (example, using an organ sound with the controller, and a piano sound on the moxf

Say I am using a controller, and am using it to control a synth or workstation, can I still play the synth live at the same time as the controller?

It will work find if the synth or workstation has multi-timbral capability. Modern workstations are typically designed to do this, and will play in response to both midi inputs and live keyboard notes simultaneously.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone