Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Abstrakt Instruments VS-1 Oberheim OB-X

Hi all,

In my quest for a 'forever synth", I stumbled across this OB-X clone. It definitely has the tone I"m after.

Abstrakt VS-1

It"s funded via Kickstarter. Unfortunately I can"t seem to get any response via email to questions around shipping and voltage (240v) requirements.

Perhaps someone here has joined the Kickstarter?

Perhaps I should just wait to see what Sequential do with their recently purchased patent.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - good to hear from an owner.

I didn't really vibe with the OB6, especially the envelopes - I felt they behaved in an unexpected way.

Does your OBX require a lot of maintenance?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I did a major restoration on my OBX back in 2013. Since then I only did voice card calibration once.

Unrestored OBX will need a LOT of maintenance.

My buddy Eric Frampton has been walking folks through just such a restoration on Facebook. The first few posts were fascinating... by the time he got to the tenth, I was having heart palpitations. NOT for the faint of heart!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I did a major restoration on my OBX back in 2013. Since then I only did voice card calibration once.

Unrestored OBX will need a LOT of maintenance.

My buddy Eric Frampton has been walking folks through just such a restoration on Facebook. The first few posts were fascinating... by the time he got to the tenth, I was having heart palpitations. NOT for the faint of heart!

It's a major job. I'll spare the horror of my OBX webpage, but suffice to say they have a LOT of parts that don't age well, and some design errors to be corrected.

My buddy Eric Frampton..

I met Eric out on the road somewhere. He was playing in an opening act for Diffie. A remarkably nice, likeable guy. We clicked immediately and discovered we knew a lot of the same organ literature.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I own an OBX

I heard demos of the VS-1

It's good but not quite an OBX. The OB6 is better. Or wait for the DSI OBX reissue.

The guy also builds OB-X voice cards and some people have them in their OB-X´s...to get an 8-voice out of a 4-voice...

AFAIK they can´t hear any difference...

I also like that he spent a lot of time to get the tuning "right"..on the VS-1..a new modern "tighter" tuning and a "vintage" one

THIS is where all modern analog polys "fail" IMO....the OB-6 is just too "sterile"

If Sequential will release an OB-X, they will probably screw it up just like the new "Prophet 5"....

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer