Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is this sound? H&O Maneater

Was in the car today and "I Can Dream About You" came on Pandora. I noticed there's a synth sound right when the verse comes in that is identical to one used a few years earlier on the track Maneater from Hall and Oates.

It'a an EP type sound with a quick decay and bell-like overtones. Sounds like there's some delay and modulation too. It's a pleasant patch that has some nice depth. I was thinking maybe a Prophet V, with delay and chorus, but was curious if anyone had a better guess. Maybe it was a hip preset back in the day I wasn't aware of.

Both tracks it can be heard right as the verse vocals kick in:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great sound! I don't know the source, though it is likely to be something like a P5. There's a preset on my Roland JX-8P called Kalimba that sounds a lot like that - particular if put into Unison and Octave mode. It sounds like a synthesized mallet instrument played with an extra octave applied.

Ya - I don't imagine it would be too hard to recreate, but there's a cool depth to the sound that gives it life. Almost organic or electromechanical. Prob run through a Neve Console, an AMS delay to 2". You know....all that good stuff.

Not sure. But I covered this song back then and had a patch on my Korg PolySix that came close. But I do believe it was a P5.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

It's Sven Golly!

Sorry, please resume your discussion....

Matter of fact, this is similar to the "What synth did Steve Winwood use on If You See a Chance?" discussion. The answer to that question is also, "Not the synth that you see in the video."

It's Sven Golly!

Sorry, please resume your discussion....

Matter of fact, this is similar to the "What synth did Steve Winwood use on If You See a Chance?" discussion. The answer to that question is also, "Not the synth that you see in the video."

Frequently not the same keyboard that is shown in the video and more frequently not the same player in the video.

FunMachine.

Maneater video starting at 3:25 has the P5 is in video, eventually showing Hall playing it. No one referenced it.

:facepalm:

Well sure, that's why I referenced it as a likely option in the OP, but back then...shit, even now, what's in the video doesn't necessarily reflect what was in the studio.

• 3 months later...
I"m not sure what the original was, but I re-created my interpretation of it on my Kronos as we worked Maneater up for our group.

I"ll have to record it and post some details, if anyone is interested.

Which program did you use on the Kronos? I am trying to do Maneater as well. Or did you create your own program for it? Can you share? Thanks!

In ROMpler land (where i currently live) I think you could get pretty close with 3 layers: 8' Marimba for attack, 8' non-modulated vibraphone (or even dark Rhodes) for sustain, and a 4' triangle (waveform, not the instrument) with a piano-ish envelope.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

RE: While You See A Chance - I"ll take Multi Moog for $1,000 please Alexâ¦

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

H&O never seemed to care about that sound in any concert video I can find. It's all about 2 or3 guitars hammering an A minor on the snare beat then a string pad on the chorus. Sometimes a straight wurly type ep sound on the descending chords.

FunMachine.