Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for live/studio rack case?

Hello all,

It looks like I'm going to be in the market for a rack case. I've recently acquired a Roland Fantom XR, E-mu Proteus/1, E-mu Mo'Phatt, E-mu PROformance Plus, and I may be getting a Korg N1r (or X5D but I don't want to deal with the battery issues) in the future as well. All 1u or 1/2 rack units. I'm toying with the idea of using one or more modules as a sound source with just a midi controller or any keyboard with 5-pin MIDI that I have, to have good usable sounds on tap for any gig situation. I'm also needing a place to have them set up for at home. For that reason, it looks like I'm going to need a rack case. I'm not interested in something that will weigh a ton because part of the whole point here is to have something portable. I also need the units to be well-protected.

Anyone here have any suggestions for a sturdy, fairly lightweight rack case that's 4-6U and good for both live and studio usage? I figure that there might be many folks here with significant experience with racks, but I haven't seen a thread for about three years. Portability and protection are priorities, though I'm not sure if those are mutually exclusive. I'm also hoping to not spend over $300.

I've seen these SKB Studio Flyer racks that look interesting. Not sure on long-term durability or quality.

Thanks!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lightweight such as SKB is not going to be well protected. You won't get both. Take it from experience.

I appreciate real-world advice, thank you. So you're saying something like this, which weighs in at 22 lbs, would not be sufficient in your experience?

ezgif-com-webp-to-jpg-2.jpg

What would your opinion be on this?

https://www.roadcases.com/6-space-6u-16-deep-1-4-ply-ata-amp-rack-case-closeout/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Roadcases.com are cheaply constructed junk. I've had too many cheap cases fall apart.

Polymer cases are not rugged enough for gigging and they warp when stored in a hot vehicle. I have seen too many warped cases where the lids no longer fit the rack.

I've tried many brands of road cases and Anvil ATA are the ones I keep coming back too. They don't fall apart and the protection is well worth the money. I always specify recessed handles and latches. They won't break or bend like those non-recessed ones on polymer or cheap "flight" cases.

"ATA" is a term that gets thrown around rather loosely. Anvil Cases are ATA compliant, last word is the key attribute. Most "ATA" cases are not compliant.

^^^ The Anvil stuff is solid kit.

To keep weight down go with 4 space racks. If you need 2 of them so be it. Each one will be much lighter than even a 6 space once it's filled in.

I have an 8 space, I think it's a Roto Rack? It holds gear, I'll give it that much. Way too heavy for me to consider transporting it and that's good because it is a piece of crap and would die a horrible death.

I only paid $50 for on craigslist so I can't really complain but it is not what you want. I've got way more than $50 invested in the contents. For sitting in one spot on a desk, it will be fine.

Mighty Max, it is noted from the Gear You Recently Posted Thread that you have good buzzard skills, begin hovering and swoop when you see the good stuff.

Buy nice or buy twice.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'd love someone to come up with a modular set up where there's a rack case and a stand so the rack is at either sitting or standing level during a gig. I currently use a OnStage X-stand with a shelf top, and then put my rack case on that and my laptop on top of that. It works well but if someone gave it a healthy bump things wouldn't go well....

I have lots of huge ones cluttering up my basement, but when I wanted a small, light but solid case for my UAD Expander and Hard Drives, I went with these folks and it is excellent.

RoadCasesUSA

If I may chime in:

What type of gigs might you be taking the rack to?

I have had great success with the newer SKB and Gator "roto-molded" cases that hold my Mac Mini, Audio i/o, wireless ears, etc.... I'm talking festival stages in Texas, to small clubs.

Here's an older 3 U case

RILGMx.jpg

and the backside

mJVUz4.jpg

Old 4U case prior to Mac Mini, still using Mac book Pro

caXzY3.jpg

Backside Hinged panel in case I need in

zwloMT.jpg

Everything attached in the front to the i/o panel I made, including the power connection via the Neutrik Power-con connector on the left.

This was my favorite rack build prior to going with the Mac Mini

3IjD4w.jpg

Here's the latest 4U I am working on right now. Move the i/o panel to the rear, and put a second i/o panel that hold the Powercon, and space for additional input and outputs. These are all test mock-ups for now

kpRVMc.jpg

Found a cool Tripplite power strip with outlets front and back, so my entire rig will be on the same power source. The power cable gets plugged into an external UPS

OErzaa.jpg

All in all, I've probably built 8 racks over the years. These Molded cases from SKB and Gator have served me well. If I were to be in a situation where roadies are loading my gear onto trucks or buses I would most like step up to Anvil or equivalent

As it stands, I'm the only one who loads my gear into y own vehicles.

On fly -in shows, I use my 3U case. It actually fits under the seat or overhead easily.

I had looked at the SKB Studio Flyers. I did not like the way they function as far as lids, rear rack rails, etc...

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I've had good luck with the SKB Roto Molded cases and feel like the current options don't suffer from warping etc. like ones from 20 years ago. I have a four and eight space SKB.

I've always had a penchant for custom Anvil-style and my current rig is a 3 space like this. I'll look for photos. I also have a 6 space that I still have though not using it as I don't need that much space currently. Plus it was heavy. I liked it when I was doing some road shows with a larger band and this would need to travel in a bus or equipment trailer. Here's a picture of the bigger rack:

k1kp2sk.jpg

Another vote here for the Gator/SKB molded rack case. :thu:

I keep a 6 space wtih a few empty slots just in case (no pun intended) I have a senior moment, er, run across a great deal on a tone generator. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Roadcases.com are cheaply constructed junk. I've had too many cheap cases fall apart.

Polymer cases are not rugged enough for gigging and they warp when stored in a hot vehicle. I have seen too many warped cases where the lids no longer fit the rack.

I've tried many brands of road cases and Anvil ATA are the ones I keep coming back too. They don't fall apart and the protection is well worth the money. I always specify recessed handles and latches. They won't break or bend like those non-recessed ones on polymer or cheap "flight" cases.

"ATA" is a term that gets thrown around rather loosely. Anvil Cases are ATA compliant, last word is the key attribute. Most "ATA" cases are not compliant.

This is all true. But I use the Roadcase.com stuff. It"s a lot lighter and they custom cut stuff and have pretty quick turnaround.

If I needed true ATA then Road Hawg is good and there is Anvil. But hell they are heavy.

But if you fly or use cartage the Roadcases may not survive long.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You can have this one really cheap!

Clonk

I'll take it, but only if it comes with everything in it as well. ;)

If I may chime in:

What type of gigs might you be taking the rack to?

I have had great success with the newer SKB and Gator "roto-molded" cases that hold my Mac Mini, Audio i/o, wireless ears, etc.... I'm talking festival stages in Texas, to small clubs.

No globe-trotting stuff. Mostly church gigs, solo/duo/trio gigs, maybe a few State Fair-level gigs or small festivals. Not planning on hitting it big any time soon lol. So no flying, no roadies. Maybe a friend or two would help out if they're at the venue, but otherwise it's pretty much just me moving stuff.

When I first got into racks for gigging, I bought a big 24 space one with the idea that I could put everything in it all pre-wired and ready from gig to gig.

After I left that band I got rid of the big rack. Too damn heavy. I own many racks now most of them are 10 space or smaller, largest one is 14 space and even those can be heavy.

To the op (mighty motif) I actually like that rack that you pictured a lot.(wheels, MBP clasps, etc. (exactly what case is that?) I have a rack about the Same size but much more primitive (soft case material over plywood with 19'rack mounts) definitely not ata but usable for my purposes.

If you want one that looks good on stage, I got a rack from this guy for a tube preamp and it came out great.

Casesmith Customs

They look superb!

To the op (mighty motif) I actually like that rack that you pictured a lot.(wheels, MBP clasps, etc. (exactly what case is that?) I have a rack about the Same size but much more primitive (soft case material over plywood with 19'rack mounts) definitely not ata but usable for my purposes.

I'm not the OP but I can tell you that's the SKB 4space "Studio Flyer" Despite my saying I didn't go with it in my previous post, it is a good, solid case, juts not for the way I set up my cases. Now that I know he's mostly using it at home/studio, with occasional church or small club gigs, I think it's a great choice.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

If you want one that looks good on stage, I got a rack from this guy for a tube preamp and it came out great.

Casesmith Customs

How's the build quality and weight on that one?

Casesmith Customs

Noah, I"m leaning toward one of these guys, but what"s the build quality and weight like on them?

I'm not the OP but I can tell you that's the SKB 4space "Studio Flyer" Despite my saying I didn't go with it in my previous post, it is a good, solid case, juts not for the way I set up my cases. Now that I know he's mostly using it at home/studio, with occasional church or small club gigs, I think it's a great choice.

After reading more reviews I"m not sure how I feel about the rack rails being plastic. Particularly due to a few reports that they can bend.

Apologies - I missed your reply earlier! The build quality is excellent, in my opinion. Solid wood frame, tightly covered in Tolex, great look to it. The guy built it as requested in just a few days and was real responsive to questions. I"d expect it"s heavier than molded plastic-type cases, but mine has two handles and I can easily lug it on stage from a car, etc. I"ll send a photo of mine if I can figure out how to do it on here.

The shop is also on Etsy so if you search there, you can find more reviews and contact the company with questions - they were quick to respond.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Apologies - I missed your reply earlier! The build quality is excellent, in my opinion. Solid wood frame, tightly covered in Tolex, great look to it. The guy built it as requested in just a few days and was real responsive to questions. I"d expect it"s heavier than molded plastic-type cases, but mine has two handles and I can easily lug it on stage from a car, etc. I"ll send a photo of mine if I can figure out how to do it on here.

The shop is also on Etsy so if you search there, you can find more reviews and contact the company with questions - they were quick to respond.

No worries. Thanks for that! I would love to see a picture of your setup if you can post that here.