Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos Expansion Pianos

I've recently bought a Kronos 61 which has 3GB RAM. I understand the original Kronos has 2GB but the box mine came with has a '+' sign so I'm guessing it was an upgrade before Kronos X came out. Anyone know for sure?

While I like the stock German Grand onboard, I'd like to buy an expansion AP.

I've noticed the demos you can download & try have such short samples before they die out, it's impossible to tell what's really happening with the sounds. YouTube comparisons are all over the map in terms of quality.

They aren't cheap! So before I do anything I'm asking if anyone has a preference among: Berlin (comes with the later Kronos models), Austrian, Italian and Bush's AcousticSamples Yamaha C7. I have his Mk1 & AcousKontra Bass and they're fabulous, so although the C7 is much less money with lower velocity layers than the others, it's in the running.

Any discussion would be appreciated!

Here for the gear.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if you want to check this out first, but there's a Yamaha C5 available. https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63876

Demo by our very own Sam CA:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Otherwise I'd think the Italian would be the best, followed by the Berlin.

Have you used the Japanese grand that comes stock as well yet?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks â yes, I've tried the Japanese grand but find the lower half of the keyboard lacking in character. Epic Grand leaves me flat, but that Salamander sounds more mature â great playing, Sam!

Having played the Berlin grand on the GrandStage and finding the fast sustain drop-off it may not be what I want, though I could marry it up with another set and mix the two. Really enjoying the editing possibilities on the Kronos. Great way to spend these rainy, west-coast Covid days.

Here for the gear.

I've recently bought a Kronos 61 which has 3GB RAM. I understand the original Kronos has 2GB but the box mine came with has a '+' sign so I'm guessing it was an upgrade before Kronos X came out. Anyone know for sure?

I've noticed the demos you can download & try have such short samples before they die out, it's impossible to tell what's really happening with the sounds. YouTube comparisons are all over the map in terms of quality.

They aren't cheap! !

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

if you have 3 GB ram, nothing more you can add to that.

Sounds like your prior owner, added a 1 GB ram stick to the original 2 GB factory.

yeah, the quick fade on the demos is annoying.

You could wait for a Korg shop sale,,, 2 or 3 times per year. 25 or 33% off, I forget which discount %

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

They're on sale now â ie: Berlin pack's $299 down to $249; Italian is $249 down to $199. That's on the US dollar, still hefty enough to only buy one.

I've modified the Steinway to my liking, but miss Una Corda the newer ones provide.

Here for the gear.