Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Genesis recording Blocks album

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. I have to admit the blocks album was a wrenching change for me. After ABACAB, I was hoping they could go back to something like Duke. With time I have come to enjoy it, particularly Home by the Sea 1 and 2 which remind me of earlier Genesis. Enjoying the videos very much! :cheers:

Due to my age (started really listening to music around this time), I listened to this album before ever hearing older stuff...Yes, same thing with 90125. I can see how those newer versions of the bands could be pretty jarring. The blocks album is on the sd card playing in my car, it's always been one of my favorites. Illegal Alien is a bit cringey now that I listen.

Tony Banks IMO has something in common with Richard Tandy from ELO and some others--great players whose keyboard parts you can sing along with, they are just as much a part of the song melodies as the vocals.

I saw the Invisible Touch concert in a stadium, worst show I ever saw because I was on the opposite end. They were like little ants on the stage. At least for once the volume wasn't too loud!

Yeah, those were my first Genesis and Yes experiences too. I still like the mix of prog with a hook, rather than depressing droning over Mellotron. Invisible Touch was a bit too much pop and I never even listened to "I can't dance" except for the single. Though like Tony said, they survived the 80s where most other prog bands didn't (until 90125.)

After watching this I bought the Arturia Synclavier V, which was (is?) on sale for $75. I really like it. With the Prophet 10 I'm well on my way to recreating his setup in 1983. :)

After watching this I bought the Arturia Synclavier V, which was (is?) on sale for $75. I really like it. With the Prophet 10 I'm well on my way to recreating his setup in 1983. :)

Tony's Synclavier sounds from that album can be had here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87534.0

And here's the entire "making of" for the 1983 album in one video:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

• 7 months later...

Rather than start a new Genesis thread, thought I'd post this here.

Has anyone seen video of the current Genesis tour?

I just watched some and it mostly sounds good and the stage setup is awesome. The optics are a little different with Phil sitting down but then again, I ain't young anymore either. This is a time of aging heroes. It's still fun watching them play and this is probably the last time they'll be out. Tony doesn't smile much, but I still get chills during his Cinema Show solo.

Thankful for the memories.

Steve Coscia

I have been watching them and enjoying it. Phil struggles a bit but the general playing is quite intentional and musical. They remind me a bit of 'seconds out' period in the band which was looser (and to my taste) more musical than some later periods.

Nice to hear them doing a very different setlist than the two previous tours. I like how they reworked a few familiar songs.

Clearly everyone (the band and audience) should be happy that Phil is alive and present in his current capacity. He is obviously quite frail. It saddens me but it does not matter in terms of being a worthwhile show to attend. They are good in so many ways. Even if all they can contribute is a fraction of what they have been it is enough. The Jumbotron backdrop makes their frailness intimate. I would not have it any other way. No one is attempting to mask reality. It is a "Come to see us before we are gone" show that is not pretending to be a big party.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/uaX3e1jZHHE

[video:youtube]

I love that Phil brings out his playful relationship with the crowd in the middle of concert, reprising his tambourine solo and the audience participation humor. I also love the use of a melodic bit from 'Stagnation' in the breakdown section of 'I know what I like.' I can"t say who wrote that bit, fifty years ago, but it sounds Banksian. It"s a beautifully symmetrical arpeggiated melody, foreshadowing the many melodies that Tony Banks would write for this seminal band.

In the latest vids, it looks like Tony is using an old Korg 01/W fd (prob as a controller - doesn't look like there's any audio cables), some type of Roland 88 and his Oasys again. There's a Macbook on the rack, so I'm assuming mainstage or similar.

In the latest vids, it looks like Tony is using an old Korg 01/W fd (prob as a controller - doesn't look like there's any audio cables), some type of Roland 88 and his Oasys again. There's a Macbook on the rack, so I'm assuming mainstage or similar.

Yes, I believe the 01/W and Roland keyboards are controllers with sounds coming from Mainstage and the OASYS. I couldn't tell from the pictures whether Tony had that large rack of modules he used on the last couple of tours. A rig rundown/interview would be awesome.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I'd love a rig rundown of the Invisible Touch tour. That's a dream rig....Synclavier II, ARP Quadra, Prophet 10, DX7, Emulator II, CP70/80, and a couple refrigerator sized racks. Mmmmm....gear.

I'm SOL unless I get some kind of time machine.

Having seen "The Lamb" performed live when it was released, I think this concert would make for a gratifyingly full last showing. I loved it. Added cheers for Phil, who soldiered on so well.

I was more of an Emerson acolyte early on, but between Tony's classic Richard-Wright-like support and the total band effect, Genesis was my best prog influence. Along with "Charm," this is one of my favorite solo songs by Tony.

"Big Man" from "Bankstatement" 4:16

Samples & sound effects on "Big Man' 2:48

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

How is his son as a drummer? Is he as good as or better than his dad?

I saw this interview and was blown away by how frail Phil looked and sounded. I'm surprised he can sing as much as he seems to struggle to talk. :( I'm glad they're getting this tour out there since it's probably his last.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I saw this interview and was blown away by how frail Phil looked and sounded. I'm surprised he can sing as much as he seems to struggle to talk. :( I'm glad they're getting this tour out there since it's probably his last.

I'm glad they're out there giving it another go. The band sounds great but it is hard to watch Phil, I agree he looks and sounds so frail.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Nic is a solid drummer. There are already a ton of YT videos of the tour if you're curious, including a full-length, multi-camera shot of the entire show and a full high-quality audio boot. Phil's singing is noticeably hindered by his condition, but he manages well enough and there are 2 backup singers.