Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Mojo

If you are referring to the colour-changing logo between the manuals: i always turn up the drive to my taste and then the colour fits perfectly well to the colour of the wood. :-)

Wait...are you saying that the logo changes >cringe< colours? Based on what settings? Didn't see any mention of it in the manual... omg the guys at crumar seem to really have a passion for christmas trees (see the Seven). My personal opinion of course, but I really hate gear full of bright lights, especially in multiple colours...apart from the aesthetic factor, I find them blinding on dark stages.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, you may have tried, but before you turn on anything in your rig, ground yourself to anything that will disperse any static charges that have built up. Winter is notorious for this; touch the screws in a switch plate, or even the metal corner bead on the edge of Sheetrock corners. Yes, I"ve gotten zapped like that. I also recommend touching your rig stand and hold it for a second or so, put your foot on the fc7, then turn on your rig as normal. Sounds nuts but this works, AND if you walk away or leave the rig while it"s running, be sure to ground out again, just grab the stand. Besides the snap charge on the finger, I can hear the discharge faintly in my amp. Good luck! â¡ï¸

If you are referring to the colour-changing logo between the manuals: i always turn up the drive to my taste and then the colour fits perfectly well to the colour of the wood. :-)

Wait...are you saying that the logo changes >cringe< colours? Based on what settings? Didn't see any mention of it in the manual... omg the guys at crumar seem to really have a passion for christmas trees (see the Seven). My personal opinion of course, but I really hate gear full of bright lights, especially in multiple colours...apart from the aesthetic factor, I find them blinding on dark stages.

The logo is green on startup (maybe 3 seconds) and then the colour indicates how much drive you dialed in with the drive pot. No drive = same colour as the lit buttons (yellowish), then it gradually turns red. The colour doesn't change while playing.

I have to agree with you on the Seven... :-)

The logo is green on startup (maybe 3 seconds) and then the colour indicates how much drive you dialed in with the drive pot. No drive = same colour as the lit buttons (yellowish), then it gradually turns red. The colour doesn't change while playing.

Now,- w/ the next update,- it should turn blue before it crashes !

BLOD (blue logo of death)

:D

A.C.

I really like this 'chop' design. Would be great for gigging clubs, Especially at 39 pounds. They are also making a reverse colored keyboard for this model. Pretty cool

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hi,

The only problem is: the attached sustain pedal cannot be routed to channel 4 or 5. When you enter the Mojo Editor you can choose the behavior of the sustain pedal. You can choose it to "hold" on all or a specific manual. When I choose it to hold lower manual, the Midi control from the sustain pedal is only send via Channel 2.

So, to get the sustain pedal to work with an external sound source, IMO there are two work arounds so far:

1) don't use the "manual off" function and rather just put all drawbars to zero, so that there is no internal sound. Set your receiving midi device to Channel 2 for to be played with the lower manual.

2) on the ipad use something like midiflow and filter out the Midi CC from Channel 2 and redirect it to channel 5 in the app. Set the receiving midi to channel 5.

I just had an email discussion with Crumar customer support. They have decided not to address this issue in sw updates. Basically the reasoning was that Mojo Classic is after all meant to be "just" a very good organ and not a MIDI controller. Beginning to implement further adjustability would inevitably lead to difficult compromises.

I kind of understand their point, but still have to considered if the Classic is for me after all. Would be nice to use the lower manual for some SW Rhodes..

J.

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Still editing...damn.

I notice percussion is greatly affected by the Leslie sim. It gets louder than when sim is off.

Trying to get unnecessary character out of this thing.bI I do not want it to alter basic organ tone.

Got the sim OFF to sound pretty good. C/V etc.

Sim editing still driving me nuts. I would LOVE to eliminate percussion from the sim. Have everything else spin. Sim alters percussion too much IMO...on most other clones also BTW.

I just had an email discussion with Crumar customer support. They have decided not to address this issue in sw updates. Basically the reasoning was that Mojo Classic is after all meant to be "just" a very good organ and not a MIDI controller. Beginning to implement further adjustability would inevitably lead to difficult compromises.

I kind of understand their point, but still have to considered if the Classic is for me after all. Would be nice to use the lower manual for some SW Rhodes..

J.

Oh, that's a pity. Guido said he would change it, but that was a while ago (in this thread!).

In my opinion this Crumar's answer is confusing. If it is only meant to be an organ (and it is quite a good one!) why did the build a sustain connection into it?

I think changing this issue would take same major MIDI re-programming, yes.

Anyway, there are some work-arounds as I mentioned earlier. I saw a guy who used a Yamaha Reface, which he played with the Mojo keys but connected the Sustain directly to the Reface.

Meanwhile I hope Guido will stand to his earlier post.

Cheers

Still editing...damn.

I notice percussion is greatly affected by the Leslie sim. It gets louder than when sim is off.

Trying to get unnecessary character out of this thing.bI I do not want it to alter basic organ tone.

Got the sim OFF to sound pretty good. C/V etc.

Sim editing still driving me nuts. I would LOVE to eliminate percussion from the sim. Have everything else spin. Sim alters percussion too much IMO...on most other clones also BTW.

Sorry, would you mind explaining what you want to achive?

The Leslie should not alter the basic organ tone?

Or it should not rise the Percussion level? In this case you could simply lower the Percussion Volume seperatly.

Most Leslie sims emulate not just the spinning effect itself, but the frequency response of the Leslie speaker/cabinet as well, which cuts highs. Maybe that's why the percussion is more noticeable when the sim is off?

I would LOVE to eliminate percussion from the sim. Have everything else spin. Sim alters percussion too much IMO...on most other clones also BTW.

The idea of hearing the percussion straight and having everything else spin is unusual. Is this a sound you've heard on a recording you're trying to emulate? If you eliminated the percussion from the sim, it would not be authentic to a real Hammond+Leslie, since on the real thing, the percussion obviously goes through the spinning speakers as well and so is subject to the same doppler effect... but it was possible to send sound to a Leslie and stationery speaker simultaneously. If that approach would give you the sound you're after, there are some clones that provide ways to do that. The Numa Organs have a direct output with no Leslie effect that you can use simultaneously with its main output that has its leslie effect, so you could mix the two. On the Nord Stage 3, you can layer your upper and lower organ sounds to play them together, and you can choose to put one through the Leslie and the other not, so you could layer the drawbar sound through Leslie with the percussion sound straight, which sounds like it would do exactly what you want (for a price). I don't know off-hand whether any other clonewheels/modules have similar functionalities.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Of course wanting percussion to not be affected by the sim is unusual!

But if you will notice...the sim affects the percussion in an unusual way. There seem to my ear to be harmonic peaks in the percussion when the sim is added.

You are correct...one way to deal with this would be to add percussion tone from a module... I have HX 3...and see if it improves.

That is my beef with many Sims...affects percussion too much...sounds in natural.

Numa 1 was one of the best for not affecting percussion.

I am not wild about Mojo factory settings...trying to get this miked business OUT.

BTW don't care if it is authentic to real hammond leslie.. To me sim percussion is the thing that does not sound authentic.

I have to turn Mojo percussion way way down with sim on.

Viscount also does this somewhat ...tgat just what I hear...maybe not you.

My logic is...Hammond excluded percussion from having tremelo when they added it to organs with C/V. A decision made BTW by the late great Alan Young. I am glad he did that..

[...] Guido said he would change it, but that was a while ago (in this thread!).

In my opinion this Crumar's answer is confusing. If it is only meant to be an organ (and it is quite a good one!) why did the build a sustain connection into it?[...]

Yes, I said this would be addressed in a future update, but then I realized that there is nothing to address, because the sustain pedal input (and this also answers to your question) has been added because the sound generator itself supports sustain. From the global options (accessible through the editor) you can choose how to use the sustain pedal, for switching between rotary speeds (slow/fast) or for sustaining notes, and in this case you can choose between upper only, lower only or both. The only Midi functionality is that it always generates the CC #64 message sent on the Basic Channel, i.e. the one you set in the editor and that corresponds to the upper manual in normal playing mode. This is how this instrument was conceived and it's how it works. I'm sorry if my previous answer was misleading.

Guido.. Hello! Met you at NAMM a few years back at Red Key Lounge.

I now have Mojo module. I like it quite well...chorus vibrato very good.

I may have questions. One of them is....when you sampled all those organs, do they share the same percussion sample?

On many reference headphones I get percussion that us a bit louder on C C# and D fifth octave than any B3/ A100 I have.

I found one pair of headphones that helps this .

So I wonder if percussion is global.

I use slow decay 3rd harmonic BTW...88800000 ..you know...

My one question for now.

I may have questions. One of them is....when you sampled all those organs, do they share the same percussion sample?

I don't think the Mojo includes any organ samples. AFAIK, it's all modeled. But I guess that just changes your question as to whether there is only one modeling algorithm for the percussion, which is shared among all the modeled organs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

when you sampled all those organs, do they share the same percussion sample?

The word "sample" is out of context here, there are no samples, the whole organ sound is modeled, it means that it's reconstructed by digitally modeling every single element of the real Hammond organ.

Now, in a real Hammond organ, if you adjust the balancing of the whole tonewheel generator (or replace the capacitors) not only the drawbar sound changes, but the percussion sound changes as well, as a consequence of being part of the sound produced by the same generator.

For example, when you play the middle C note on the upper manual and the percussion is set on THIRD, what you hear is a copy of the same tone produced by the same note with the 5th drawbar pulled out. It comes from the same generator, but takes a secondary route, skips the V/C circuitry and passes through a VCA whose amplitude level is regulated by an envelope generator (that produces the percussion decay).

This exact scheme is replicated in the Mojo.

OK...percussion volume shared among all MODELS. I stand corrected.

Different organs do have different percussion volume levels. On my B3 at home nothing is loud beyond B in the 4th octave.

In that case I have to be pretty selective about speakers and headphones.

I can hear loud percussion volume as one thing that stands out on recordings of various clonewheels in upper registers.

Like I said I have some phones that address this. And of course using slow decay makes it even more .

We are having an ice storm here in Oregon. Power is out..its freezing cold..nothing else to do.

Nice to have discussion with Guido regarding Mojo percussion.

Mitch Townes and I had a debate going awhile back regarding upper octave of Mojo vs. Key B which appears to be one major difference between those two instruments.

Trying not to be too nitpicky but there appears to be a different approach going on which could be a factor to discerning players.

Have had Mojo module for 3 weeks and I can see what Mitch is talking about.

Key B does back off that top octave. It may not cut like the Mojo. If that is what you are looking for.

Back in the day of the Yahoo clonewheel group many people were buying Speakeasy tube preamps to warm up the digital organs.

I never thought it was really needed.

So to me it's in the decision of the design. What I hear in Guidos MODELS are mostly different levels of clarity...some not as bright sounding etc. I.am not hearing tremendous differences in bass response etc. Or percussion levels...but it gives some nice options that I appreciate.

I have to say that one of the more interesting examples of a clonewheel vintage option is in the Key B. It is Elvios 1930s BC model. Not only is the bass incredible but the chorus vibrato response is unique and a true work of art.

I can't say I agree with having all those models of Hammonds and having them all share the same percussion.

Third harmonic percussion definitely louder in upper octave than Key B is. Ling percussion decay...no Leslie sim.

Fortunately I found some headphones to address this... Turtle Beach Elite Pro. A gaming headphone I guess. For some reason tames those percussion tones.

Probably a bitch to give all those models their own percussion but when I hear different Hammonds I gear different percussion response.