Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound modules - small form factor

Does anybody make a nice awesome sounding sound module that I could use with an XK-5 on my Sunday gigs? Ideally I could just place it on top of the keyboard and select sounds from it when I am not playing organ parts. I'm talking mainly about pads, strings and synth sounds. We have another guy who plays mostly piano parts. Two relatively recent pieces I saw were a Roland Integra which is basically a rack-mount that is probably too bulky, expensive, etc. (overkill). Also saw a Dexibell which looks cool but is also pricey and limited in it's pad/synth/strings capability. Looking for plug and play, not planning to do much editing, tweaking, etc.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An iPad (or even iPhone/iPod Touch) could do it. If you want a dedicated hardware module, there's the V3 Grand Piano XXL. Or you could look at used stuff, like Roland JV-1010/XV-2020/SonicCell, or Korg 05R/W. Patch selection directly on these things can be awkward (or impossible, in the case of the V3), so that's an issue to think about as well. The XK-5 does support calling up sounds from external modules, but I think only through its scroll wheel, which is not the most convenient way to get to a patch, especially if you have to do it quickly. You could use a smartphone to do patch recall, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks. So if I had an iPad connected to the XK-5 via USB cable and the iPad had some virtual synth software, could I just select patches from the iPad and play them without having to use the scroll wheel on the XK-5?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

A friend of mine just gave me a Motif ES Rack. The sounds are certainly serviceable. The rack is rather bulky at 14" deep but should be able to sit on top of an XK5.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks. So if I had an iPad connected to the XK-5 via USB cable and the iPad had some virtual synth software, could I just select patches from the iPad and play them without having to use the scroll wheel on the XK-5?

Yes. Some apps have better on-screen patch selction facilities than others. You can also use an app that can, itself, send patch change commands to other apps. That approach becomes especially useful if you find that the sounds you want to choose from are not all in one app to begin with, but rather scattered across multiple apps.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What sounds? I do this with a D-05 sometimes. But I have a massive D-50 library and I like Roland pads.

D-05 on a K2-88. All Roland BooTeeks are the same form factor. I"d go with some sort of software tablet option. But if you have to have hardware the Rolands would work. ... or if you have a gazillion quality sounds in a D-50 library on a hard drive then get one of these... the volume output is lower than a D-50. You will need a mixer gain stage. But the audio output is higher fidelity. It"s crystal clean. I like it.

Use a tablet ð

Ettvnl6.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My vote is with the phone or ipad, assuming the sounds are out there and you can deal with possible headaches and learning curve to get things working initially. I know my JV1010 would also work well, but it too has its downsides (besides being 90s tech & sounds, though strings and pads sound fine to me even today), like a very non-standard AC adapter, and used prices that seem to be higher than what they were when I bought mine.

Hey delaware, how does that Gemini Desktop work? isn't it a module of sorts?

Yes, it is my favorite piece of gear. Sits on top of my PC3. Has the Mojo organ and a few dozen high quality sounds. The only thing missing that I need are saxes, it doesnt have any. I wish Guido would add them.

Listen to this with good headphones or a a nice sound system:

link

If you enlarge my avatar you can see it sitting on top of my PC3....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yes. Some apps have better on-screen patch selction facilities than others. You can also use an app that can, itself, send patch change commands to other apps. That approach becomes especially useful if you find that the sounds you want to choose from are not all in one app to begin with, but rather scattered across multiple apps.

I think you"d be able to get all the sounds you"re looking for in Korg Module for iOS with a couple of expansion packs. You can make set lists in Module which pull allow you tap the sound you need without using more complicated hosting/mixer apps (ie AUM, Camelot, KeyStage).

Here for the gear.

For pads, strings and synth sounds you could consider a mini keyboard. They do these quite well. Roland, Korg and Novation all make popular models. The advantage is you can play both at once. I really like my MiniNova. The other option is a table top VA. For pads, strings and synth sounds you don't really need a full blown ROMpler. VA will do just fine and there are a lot of good choices.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yes, it is my favorite piece of gear. Sits on top of my PC3. Has the Mojo organ and a few dozen high quality sounds. The only thing missing that I need are saxes, it doesnt have any. I wish Guido would add them.

link

Great sounds. More expensive than I anticipated. Can it do splits which you can set up via app?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

How about the tiny Alesis Nanosynth 1/3 rack module with sounds from the late 90's Alesis QS series?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/nanosynth.php

The Nanosynth is old but, per the OP's requirements, IMO it's still got decent pads, strings, and synth sounds that are gigworthy.

I occasionally used the Nanosynth about 10 - 20 years ago, first with a Hammond XK2 and then, later, an XK1 for extra sounds. It fit easily on top of both of those boards with room to spare. I recall that a fair number of the Nanosynth's 512 sounds, including various pads, strings, and synths, could be directly accessed from knobs on the front panel.

I sold the Nanosynth a couple years ago for $125 on Reverb. I was surprised that it sold so fast, in just a day or two. I kind of regret selling it now. In any case, the OP might be able to find a Nanosynth for the same price or cheaper.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I think people get scared away from using iPhones or iPads because until recently, you might have reason to be worried about connectivity or latency issues (I had those concerns and those issues on older software and older phones). But at this point it"s undervalued how easy and cheap it is to get prograde sounds from your phone if it is newer than, say, 2016. Buy a Korg Plugkey or similar for $100, pay $20 for Module/Ravenscroft/a synth, and plug in your phone to your keyboard. For a few sounds at a church gig, there is just no reason anymore to buy a $1,000 or $500 piece of hardware in terms of what people will actually hear. Buy an expensive module only if you need to ease any totally understandable (!) but at this point illogical worries about tech setup. I say all this as someone skeptical of the 'use-your-phone' approach until maybe a couple years ago.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

link

Great sounds. More expensive than I anticipated. Can it do splits which you can set up via app?

The unit is bi-timbral so you can have two sounds from the Gemini play at the same time, whether you want to split them into separate zones or overlay them together. I created a super brass sound where i have the Gemini's brass playing on one dsp the trumpet on another dsp and my PC3's horns playing at the same time, and another where i swap out the Gemini's trumpet for a trombone. Sound pretty full .... Love the Gemini. If you think about the cost of an organ module like the Mojo desktop, Viscount Legend, or HX3 module, for a couple hundred dollars more you get physically modeled Rhodes, Wurli, Clav (with all of the pickups and filters adjustable in real time), Mojo Organ, trumpet, trombone, brass, Strings, DX7, Vox Continental (with real time drawbar control) a VA synth (Prophet based), Farfisa, 4 different acoustic piano samples and at least a dozen other sounds that I can't think of of the top of my head. All of the sounds are top notch although the acoustic pianos are "average", not great although each one that he released was better than the previous version. For me to spend a couple of extra dollars to get the additional sounds than just getting say a Mojo Desktop that just did organ was a no brainer. And the PC3 is such a great controller and it matches up nicely with calling and controlling the Gemini.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm with CEB, get a tablet, heh. Your range of choices is substantial. There's the worry factor of hauling it around safely. It almost needs its own SKB hard case, plus a solid stand for keeping it in the most accessible position for the show. There is also the upgrade monster that will brickwall it eventually.

The same goes for the D-05. Its a budget item with a monster engine and delicate jacks. You'd have to baby it a lot, as its more of an at-home studio piece. One plus: as hardware, it'll remain the same until it expires. I'm enjoying the Cloud version a lot. (The libraries are huge and the included PG-1000 makes it a tweaker's dream.) It'd be a great choice for synth/pad parts, as well as organs and bells. A few of the brass sounds are almost sample-grade, but many are 80s-awful. Same as it ever was, with most any synth.

As the discontinued D-05 and a decent iPad hover around $500 anyway, you might consider a recent Korg as a top-of-the-stack instrument. The Korg Minilogue XD is a 4-voice analog that may not hit the right mark, but consider the Wavestate. The original 3-octave minikey model is about $700, but it essentially has 4 separate engines, so its an extra-potent module. The Modal Cobalt is another nice VA you can get as a module for $649 list, IIRC.

I'd include the Roland Jupiter Xm, but at $1500, its a more serious buy. Its a massive Roland library in a box, incl. some early RD pianos and models of the JP-8 and JX-8P. Its a sequencing wet dream. :rawk:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Check out the "Best of Triton" sound pack for the Korg Module. Lots of pads, strings, and synths that still hold up well, IMHO. Looks fairly easy to select programs directly from the iPad screen, if desired.

[video:youtube]

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The Roland XV-2020 is a bit newer than the JV-1010 and can use SRX boards. Also consider the Alesis NanoPiano or, as someone else mentioned, the NanoSynth.

Or if you could go with a rack, a Yamaha Motif Rack XS or Kurzweil PC2R.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'll toss in the Waldorf Blofeld. Pretty rich sounding, multitimbral small form factor. Used units abound, and even new models are decently priced.

Wisdom, let us attend. Blofeld would be great if you have to have hardware.

David is right about the I/O connections on the Roland Boutiques. They are delicate as heck.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Off topic but why were the D-05's discontinued? Did they not sell well enough?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

link

The unit is bi-timbral so you can have two sounds from the Gemini play at the same time, whether you want to split them into separate zones or overlay them together. I created a super brass sound where i have the Gemini's brass playing on one dsp the trumpet on another dsp and my PC3's horns playing at the same time, and another where i swap out the Gemini's trumpet for a trombone. Sound pretty full .... Love the Gemini. If you think about the cost of an organ module like the Mojo desktop, Viscount Legend, or HX3 module, for a couple hundred dollars more you get physically modeled Rhodes, Wurli, Clav (with all of the pickups and filters adjustable in real time), Mojo Organ, trumpet, trombone, brass, Strings, DX7, Vox Continental (with real time drawbar control) a VA synth (Prophet based), Farfisa, 4 different acoustic piano samples and at least a dozen other sounds that I can't think of of the top of my head. All of the sounds are top notch although the acoustic pianos are "average", not great although each one that he released was better than the previous version. For me to spend a couple of extra dollars to get the additional sounds than just getting say a Mojo Desktop that just did organ was a no brainer. And the PC3 is such a great controller and it matches up nicely with calling and controlling the Gemini.

Just dreaming here for a second. I wish Gemini Desktop included drawbars. I like the app connectivity, but physical drawbars would be so cool since, if I ever purchased, I hope I wouldn't have to use app, once I set up patches. I'm just trying to justify the price with so many capable apps for iPad (in which case I'd just pickup a used iPad Mini which would become the module of my dreams.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The Roland XV-2020 is a bit newer than the JV-1010 and can use SRX boards.

Yes, I hereby retract my recommendation for the JV1010! They're about the same price on Reverb.com, which kinda makes no sense. The 2020 does USB, and I assume the sounds are better although the 1010 comes with the Session expansion board piano built-in.