Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Styx �Superstars� appreciation

Disclaimer: Before posting I read the posting etiquette guidelines, and I utilized the Search function, but I couldn"t find a related thread already started on this. Anyone else like this track generally, and particularly what DeYoung played on the synth (I"m referring to the arpeggiated chords) during some parts of the verses (to clarify what I"m talking about, it starts at about 1:01 into the track)? It always caught my ear when listening. Thoughts?

-John

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to prefer Equinox and blamed Tommy Shaw for giving the band "Journey lessons" . I now know I was mistaken and it was Tommy that kept the hard rock element in there. Dennis added alot to the band . His keys contributed to synths and organ being important to late 70s rock music. His theatrical side ultimately demised the band.

Tommy describes 60k texas festival concert goers flipping styx the bird finger while they were wearing red jumpsuits and singing secret secret I've got a secret.

FunMachine.

I was a huge Styx fan as a youngster and still like many of their albums. I had all of them up through Kilroy (ugh)--including the four pastel-colored first four they put out before Equinox. Back when JY was doing most of the lead vocals (though of course the biggest hit from those was Lady.)

When I was just getting into playing synths, I absolutely loved that lead sound DDY used to use, the one with the 5th prominent (I guess it was an Oberheim 4-voice?). Really all of the synths sounded great on those records. I'd say Pieces of Eight is right up there as my favorite along with Grand Illusion. Paradise Theater was good in its own way, yes it was theatrical but it wasn't cheesy like Kilroy.