Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavinet Songs

In addition to "Trampled Under Foot," a few other tunes on Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti feature John Paul Jones on clavinet, including "Custard Pie" and "In the Light." Pink Floyd uses one on "Have a Cigar," but it's sort of mixed down in the later verses.

On a more contemporary note, Kofi Burbridge played a lot of clavinet with the Derek Trucks Band ("Already Free" comes to mind) and Tedeschi Trucks Band ("Don't Let Me Slide," "Made Up Mind," and "Signs (High Times)" among others). Ivan Neville plays clav all over the place with Dumpstaphunk ("Do Ya" is a good example).

I think that Lachy Doley guy plays clavinet occasionally too, right? :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On a more contemporary note, Kofi Burbridge played a lot of clavinet with the Derek Trucks Band

"Misunderstood", on 2013's Made Up Mind, (Tedeshi Trucks) is pure Sly Stone. Kofi kills on it. :2thu:

Ivan Neville plays clav all over the place with Dumpstaphunk.

I have the same setup as him, Hohner E7 over Hammond A 100. Unfortunately, I have none of his talent. :(

Great band to see live if they ever tour again.

:nopity:

The music that made me want to buy a Clav (and I almost did, plus I "babysat" someone else's Clav for about a year while they were in a tiny bedsit), was that of the celtic fusion band Touchstone in the late 80's.

I believe there's a fair amount of reggae and/or ska and maybe even calypso, that uses the clavinet -- probably especially early 60's through mid 70's. But I can't name specific songs aside from what's been said.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Actually, I met Michael Omartian many years ago when he did a clinic at a uni where I was taking summer courses. Great guy and excellent player.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Now this is getting good⦠[rubs hands together] :D

Keep 'em coming, please. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

From the pop contingency:

KC and the Sunshine band - Get Down Tonight

Fleetwood Mac - You Make Lovin" Fun

I"ve always heard pitchbend on Get Down Tonight. How?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

From the pop contingency:

KC and the Sunshine band - Get Down Tonight

Fleetwood Mac - You Make Lovin" Fun

I"ve always heard pitchbend on Get Down Tonight. How?

If you're referring to the part at the beginning, which sounds vaguely Clavinet-ish, is actually a sped up guitar part. Clav in the rest of the song though..

Well, this brings back memories. One of the first posts that I responded to after joining the forum was by SteadyB, asking for suggestions on clav songs as he was getting ready to demonstrate Logic's new clave. You should check out that thread. It should not be hard to find as it is only 19 years old. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Same with Genesis. "The Musical Box" and "Return of the Giant Hogweed" are examples where he used clav through a fuzz box, and you might otherwise think it was a guitar. That's the problem with prog. ;-)

Another problem is that it was a Pianet (Model N?), not a clavinet, through a fuzz box, at least in this video: [video:youtube]

Here's NRBQ from 'Night Music' showing Terry Adams' unique approach to clavinet, speaking of clav that could be mistaken for guitar. Love how he scrubs his forearm on the keys and gets a rhythm-guitar effect.

Another problem is that it was a Pianet (Model N?), not a clavinet, through a fuzz box, at least in this video:

Good catch!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[video:youtube]

In perhaps one of the weirdest places to find a Clavinet, this bland pop song suddenly breaks into some of the funkiest clavinet riffs I'd heard back then. I loved it so much that I bought the 45 and woodshedded on it - even though stylistically the song was the farthest thing in the world from the band I was in.

The break starts at 2:27 if you want to skip the song.

Michael Omartian is credited with the part in Wikipedia.

• Like 1

What a great GG video! However, I'm sure you could tell it's a lip-sync. No clavinet on the original - Kerry played the beginning was on a clavichord, the forbearer of the clavinet. Someone else already clarified, but I will also state that Tony Banks didn't use a clavinet on Nursery Cryme, but a Pianet N. To the best of my knowledge, he never used one - might be a little too funky for the old chap, haha!

Did anyone mention Steely Dan's "Green Earrings" and "Night By Night" yet?

Here's a tasty, none-funky use of the clav Roger Manning played on a Beck dirge:

Jeremiah by Michael Omartian (one of the best keyboardists you never heard of).

Hey :laugh: Michael is actually a friend of mine, lives not far from me too. We've called each other "My Armenian Brother" for years.

Anyone who hasn't heard of him should woodshed, 'cause he's a monster player and brilliant mind.

And, as for the topic at hand, I'll just say

There's Higher Ground, and then there's everything else! :cool:

Although you don't find much clavinet on his albums, but the opening track "Yell Help / Wednesday Night / Ugly" on Elton John's "Rock of the Westies" has some really nice clav work, especially on the third part "Ugly".
Some great parts on "(Gotta Get a) Meal Ticket" from Captain Fantastic as well!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.