Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The old JBL G2 15

Anyone use to have one (or two)? I have been using one for a really long time. How does it compare with the new offerings?

To me it"s sounds a bit rough and snarly, but has been a workhorse and has plenty of balls. Works great without a mixer. Heavy and awkward to carry.

Would the new stuff (under $1000) really be an upgrade? I have seen the old threads and not looking for another powered speaker shootout. Just don"t know how the old JBL compares.

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two, and have had for 13 years or so??

I think they hold up well sonically, loud and punchy. I end up using my QSC K10's more, simply because I don't need to the size or power. But when I need the power for an outside event, I pull them out and am happy I still have them.

I had an emergency last-minute need for a high school graduation at a fairly large high school football field, and those two speakers were more than loud and clean enough to pump music and speech through for the ceremony.

They"re the stuff of legend, not unlike the ancient altec Lansing VOT"s but time marches on. Loved 'em, big and bulky were their downfall but they were also built like for a samsonite sommercial (was not uncommon to see fleets of them at larger venues)

legend has it that Jbl got stuck at G2 and that G3 failed as a successor.

Awhh... so true! I was stacking a pair of Peavey sp2"s. 1300 watt power amp and mixer, a 200 lb rig. I soon realized my hearing so going downhill fast. It was replaced with the really portable (at the time) JBL speaker.
Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

I picked up a pair of Eon G2 15's when they first came out in 2000-2001(?). I kept them until a couple of years ago when I finally sold them mainly because, like others in this thread, I got old and wanted to downsize the load.

The Eon G2 15's were built like tanks and I never had an issue with them after playing several hundred gigs, including a couple outside in Texas Gulf Coast rainstorms. They were not as high-fi as some of today's powered speakers but IMO they still sounded good and really cut through in a loud live mix.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

It's funny that with the passage of time we all refer to them as "bulky", but I remember clearly how much I loved the size at the time; considering what came before them, they were downright portable!

Agreed. I was in heaven when I replaced a Electro-Voice S-152 passive speaker and Crown DC300 power amp combo with a 1st gen JBL EON. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I end up using my QSC K10's more, simply because I don't need to the size or power..

Aren't the K10s more powerful? They certainly look that way on the spec sheet.

Hmm. They don't seem to have the brute force that the Eon's have? I don't recall the specs on either, but it seems to my ear that the JBL's have more SPL's. Which is not to say the QSC's are timid. The word "punchy" to me describes the difference; the JBL's are just more punchy?? Hardly an objective word, but I'm sticking with it..:)

I haven't used them with keys but they were a provided PA for an outdoor accordion gig. I found them to be kind of rough and harsh.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

One of the bands I play in uses them for the mains. They don't hold bass very well for keys; my EV is head and shoulders over these. If you're just running vocals through them then they are sufficient. We have 4 of them, three have issues; one has a bad crossover; one intermittently drops out and has to be turned off and back on once or twice a gig and the third one is not as bright as the one that works, so there is some sort of crossover/horn driver issue with it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I bought a pair of the JBL 15 G2 (and a pair of the 10's - which are in the home for my wife's keyboard now, they heated up when loud and self-protected, shutting the audio way down). Made like a tank, and almost as heavy. Only trouble in a decade or so is power switch on one went bad, wired across it and usable. Both are at my church now as part of the semi-permanent rig. Turn on and off with a power strip. One good thing with them, I am the bassist in our group (LH key bass), and they respond well to low frequencies.

Too heavy even back then, now I can just lift one. I have EV SXA-100 pair 12" in my shop/studio; and QSC K10's to carry around.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I still have my single G2.... I used it as a Mono Keyboard Amp for rockier gigs.... it did the trick and then some! Not the prettiest sounding rig but it cut well, kept up with the guitars and the 15" speakers sound rolled around the whole room and filled the corners with a nice stable bottom end.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122