Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fulltone OCD

picker

Just picked up a Fulltone OCD V2 pedal. Fulltone had it on sale as a blem for $99, and I figured what the heck?

It has an internal switch to select between true bypass & "Enhanced Bypass". as well as the one on top that selects between

"high peak" & "low peak". I was wondering if anybody has experience with the pedal and the settings. How have you used it, and what did you think about it?

Talk to me, dudes...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny timing, as I just sold mine an hour ago on CL. But that's because I just received the new Custom Shop Germanium edition and prefer its wider range of settings. My OCD was a v1.4 so it was Geranium as well (or rather, hybrid Germanium with MOSFET).

When I bought my original OCD, I sold my Maxon overdrive tribute (based on the old Ibanez design, which Maxon was the original manufacturer for). The OCD in all of its forms, remains my favourite overdrive pedal as it is the one that to me sounds the most like driving a good amp.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'd really like to try one, myself- I find the recent OCD ge (germanium) to be particularly interesting.

I believe that the "High Peak" and "Low Peak" settings refer to harder clipping and softer clipping modes; HP being more of a hard clipped distortion sound, LP smoother and softer overdrive. But I have yet to try one in person. I've very nearly popped for one when they're available as price-reduced "Blems" direct from the Fulltone site.

I look forward to your further real-life reviews of your OCD, picker!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My recollection is that the V2 doesn't have any Germanium due to a shortage at the time. Does it have more than two MOSFET's?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Version 1.7 here. The OCD is the one pedal where I can hear the difference in 18v. I like the headroom. Settings depend on the guitar and amp. I like it but don"t use it much anymore because it was my high gain sound. My gain tones now come from the Boogie I got 3-4 years ago. The only pedal I will use is a tube screamer or EQ to focus it or tighten it up.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Version 1.7 here. The OCD is the one pedal where I can hear the difference in 18v. I like the headroom. Settings depend on the guitar and amp.

I've generally really liked the results I get with various pedals- that can take the higher voltage- being run on 18v or 15v or 12v. I have several (some of them Fulltones), love the option and will look for that as a feature when deciding on any new pedals. The increased headroom and dynamic-range are really nice.

I can easily see that sometimes greater compression and narrower dynamic range coming from running a pedal at 9v or even less might be a good thing, as well.

I'd highly recommend that anyone with a pedal like the OCD that can take 18v, try 18v, compare, and find what they prefer fop that pedal, with that guitar, amp, and style. You might find a whole new pedal underfoot!

Mike Fuller told me he wouldn't sell me a pedal if he was starving, I went ahead and bought a 2B boost anyway.

WHAAAT??!! Please, expound on this- I really DO NOT like the thought of him being that rude and mean to you.

I hope you bought a used 2B, and not a new one...

I know he's got a bad rep for being a cantankerous jerk and not having good 'people skills', but that makes me pause to reconsider ever buying anything from Fulltone again, maybe not even used...

It was about 3 years ago, I sent him an email asking how much it would cost for shipping to Hawaii. I received somewhat condensing reply. I emailed back apologizing and told i was still in school and was new at this and couldn't afford much now but could become a long time customer in the future. He replied saying I was entitled followed by words I can't repeat and ended by saying he wouldn't sell me a pedal if he was starving.

Now that I have found out since that's what he is, it wouldn't stop me from buying a Fulltone pedal,

Jenny S.

Smooth move Mike. ð. He"s a wanker. It"s usually part of his charm but he can also be an ass. But he does great work.

Most guys would probably explain that they were a relatively small business and couldn"t eat the shipping and stay in business. The margins are not huge as people may think. But at the same time they would want to be as encouraging as possible to a school kid.

Brian Wampler over engineers his components. Most everything (not the Velvet Fuzz and both Tumnus! You will release the magic smoke) will run at 18v but it doesn"t make any difference in the sound. Somethings due work better. Brian did a nice article on what does and doesn"t work better at 18v. I"ve tried 18v on the Ego Compressor. All you get is more volume. Brian uses 9v through his entire design process. If you want to hear what he hears run Wampler stuff at 9v.

The OCD at 18v is killer.

It was about 3 years ago, I sent him an email asking how much it would cost for shipping to Hawaii. I received somewhat condensing reply. I emailed back apologizing and told i was still in school and was new at this and couldn't afford much now but could become a long time customer in the future. He replied saying I was entitled followed by words I can't repeat and ended by saying he wouldn't sell me a pedal if he was starving.

That's pretty rude, to say the least. He could have just said the shipping was expensive- and maybe even given you an estimate of what it might cost YOU as a customer for shipping.

Now that I have found out since that's what he is, it wouldn't stop me from buying a Fulltone pedal

That's commendably mature and level-headed of you.

I haven't had a chance to try 18V yet, as I need to find my Voodoo Labs pedal power unit first (I am still settling in), but as for the high gain aspect, that's actually a huge benefit of this pedal when running it into a naked amp like the 50's Champ reissue (custom shop, as I recall, but definitely I paid around $900). I had tried it earlier with a fairly naked Orange Tiny Terror as well. I probably wouldn't see the point with my Mesa RA100.

What a schmuck! Reading Surfer Girl's story makes me sorry I bought the pedal. There are enough builders out there making pedals just as good or better that doing business with pus-heads like that isn't necessary.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Now that I have found out since that's what he is, it wouldn't stop me from buying a Fulltone pedal,

I would let him starve LOL! But +1 don't let an a$$ bite stop you from getting the sound you are after... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

What a schmuck! Reading Surfer Girl's story makes me sorry I bought the pedal. There are enough builders out there making pedals just as good or better that doing business with pus-heads like that isn't necessary.

I know what you mean, picker! I'm a big fan of his work, but... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean, picker! I'm a big fan of his work, but... :rolleyes:

I'm trying to understand this at all?

If I'm a guy making pedals for a living, and some young player bothers to write, asking about my products, it seems like it would be easier, and smarter, to send them a color catalog with a note that says "Good Luck!" or something like that, rather than take the time and effort to compose and SEND a hateful, obscene response?

Even if the initial inquiry did sound 'entitled' - "Hey, I'm gonna be a big star someday, so you should give me free gear!" - a response like "Send me a copy of your first hit album, and we'll talk then!" would be well-deserved, even witty, without being mean.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I guess that explains why my last two Fulltone purchases had to be done through Sweetwater; everyone else dumped him?