Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavinet Songs

My latest quest is Clav stuff*. Based on the "Notable Songs" list on the Wikipedia page for Clavinet, I created an Apple Music playlist. However, I'm pretty sure the Wikipedia list is not complete (my playlist is also missing one or two songs I could not find). I know people here will have some other contributions, right? I've added two, 100 Years Ago from Goats Head Soup, and Desire (The Wanton Song) from Coda thanks to a post on Instagram from Tonysounds.

So whatcha got? I'd love to hear what Clav songs you think should be on the list and aren't. Is there more Daryl Dragon out there? What about Matt Johnson and/or Jamiroquai?

I'm also considering moving a few songs to the end that don't do anything for me, but we can talk about that later.

* I still haven't acquired one. I'm looking but possible upcoming financial changes might make me hold off. Nothing bad, but money might need to go elsewhere for a minute.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Most of "Blow By Blow" and "Wired" by Jeff Beck. Max Middleton is stanky! Highlights include "Constipated Duck" and "Play With Me".

Art Neville plays his Clavinet through Leslie speaker on at least one song on the Meters' album "Rejuvenation" - I think the song is "What'cha Say".

My old friend Bernie Worrell was an absolute BEAST on the Clavinet - so anything he's on with Parliament-Funkadelic, Bridges of Funkenstein, etc... a true master.

I'm sure you have all Stevie, Billy Preston and George Duke bases covered.

And what Mike Davis said, above - Kerry Minnear was wonderful on the Clav (or anything else, for that matter - love how he used the Baldwin Electric Harpsichord on the early-to-mid era)

My latest quest is Clav stuff*. Based on the "Notable Songs" list on the Wikipedia page for Clavinet, I created an Apple Music playlist. However, I'm pretty sure the Wikipedia list is not complete

Certainly not complete, but that also depends on your threshold for "notable." ;-) But I'll mention ELP's "Tank." (Also "Nutrocker.")

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm sure you have all Stevie, Billy Preston and George Duke bases covered.

Thanks for all this. But check the list, do they? There are pieces by all three but if the list is missing stuff you'd recommend, I want to know.

Gentle Giant?

The list includes ""Experience" (1973), "Cogs in Cogs", "So Sincere" by Gentle Giant (1974)" If there are others, what are they?

Certainly not complete, but that also depends on your threshold for "notable." ;-) But I'll mention ELP's "Tank." (Also "Nutrocker.")

Nutrocker was already on there. Thanks for Tank. Again, if there are tracks not on there that you recommend, please share those. I'm going by what fellow KCers recommend, not going to try to define notable.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not sure if this really constitutes a clavinet song (certainly clav 'stuff') but the clav part in Boston"s 'Foreplay' is badass. Solidly featured for a moment, and hard to imagine the song without it. The clav then continues doubling the bass line for the remainder of the tune. And if you listen to the isolated tracks, there"s more in there than that part, such as the clav playing those prominent accents/hits along with the bass, guitar, and drums in the beginning.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I saw Herbie Hancock on the Headhunters tour, he had a hit record instrumental with a Clav. You probably already got Herbie in there.

FWIW, I have the IK Multimedia Clavitube and really like it. Fun to play on guitar with Fishman Triple Play system. A ton of variations of Clarinet through different tube amps. Nice.

And budget friendly.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Gentle Giant?

The list includes ""Experience" (1973), "Cogs in Cogs", "So Sincere" by Gentle Giant (1974)" If there are others, what are they?

Probably quite a few, though with their use of sonic textures, it can sometimes be hard to tell exactly what they're using for a certain sound! Same with Genesis. "The Musical Box" and "Return of the Giant Hogweed" are examples where he used clav through a fuzz box, and you might otherwise think it was a guitar. That's the problem with prog. ;-)

There's probably some stuff worth cheking out here... https://www.talkbass.com/threads/favorite-use-of-hohner-clavinet-on-a-non-funk-recording.1341349/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is the first song I ever heard where I recognized the Clavinet sound. I had been at a local music store where a guy was playing a new instrument called the Clavinet that had just come in. Shortly afterward this song came out and I knew right away what Keyboard was being used.

[video:youtube]

Then not long after that this song came out.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Here's an unexpected one: Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles.

I used to have a recording of just the clav track for that song but I can't find it now.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I would add some Mother"s Finest...

...and the Isley Brothers...

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

George Duke is always worth considering.

I do remember a Keyboard Mag review of this album making particular note of the clav part in this song. The quote was something like "fastest Clavinet in the west."

Good luck with the clav quest Joe.

I'll make it funner. ;)

My top 10, plus the obvious #11 ;)

Maybe Your Baby - Stevie

Outa Space - Billy

Thelonius - Jeff Beck Group

Chameleon - Herbie

Night People - Robert Palmer (I believe Bill Payne played the clavinet on this track, but can't verify that)

Spanish Moon - Little Feat (can verify that Bill Payne played this track)

Use Me- Bill Withers

Tell Me Something Good - Rufus

Concrete Jungle -Bob Marley and The Wailers

Fascination - David Bowie

Superstition -Stevie

:nopity:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis

Gentle Giant?

Joe Muscara-

How about 'I Lost My Head' from 'Interview'.