Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I hate buying computers. I guess this one will work

CEB

Is there anything suspect with these specs? I will be using this laptop primarily as a chess computer. (Chessbase and HIARCS and Fritz)

Kids are grown and music business is slow due to COVID. I"m thinking of playing chess again after a long layoff. Will also use it to run some edit software for my Helix. I read one review that said it didn"t come with the 2 TB drive. That makes me nervous. Also it"s hard to find laptops with DVD-CD ROM drives. It need it for Chessbase. Should I consider an external DVD and look at newer laptops?

ââââââââââââââ

Description

Processor & Memory: 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor 1.3GHz 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM Drives: 2.0TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Communications: 802.11 Wireless-AC Qualcomm DW1810 LAN + Bluetooth 4.1 Integrated Widescreen HD 720p Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone Array 10/100 Ethernet LAN Audio Stereo Speakers with MaxxAudio Pro Graphics & Video: 17.3" Anti-Glare LED-Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX230 Graphics Keyboard: Standard Keyboard Ports & Slots: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C with Data Transition Only 1x USB 2.0 1x RJ-45 1x HDMI Out 1.4b 1x Combination Headphone/Microphone Jack 1x Media Card Reader Power Supply: 3-Cell 42WHr Battery Additional Information: Dimensions: 16.35" x 10.99" x 0.98" Approximate Weight: 6.13 lbs

Features & details

10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor 1.3GHz

16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM

2.0TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

17.3" Anti-Glare LED-Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display and 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX230 Graphics

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play online. This is for tournament preparation. Researching past games, constructing an opening book, endgame drills etc... but a lot of that is also on online sources also. Which ... there aren"t any over the board tournaments due to COVID either but that"s fine. I"m really rusty. The plethora of online information has been a game changer for many disciplines.

Is there anything suspect with these specs? I will be using this laptop primarily as a chess computer. (Chessbase and HIARCS and Fritz)

Kids are grown and music business is slow due to COVID. I"m thinking of playing chess again after a long layoff. Will also use it to run some edit software for my Helix. I read one review that said it didn"t come with the 2 TB drive. That makes me nervous. Also it"s hard to find laptops with DVD-CD ROM drives. It need it for Chessbase. Should I consider an external DVD and look at newer laptops?

A USB DVD drive isn't terribly expensive: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-external-blu-ray-drive/ so that's definitely an option. It's what I do (mainly just for the occasional movie checked out from our local library).

I read one review that said it didn"t come with the 2 TB drive.

That's confusing, since the specs list a 2TB hard drive (along with a 256GB SSD).

2TB is a lot, and nothing you're doing sounds like it should require a whole lot of storage.

External USB hard drives are also easy to find. The SSD should be where you put your applications and all the data you use every day, and it's what will make your laptop feel fast.

I'd personally go for a larger SSD for the OS and ideally all apps, and if you need a lot more storage later then get an external--provided you don't need to be portable often, and the mention of the external dvd suggests not.

I'm using a work-provided HP elitebook, windows 10, to type this on and I think it's a very nice machine. All my other computers are Macs.

Features & details

10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor 1.3GHz

16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM

2.0TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

17.3" Anti-Glare LED-Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display and 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX230 Graphics

First CD and DVD are slowly going the way of the dodo bird. So they are starting to disappear off computers and laptops already. Just get an external one so you have one when you need it. Only thing on that spec' that is okay but I wouldn't do it for myself is that "2.0TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive". 5400 RPM is slow, but as long as running applications that aren't accessing the hard drive all the time it would be okay. I this day and age I would go for a SSD faster, quieter, doesn't generate heat. Heat is an issue especially in laptops.

So if only going to use it for a chess game and some editing software should be fine.

An i7 at only 1.3 gHz.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I used to get together with friends for chess every week...miss those days, but music is helping fill the void.

In the 90s I could run ChessBase on a Pentium I with a floppy install program...at the time it was enough. But the latest CB versions...not quite!

Yours should work I guess.

I was thinking of getting Netflix to watch the Queen 's Gambit chess movie.

Will probably wait for ð DVD

Thanks everyone.

This laptop should work well for Chessbase. The problem may be the playing engines. The new engines are really processor heavy. The latest version of Fritz calls for a expensive Nvidia graphics card. It uses Nvidia for part of the calculations processing. Too bad I really like the Fritz interface. Komodo also uses the Fritz interface but I think it needs dual processors. Hiarcs has huge processor requirements also. Deep Hiarcs uses dual processors but I think standard HIARCS will run on this. It"s crazy. I personally don"t need that kind of calculation power. I"m just idiot checking my preparation and trading games and endgame studies.

I just looked up the requirements for Chessbase Fritz 17. The minimum requirements are hilariously low, your laptop selection is overkill.

What you were looking at is the recommended graphics card for the highest level optional raytracing 3D effects, which is new generation light refraction (think Playstation 5 graphics) so it requires a 6 GB Nvidia RTX. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

That unit will boot from the NVME SSD, which should be a LOT faster than a SATA SSD (based on some client computers, it is, I have a HP Zbook 17G2 notebook with 256GB M.2 C: drive, added a 1TB SATA SSD for a D: drive (data), put the original 1TB hard drive in the extra space, and use it for internal image backups.

Specs look good. I don't know the brand, I personally would stay away from unknown brands (all my gear is either HP business or Apple)

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

That unit will boot from the NVME SSD, ...

When a computer boots from NVME SSD, it might hog the PCIe bus because the OS is busy always,- similar to newer generation NVIDIA graphic card drivers which expect to be the most important ones system wide.

It´s cool to have PCIe x4 NVMe (M.2) SSD exclusive for sample streaming.

When your computer boots a bit slower w/ SATA SSD as OS drive, it´s 2nd row and ALWAYS fast enough for OS !

Lot´s of crackle, pops and clicks come from OS being the PCIe hog and graphic card drivers !

A.C.

Wife showed me Dell had a Pres Day sale. Pulled the trigger on pretty much the same mackine but with a faster processor. Now I worry whether I did the right thing for a couple of weeks. ð