Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2020-2021 Thread

I've got to hand it to Tom Brady

I'm not so sure. He threw 3 interceptions and GB couldn't capitalize.

I think AR is done, based on this performance. Just like Favre. One and done.

You seriously think Rodgers is going to retire? I hate to see Stafford go to another NFC North opponent. Not like the Lions will be competitive anytime soon. . .

No I meant he is done winning Super Bowls (1).

GB was forced to use his arm because TB totally shut down their run game unlike StL.

This showed that Rodgers doesn't have it anymore, unable to close 5 points on 3 drives. To be fair, half the fault lies with the stupidity of LaFleur, botching the last red zone and kicking that last field goal.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Packers' running game, I agree that it could have helped; but unfortunately, Aaron Jones was lost to injury on the opening drive of the second half.

For me, the bottom line is that Tampa Bay went for it on fourth down early in the game and scored a touchdown; and Green Bay didn't go for it on fourth down near the end and settled for a field goal. Those extra four points for the Buccaneers (plus the lack of extra point when the Packers failed a two-point conversion) proved to be the winning margin.

After giving Tom Brady credit in an earlier post, I'd also like to praise Todd Bowles for putting together an intimidating defense that sacked Aaron Rodgers five times during the game. They must have intimidated Matt LaFleur too, for him to not keep the ball in Aaron Rodgers's hands with the game on the line.

I think LaFleur is an improvement over previous head coach Mike McCarthy, but that was a poor choice.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Geoff

I understand what LaFleur was thinking at the end of the game. Better to take 3 points and get a chance to STOP TB and get the ball back. All GB would need is a TD and they would have won the game. 4th and 8 was not good odds. If they were unable to get a first down or SCORE, they went away with no points.

It could have worked, but it didn't. It WAS a good game. I was hoping GB would go to the SB for the sake of the Fans, who have been hoping for a Championship, I don't know that either GB or TB can beat KC in the big game.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

As for the Packers' running game, I agree that it could have helped; but unfortunately, Aaron Jones was lost to injury on the opening drive of the second half.

I'd also like to praise Todd Bowles for putting together an intimidating defense that sacked Aaron Rodgers five times during the game. They must have intimidated Matt LaFleur too, for him to not keep the ball in Aaron Rodgers's hands with the game on the line.

First, the Packers have 3 capable RBs. If the running was ineffective which I don't think so, they could have used the RBs in the screen game. Everything Rodgers threw was to a WR or TE.

The reality is that the NFL has been a pass happy league for about 15 years or so. The rules have been changed to accomodate it.

Somehow, it was decided that running the football is not as fun to watch for casual fans. :rolleyes:

Other than the Titans, very few teams are committed to the running game. IMO, the Chiefs have the best offensive balance in the league.

Defenses are getting faster and better at attacking QBs. A running game is the only way to slow an aggressive defense down.

To that end, Todd Bowles definitely deserves another shot at head coach on the strength of beating the league MVP QB twice in a season. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Tom Brady will win this Super Bowl if Tampa Bay can score more points than the Chiefs

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Tom Brady will win this Super Bowl if Tampa Bay can score more points than the Chiefs

Now, that is hilarious. :roll:

Brady cannot throw up those flares, er, INTs and he's going to need for DC Bowles to come up with his best defensive scheme. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Mike, thanks for your condolences. I agree that there's some sense in settling for three points and then trying to get the ball back in time to score a touchdown to win the game, instead of Green Bay pinning their hopes on a touchdown and two-point conversion to tie the game while there's still time on the clock for the Buccaneers to score. Either way, you've got to stop Brady, which has historically been tough to do with a championship on the line. I guess the main difference in the two scenarios is that you've got to stop Brady from scoring if you've succeeded in tying the game, whereas you've got to stop Brady from running out the clock if you settled for a field goal. It was easier to settle for a field goal but harder to stop Tampa Bay from running out the clock, whereas it would have been harder to score a touchdown and a two-point conversion, but easier to stop the Buccaneers from scoring rather than merely running out the clock. Pick your poison.

I disagree with LaFleur's choice, but I'll admit that calling it a poor one was probably overreacting on my part.

Best,

Geoff

I get what you're saying, ProfD. The run opens up the pass, and vice versa. That's a tried and true approach. I'll add that Aaron Jones is more than capable: last year, his stats placed him among the best in the league, rushing for over 1,000 yards and tying Derrick Henry for the most rushing touchdowns in the NFL. (More here.) You mentioned using the running backs in the screen game, and a third of Aaron Jones's yards and three of his touchdowns came from pass receptions last year. I agree that Green Bay's other running backs are capable. Perhaps they deserved to be targeted more.

My thinking as to why LaFleur didn't feature the run as much is that his team was playing from behind for most of the gameâat one point, trying to erase an 18-point deficit. He also had an MVP-caliber quarterback at his disposal, and his best running back got injured at the start of the second half. Those factors competed with the balanced game approach that generally works.

I also agree that Todd Bowles's coaching this year should improve his shot at landing another head coaching position.

Best,

Geoff

Troy Aikman pointed out that had Green Bay gone for it on 4th down, it would have given Aaron Rodgers two shots at picking up that touchdown rather than just one. Kicking a field goal meant everything relied on him getting it in the end zone on the final possession.

Since the Bucs couldn't be stopped, I don't know if it matters much either way.

Troy Aikman pointed out that had Green Bay gone for it on 4th down, it would have given Aaron Rodgers two shots at picking up that touchdown rather than just one. Kicking a field goal meant everything relied on him getting it in the end zone on the final possession. .

Exactly right. Either way they needed a touchdown and two chances are better than one. Even had they missed the two point conversion scoring on the first chance, they were in a much better position to win with a field goal had they stopped Brady. I think this makes it clear that it was the incorrect decision to kick the field goal.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Texans--TBD

It seems the finalists are Leslie Frazier and David Culley. Jim Caldwell was interviewed but seems a distant third. I don't know Frazier nor Culley except from this article.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/john-mcclain/article/McClain-coach-Leslie-Frazier-David-Culley-Texans-15902161.php

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

Tampa Bay's defense isâyet againâplaying lights out!

Great quarterbacks, like Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, struggle against them.

At the half so far, this game is being won and lost on the defense. The Buccaneers' defense is winning their battle with the Chiefs' offense, and Kansas City's defense is killing themselves with penalties.

Best,

Geoff

Bucs do have home field advantage. :laugh:.

Seriously, the Bucs defense is the real strength of the team.

Those penalties against KCs defense are just a way of challenging their offense. :D

The score is still close enough for the Chiefs to get back into the game. They aren't as one dimensional as the Saints and Packers were a couple weeks ago.

Hope the 2nd half of Super Bowl LV is more entertaining with fewer flags. :cool:

PD

Bucs do have home field advantage. :laugh:.

Seriously, the Bucs defense is the real strength of the team.

Those penalties against KCs defense are just a way of challenging their offense. :D

The score is still close enough for the Chiefs to get back into the game. They aren't as one dimensional as the Saints and Packers were a couple weeks ago.

Hope the 2nd half of Super Bowl LV is more entertaining with fewer flags. :cool:

I didn't realize until the game started that the Chiefs two starting offensive tackles were injured. That, combined with a good defense, is clearly hard for even Mahomes to overcome.

Three-time Pro Bowler David Bakhtiari, Packers tackle, was injured when Tampa Bay beat Green Bay last week; but Bakhtiari's injury didn't stop Green Bay from advancing against the Rams' #1 defense the week before. In other words, the Bucs' defense fared better than the vaunted Rams' (although I'll grant that Aaron Donald was playing with injury as well).

Kansas City's injuries or not, I give the Buccaneers' defense full credit. They've been the highlight of tonight's game as far as I'm concerned.

Best,

Geoff

Irrespective of the game, I was pleased that the sound people sabotaged the halftime act by feeding an SM58 at midfield to the broadcast output.

It was glorious how bad it sounded!!

Sabotaged Sound

Like past SB shows it's all pre-recorded music and BG vocals. The lead vocals some have gone with prerecorded track the whole show especially if they are dancing and moving a lot. Others do a combination of live and prerecorded. Watching the video seemed like a lot of the guys vocals were prerecorded, might of been some that was live. So I'd say the house sound was just pumping out the track they were given. So I'd said the guy's own production team is probably going to see some heads rolling tomorrow.

Irrespective of the game, I was pleased that the sound people sabotaged the halftime act by feeding an SM58 at midfield to the broadcast output.

Sabotaged Sound

Like past SB shows it's all pre-recorded music and BG vocals. The lead vocals some have gone with prerecorded track the whole show especially if they are dancing and moving a lot. Others do a combination of live and prerecorded. Watching the video seemed like a lot of the guys vocals were prerecorded, might of been some that was live. So I'd say the house sound was just pumping out the track they were given. So I'd said the guy's own production team is probably going to see some heads rolling tomorrow.

It'll be an interesting post mortem, if we ever find out about it. All of the millions of production, string players, backup people all down the drain for nothing.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Sabotaged Sound

It'll be an interesting post mortem, if we ever find out about it. All of the millions of production, string players, backup people all down the drain for nothing.

most boring halftime show ever :snax:

:nopity:

The Weeknd was disappointing - there's no other way of putting it. The vocals were buried, the background tracks were blurry and indistinct, and the busy sets were trying to make him look like he was doing something when he really wasn't...well, much anyway. He really needed a guest or two.

Compared to last year's knockout Shakira and J-lo show, it was definitely a letdown. And I really like a lot of his songs.

As for the game, it wasn't what I was expecting! :laugh: I'm glad I didn't put any money on it.

Interesting Super Bowl. Here I'll just write that I'm surprised *ahem* the Chiefs high-powered offense didn't make any adjustments to overcome the Bucs excellent defensive game plan. :cool:

PD

I thought The Weeknd was solid, not great. Not terrible, as some feel.

Also surprised the KC O wasn't really able to figure anything out all game. Great D for sure, but the receivers had a pretty bad game overall. And yeah, the penalties... you can disagree with calls, but you still got called.

KC's O was helpless with both starting tackles missing. The backup left tackle was a revolving door letting Bucs pass rusher(s) through to Mahommes all night. No adjustments will work without good tackles. The only adjustment KC can make is to improve their OL depth this offseason, otherwise all their opponents are going to do the same thing to them all season, next season.

That said, congrats to whoever here is a Bucs fan! The execution of the players was worthy of a Superbowl winner. Brady is an undeniable force even at his age - enough to draw retirees like Gronk and that WR back to the field and play hard for him.

Sabotaged Sound

That might have been an interesting read, had all the popups not loaded, leaving me about 1 square inch in the lower left of my laptop screen.....

KC's O was helpless with both starting tackles missing. The backup left tackle was a revolving door letting Bucs pass rusher(s) through to Mahommes all night. No adjustments will work without good tackles. The only adjustment KC can make is to improve their OL depth this offseason, otherwise all their opponents are going to do the same thing to them all season, next season.

Fair. Injuries were a big factor for sure, plus LDT's opt-out. (Curious how many people are familiar with him and his story in the States, as he's a huge star here, but doesn't play a glamorous position.)