Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

way OT: Making Plans or not for Valentines

I am being assaulted to buy flowers , order chocolate , $40 popcorn...etc

Hah. Never gonna happen. My wife sez don't waste $$.

So what do we do.. hmmm

1) made a list of expensive restaurants wife and I went to past 20 years

2) made a list of keyboard stands, and expansion cards, etc etc and keyboards owned past 25 years

This may sound un-exciting. Don't follow my lead.

I lack imagination

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite way to celebrate Valentine's Day is to hit the grocery store the day after and pick up a bunch of candy at 50% off.

My wife approves of this, as I tell her I love her on Valentine's Day no more or less than I do on any other day (i.e. several times, usually without warning), and hey, cheap chocolate.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I understand retailers have to make $$$. But the gouging for flowers at grocery stores bites my big toe.

Thus I stay away.

[70's Songwriter]

lol

One"s spouse, even the most down to earth and frugal, appreciate the sentiment. As long as you"re sincere and you went out of your way to say something, do something, share something - she"ll be happy.

I"m broke, it"s not going to be a luxurious gift. And she"s not interested in eating out these days anyway. Take out, a card and time together it is! ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

lol

One"s spouse, even the most down to earth and frugal, appreciate the sentiment. As long as you"re sincere and you went out of your way to say something, do something, share something - she"ll be happy.

I"m broke, it"s not going to be a luxurious gift. And she"s not interested in eating out these days anyway. Take out, a card and time together it is! ;)

good advice.

I have it figured- going to power wash the garage floor for V-day. ;)

[70's Songwriter]

My wife is teh awesum. I don't have to get her anything for birthdays, holidays, etc., but when I do she just loves it. There's no expectation and definitely no demand, but sheer pleasure from her when something cool appears for her. I'm mostly the same way, she got me a couple of those synth pillows for my birthday because I half-jokingly suggested it, I completely forgot I did, so when they appeared in my studio it was an awesome surprise.

(The "Mini Synth" and "Vintage Synth" on this page)

Sort of for Christmas I ordered diploma frames for us (I ordered them Black Friday but they didn't arrive until January). Of our four degrees, only one had been framed. I finally got frames for the three and I could tell how much she dug it. Makes us look like a couple of smarty-pants, too. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This year, we are going to a Ballroom Dance. (we also take group classes there). Since they reopened, they only allow a certain number of couples, each couple dances with each other, tables and chairs are placed well apart, social distancing is observed.

We will be wearing items we bought last year for the (close to) Valentine's party. She has a dress with little hearts all over it, I have a black shirt with white and red hearts all over it. (I found a true Shamrock Green shirt with some gold accents for the St. Patrick's Day occasion this year, only had a really green tie last year, and it got cancelled anyhow).

She likes flowers, but we agree that prices are way out of line. It IS important to do something that shows some thought, and is special..

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I gotta do something for my wife -- her birthday is Feb 15. Usually it's takeout. I'm no good at this....

When I was married, my ex's birthday was Nov 22, Christmas was December 25th, our anniversary was January 23. I was completely out of gift ideas and romantic gestures by the time Valentines Day would come around three weeks later, like when you've already pulled the cables out and taken your tie off and the client asks for another half hour. I'd just order nice flowers and have them include a card, and be done with it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think to plug my 90 originals I composed inspired by Valentines Day ;)

Happy Wife Happy Life is an example"

Anyway, I bought my wife a gourmet popcorn assortment:

https://www.thepopcornfactory.com/?r=09pfgoonon&gclid=CjwKCAiAsaOBBhA4EiwAo0_AnPyPotPOf4O1kqIJOIeb9KoRjjdB6WriYS64sKPgfDZZvOl5ZVhxxRoCgDIQAvD_BwE

She bought me a Norelco shaver. After 20 years of struggling with $3 Bic shavers I was overdue for an upgrade.

Happy Face is a Happy Life :D

[70's Songwriter]

Edible Arrangement pickup on Friday night. Chillin' out today. My wife and I decided many years ago to do Melting Pot reservations for a week or two after V-Day. It's not $300 and you get the same experience!

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

A card & a Whitman sampler. Plus 2 nights of gourmet dinners - last night Wagyu filet mignons med. rare on the grill with truffle butter, garlic & rosemary roasted potatoes & a Ceasar salad. Tonight stone crab claws, blanched asparagus w/butter & sea salt and a side of pasta Bolognese, Almost forgot a $500 bottle of wine (I only payed about 1/5 of that when I bought it almost 2 decades ago - I buy 'em young and cellar them; I seem to have a pretty good palate for knowing which will be worth it). Flowers are out, unless they're live in a pot. I've given her so much jewelry over the years that she's giving it away to her sisters & nieces, so no more of that!

LOL. Fancy. Expensive.

My wife doesn't care about V-day. We had left over spaghetti.

We have other priorities. Mortgage is getting paid off in April [ a big deal here in CA]

and she is retiring from teaching June 1. No more public school teaching chaos.

[70's Songwriter]

Our wedding anniversary is in late february, so we agreed valentines day is a waste of time. This allows us to take advantage of post v-day clearance prices like someone else said, and we don't deal with increased restaurant traffic (when that applies, obviously it's different during covid hell).

Yesterday, the extent of the romance was getting busy after we woke up. We spent most of the day apart, she had a crabcake dinner with her parents while I played music with my dad. It was a good sunday.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

We went out for dinner and a movie the night before as I had to coach cricket on Feb 14th. My lovely wife is happy to let me have a very long leash when it comes to my twin passions of music and sport.

Our cricket captain"s birthday falls on Valentine"s Day (I"m fairly certain she"s not Josh Paxton"s wife, though) and she was able to play well plus the team did the right thing by her and brought home the win.