Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: TATTOOS

picker

Saw this guy on the Oz version of "The Money Or The Mob". Amazing: he was this blue-black colour and the host asked him if he was actually a caucasian.

http://www.tattoodaily.com/mag/most_tattoo/most_tattooed.html

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2006/02/worlds_most_tat.html

Personally, I wouldn't want a tatt on me at all. I'd always be trying to wash it off under the shower.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang! You beat me to it, Rhino! I was going to say "Apparently life's too short to learn correct spelling or grammar." :D

No tats here and no desire for one.

There are long standing traditions and explicit prohibitions in Judaism against tattoos. The prohibitions say it is defiling the body God gave you. In modern times most Jews would never get a tattoo because of the practice by the Nazis of tattooing each prisoner with an identification number, in a way permanently stripping them of their identity.

Some of the art is amazing though.

I went to Guantanamao Bay, Cuba with a chick singer and her band. She fired half the band a month away from the trip and the guy supplying our PA knew the bass player from a 1990's hard rock band, Firehouse. So Perry came to Gitmo with us to play bass for a country act. That was a sight! Anyway, the point is every one of the guys in Firehouse have matching gorgeous tats on their right shoulder and arm.

Damn! I can't find a good shot online of his tattoo. I'll have to find the pictures from the trip and scan something...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Somebody told me Frank Iero was on there. And I was sad that I missed it, because I'm an MCR nerd, but those girls weird me out. That one who has her dimples pierced- !?!?

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

When I was in Medical School, this one professor told us that "if a patient had one tattoo, that was fine. If a patient had two tats, you should be concerned. If a patient had three or more tats, there is a psychiatric diagnosis......"

Today, it seems that tats are so "in vogue" that I don't think that the Prof's theory still holds water. However, in my experience in the E.R., there may be some merit to it!!!

Now, don't go ballistic!!! LOL...remember, by their very presence in the E.R. they have joined the "knife and gun club" (...I did quite a bit of Trauma Surgery...) which means that they are different than your average normal citizen who just happens to like tattoos.

By the way, I'll be calling my friend to see if his tattoo artist might be able to fit in another "O"..... LOL

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/MyNewLesPaul.jpg

Life's "to" short for bad tone, yes, but life's too LONG for misspelled tattoos! :eek:

Plus I think that guitar does say Hondo on the headstock. :laugh:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

By the way, I'll be calling my friend to see if his tattoo artist might be able to fit in another "O"..... LOL

Since this is a friend of yours and not just a pic found on a random website, I wasn't too sure if I should have brought the mistake up... but I guess I couldn't help it.

I hope he can take it with a laugh, too (and remedy to the situation)!

Yea, I'd say!!!

I've not seen this tattoo in person, only that picture. He told me it was his, but I've had my doubts......

I'm gonna call him on this....

I'll keep you posted!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

Not even close to a priority for me-but there are two types I find intriguing. One is by a guy in the Osaka area-quite far from here-who uses a traditional process with something like a hammer and chisel. It`s amazing work, popular among yakuza. I don`t know about that `no drink beforehand` idea, I think you`d want some knockout juice for that. Another type is from Thailand and it`s not really a tat, more like a spiritual mandala, the guy who does it is a priest and you don`t choose the design, he does according to his insight into your life path, which he determines after speaking with you. Angelina Jolie reportedly has one.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Just out of curiosity... what sort of comeback DO you have when the klutz at the tattoo parlour mispells common English words like "too"?

I'm sure they have their bases covered. They probably have you write down what you want on a piece of paper so they can say that they just wrote what you told them to write.

The funniest issue that's going around write now is with the Asian character tattoos. Some of these guys have been writing bad things like writing "ass" and then telling the customer that it says "Strength".

I read an article about them doing the same thing in Asia. The artist would string together a bunch of letter that he likes like "awjslk" and tell the customer it means "wise One" in English.

Yes, Angelina has one of those, as does Steve-O (of Jackass fame. Very interesting stuff. I don't think I want one of those.

Seriously, it's not THAT painful, but trust me when I say that it's best to be totally sober, well-fed and rested before you get inked.

The reason is simple--you will bleed a good deal, and your body doesn't like that too much. It's like willfully scraping off a whole bunch of skin... sort of like the results of falling off of a bicycle on concrete without the suprise of the falling part... and the bruising from hitting the ground. But the results are the same--a big-ass wound. When your body experiences a major upset like that, it tends to want to shut down to deal with it, so the first thing it does is make you conk out. If you're well-fed and sugared-up, you're much less likely to pass out. But if you've been drinking (or haven't eaten), your system is weakened, and you're extra susceptible to fainting.

Years ago, I took a buddy of mine to get his first ink--a lion of Judah on his arm--and he was nervous, so he had a few drinks beforehand. And he didn't eat. Now, this dude was about 6'6" tall, and a power forward for Temple University's basketball team. Needless to say, the guy was built like a brick wall. He sat down to get inked and got about 1/4 of the way into this smallish tattoo, and he started sweating like mad and getting light-headed. The artist stopped, and I was standing next to this giant dude, holding him up and asking what he had done before the session to put him in such a condition... he said, "I have no idea--I only had two beers." The artist had me go next door to the mini-mart to get him a bottle of Coke and some tasty cakes. I brought them back, he ate and drank and, after a break, things continued without event. And that was a smallish tatt--all told it was maybe 45 minutes of work.

On the flip side, when I took my my ex to get a portrait tattoo done on her upper arm (her WHOLE upper arm!), we had a big breakfast and brought snacks to the shop for the session. She sat for three hours and had breaks from time to time and never got light-headed once.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Not a fan of tatoos or body alteration of any sort.

I'm a military vet and I got ONE tatoo in Biloxi when I was 21.

I am now almost 50.

It's not a bad one and it's on my right shoulder so that a short sleeve can cover it.

It has had no meaning for decades now and I still wonder why I got it.

Yes, ALCOHOL was involved and 15 out of 16 of we drunk bastages got one the same day. :D

People, most of these things are PERMANENT and when you get one, it's just a small window of time that you are responding to your whims and they later on become irrellevent and you spend the rest of your life saying to yourself....WTF was I thinking. :D

Like CMDN said, think LONG AND HARD, EAT, BE OF SOBER MIND AND BODY before you do something like this.

If you get one, you only have yourself to blame.

Hey, my tatoo is hardly the end of my world.

All I'm saying is...explaining it gets old. :D

Randy

"Just play!"

Yes, Angelina has one of those, as does Steve-O (of Jackass fame. Very interesting stuff. I don't think I want one of those.

Seriously, it's not THAT painful, but trust me when I say that it's best to be totally sober, well-fed and rested before you get inked.

The reason is simple--you will bleed a good deal, and your body doesn't like that too much. It's like willfully scraping off a whole bunch of skin... sort of like the results of falling off of a bicycle on concrete without the suprise of the falling part... and the bruising from hitting the ground. But the results are the same--a big-ass wound. When your body experiences a major upset like that, it tends to want to shut down to deal with it, so the first thing it does is make you conk out. If you're well-fed and sugared-up, you're much less likely to pass out. But if you've been drinking (or haven't eaten), your system is weakened, and you're extra susceptible to fainting.

Years ago, I took a buddy of mine to get his first ink--a lion of Judah on his arm--and he was nervous, so he had a few drinks beforehand. And he didn't eat. Now, this dude was about 6'6" tall, and a power forward for Temple University's basketball team. Needless to say, the guy was built like a brick wall. He sat down to get inked and got about 1/4 of the way into this smallish tattoo, and he started sweating like mad and getting light-headed. The artist stopped, and I was standing next to this giant dude, holding him up and asking what he had done before the session to put him in such a condition... he said, "I have no idea--I only had two beers." The artist had me go next door to the mini-mart to get him a bottle of Coke and some tasty cakes. I brought them back, he ate and drank and, after a break, things continued without event. And that was a smallish tatt--all told it was maybe 45 minutes of work.

On the flip side, when I took my my ex to get a portrait tattoo done on her upper arm (her WHOLE upper arm!), we had a big breakfast and brought snacks to the shop for the session. She sat for three hours and had breaks from time to time and never got light-headed once.

Now granted, I don't know a whole lot about tattoos, but I was told that when you get a tattoo done, if it bleeds, they have gone too deep. A good tattoo should be as deep as possible without bleeding.

My tattoo is quite large and took about 1 1/2 hours to complete. It only bled in two spots and he apologized when it did.

I got the tattoo about 17 years ago and it hasn't faded (more then you would expect) or blurred/distorted in any way.

Passing out while getting a tattoo actually is not related to the bleeding. You'd have bleed much more than that in order to pass out from loss of blood.

The cause of the "passing out" when getting a tattoo, is called a "vasovagal response". It's commonly called fainting.

The bigger and tougher the guy, the more likely they are to faint. Big tough guys have an increased vagal tone, and when they experience the intense "fight or flight" response (i.e. they get SCARED), the autonomic nervous system kicks in, and you begin to see "cold clammy sweat" and your heart rate decreases. Your blood vessels loose their tone, and your blood pressure goes down. This is what makes you pass out.

Not eating, and being low on fluids, actually does make fainting more likely. Also, men are often more prone to fainting than women. The old saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" is very accurate.

Don

Yea, I'd say!!!

I've not seen this tattoo in person, only that picture. He told me it was his, but I've had my doubts......

I'm gonna call him on this....

I'll keep you posted!!

I e mailed my tattoo'ed bud who lacks a spell checker (LOL), and asked if in fact that tattoo was his. He sent me back a youtube video!! He did not say anything about the tattoo!!

I'll get to the bottom of this, one way or another.......

More later...........

Don

I'm clean and likely to stay that way.

Likely spent my life thinking about it but nothing's ever come to mind.

One thought I think I read here and that was a guy who got his favorite guitarist to sign him and then he had it inked. I'm kind of keen to that but getting Jimmy, Eric & Jeff to sign my arm isn't likely to happen any time soon.

I'm not ruling it out... plenty of life left in me... hopefully them too.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I'm clean and likely to stay that way.

Likely spent my life thinking about it but nothing's ever come to mind.

One thought I think I read here and that was a guy who got his favorite guitarist to sign him and then he had it inked. I'm kind of keen to that but getting Jimmy, Eric & Jeff to sign my arm isn't likely to happen any time soon.

I'm not ruling it out... plenty of life left in me... hopefully them too.

Man, talk about having some explaining to do..."So here we go again, here`s why I have a guy`s name tattoed on my arm" :D

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• 13 years later...

With the exception of my name on my right arm I was tat free mainly because I was only goi g to get one if I could have one that is relevant to me.

Well about two years ago I took the plunge and had one done on my left shoulder with reference to my star sign. No I don't follow my horoscope but it was away to personalise it. I think it's cool but not noticable unless I remove my shirt. It's a ram skull

No ink for me. One man I know who came to live with us as a early teenager is now a tat artist in Santa Clarita Ca. He was brought home by my first wife back in the day & he lived with us for about 5 years. I could get all the ink done that I want for free easily. But this old bad boy don't want any identifying marks on my body. (this attitude is from the old hippy days when weed was a big problem for the local officials back in the day)

When I was a teenager, I wanted a Tasmanian Devil tattooed on my shoulder. My mother told me that people who get tattoos when they"re young frequently regretted it when they got to their 40s because (among other things) it might hurt their ability to get a job.

So, when I turned 40 and was running my own company, I got the Taz tattoo. :taz:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

No piercings, no tattoos. Probably won"t get any.

If I had to choose, I"d probably go for a good tattoo of something that meant something to me. Those who know me personally may be surprised by that, given my love of jewelry. But the personal appeal of earrings, etc. to me is minimal at best.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/