Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Chick Corea

From his official Facebook page:

It is with great sadness we announce that on February 9th, Chick Corea passed away at the age of 79, from a rare form of cancer which was only discovered very recently.

Throughout his life and career, Chick relished in the freedom and the fun to be had in creating something new, and in playing the games that artists do.

He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather, and a great mentor and friend to so many. Through his body of work and the decades he spent touring the world, he touched and inspired the lives of millions.

Though he would be the first to say that his music said more than words ever could, he nevertheless had this message for all those he knew and loved, and for all those who loved him:

'I want to thank all of those along my journey who have helped keep the music fires burning bright. It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It"s not only that the world needs more artists, it"s also just a lot of fun.

'And to my amazing musician friends who have been like family to me as long as I"ve known you: It has been a blessing and an honor learning from and playing with all of you. My mission has always been to bring the joy of creating anywhere I could, and to have done so with all the artists that I admire so dearlyâthis has been the richness of my life.'

Chick"s family will of course appreciate their privacy during this difficult time of loss.

RIP. Hard to find the words right now.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell is going on??? ---- https://en.mediamass.net/people/chick-corea/deathhoax.html

If it is true that's incredibly sad news ... if it's not, then there are some very weird people about...

EDIT: 12.2.21 The link above has now been modified. Here's a screen grab of what was originally posted: www.jp137.com/lis/C.C.Hoax.jpg

(Not really sure why these folk decided it was a good idea to post this very sad news as a 'hoax' ?? )

We now know it is true - Difficult news to take in... a huge loss to both the world of music and to his family and friends of course --- RIP Chick

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

What the hell is going on??? ---- https://en.mediamass.net/people/chick-corea/deathhoax.html

If it is true that's incredibly sad news ... if it's not, then there are some very weird people about...

It has been confirmed via his social media accounts. I think that website might just have an automatic entry for every celebrity; it probably has existed for a while

Whoa! Shocking and devastating doesn"t begin to state how I feel. I saw him most recently with the Trilogy trio in November of 2019. During that amazing show I was reminded of the the very first time I saw him with Return To Forever in 1975. It occurred to me, the first time I was in high school and now here as a retiree. I saw him many times through the years and always in different configurations but still unique and alway challenging himself. No musician occupied my musical life as much as Chick. RIP maestro.

It has been confirmed via his social media accounts. I think that website might just have an automatic entry for every celebrity; it probably has existed for a while

https://www.facebook.com/chickcorea

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I'm so sad to hear this news. Chick Corea was a giant of jazz and a profound influence for many of us. I spent countless hours woodshedding to his music in high school and college.

I was lucky to see him in the '70s on Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior tour and later on the two piano tour with Herbie Hancock.

Lately, I'd been enjoying Chick's YouTube channel.

His passing leaves a deep void in the music world.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Just Totally Devastated :(:cry: !

He looked to be in excellent health, easily 15 to 20 years younger then his age since he lost all that weight. Unfortunately Cancer doesn't care about all that.

He's been a Super Hero for over 50 years. I first saw him at the Mississippi River Festival in Edwardsville, Il.. A popular outdoor festival on the campus of SIU Edwardsville, IL., just across the river from St. Louis, with the original RTF in the summer of 1974. It was a year and a half after "Light as a Feather" came out and Spain was gaining in popularity.

I can't begin to fathom how I would have played, or thought about music, had there never been a Chick and his music. Me along with how many other tens of thousands from my generation, generations before, after and without a doubt, future generations after I'm long gone. If you were an aspiring Jazz player, on ANY instrument, or even a musician with Jazz interests, it would literally be impossible NOT to be influenced by him or his music in some way, shape or form.

An incredibly sad day.

Don't have much to say at the moment. Dave Ferris said lots of what I would. He is one of my top faves in terms of the amount of times I've listened to his music, studied his music and gone to see him play. I didn't expect this so soon.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

His major discography takes a small portion of the sting out of this. I greatly enjoyed him across the board, such as his riveting ECM album "Crystal Silence," with Gary Burton. However, I consider this to be Chick at his fluid, emotive best. Its one of THE finest instrumentals I have ever heard, in every way.

His work will always be something to which you should aspire. Good luck with that, of course! Salud. :cheers::keys2:

Song To John, by Stanley Clarke, with Chick Corea

watch?v=_UIhWTSBr_c

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

This one really hurts.

There is no greater musical hero for me than Chick. "Light as a feather" was my introduction to jazz, and I never looked back. The scope of his playing and compositions is beyond comprehension. He could do anything. I saw him in countless different configurations. His live performances, I think, outstripped his albums (though they were consistently great).

And he was also a truly sweet man.

Rest in Peace Chick, thanks for the incredible music - it will live on forever.

It's been quite a while since I listened to Chick Corea play but the last time was on a car trip from Santa Cruz to Palm Springs in California. My brother and I went to join our sisters for a sibling reunion.

It was a full moon, we were driving in the desert and my brother's phone dropped service so we didn't really know quite how we ended up on a well worn 2 lane road out in the middle of nowhere.

I saw the lights of Palm Springs off yonder so I aimed in that direction. My brother put on Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. I don't know the name of the piece but Chick was panned far to one side and Herbie Hancock far to the other. They were telling stories with eerie dissonant meanderings, very subtle and very hypnotic. Just a short ways into the piece, I had to pull over and just listen, I couldn't pay enough attention to the road to safely drive.

When it ended, I took a deep breath, and asked my brother to play something simple and stupid so I could get us to Palm Springs. We were a bit late but it was incredible music.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.