Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rod Franken, Rhodes master

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Never heard of Franken until now. The rhodes sounds gorgeous on this album but at the same time kind of reaffirms for me that, although I love the sound of the rhodes, a whole album of it is a bit too much for the ear.

Quick search found this bio:

1941 born Rob Franken was one of the key figures of all European organ players in the 1960s and 1970s. He was the first European to master the Fender Rhodes electric piano and among the first to handle the Hammond B3 organ. Although he was mostly obsessed with the Fender Rhodes throughout the late 1960s, the Hammond was the instrument he was best remembered for. Rob Franken started his career with the folk duo Esther & Abi Ofarim, then he moved to play with Klaus Weiss Trio in the mid 1960s. Soon after he formed his legendary own small combo, The Rob Franken Organization. The Organization released two albums - 'Pon my soul in 1967 and Ob-la-di ob-la-da in 1969. He also played as a pianist of Toots Thielemans and a permanent organist / keyboard played for Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination and Brass. During his relatively short career, Franken played in over 400 records and was a very much liked person among session musicians. His sudden and unexpected death due to an internal hemorrhage at the age of 42 in 1983 ended his glorious career - only three days after his last recording session with the Rhythm Combination and Brass.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Glad to see Rob Franken mentioned here. His Rhodes work was tasty.

Check out his performances with his own quintet and also Toots Thielemans:

Sad that he passed away relatively young. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I never heard of him, thanks for posting it. Nice music.

That piano sounds a lot like my modified sparkletop Rhodes. Modified meaning that a previous owner had swapped out the felt hammerset with the wood/plastic hammerset (they were interchangeable). From pictures it does appear that his Rhodes is an early stage piano close to my piano. I can tell by the latch buttons, lift-off hinges, and cabinet construction that are trainspotting features of early pianos. At least one picture shows the Peterson preamp, but it is cropped so unknown if it is a suitcase or a stage piano with the preamp retrofitted to it. Rob's piano would be wood/plastic hammerset with early pickups, early tines (possibly Raymacs), possibly Peterson preamp. I can see a graphic EQ on top of his amp, but am unable to identify make or model.

I don't think he's using any effect, chorus or otherwise... it's the amp he's using. In more than one picture I see a very unorthodox choice for a Rhodes amp - a Fender Zodiac series amp! It appears to be a Fender Libra, judging from the size in pictures (at least 4x12 speakers). Libra amps came stock with JBL speakers which would be a really good one for Rhodes. But the Zodiac series had a bad reputation of being atrociously bad sounding and unreliable... according to GUITAR players. Maybe they paired well with Rhodes pianos. I can see a graphic EQ on top of his amp, but am unable to identify make or model.

Rob uses chord clusters with some notes a semitone apart. That can fool the ear into thinking it is a chorus effect. That is effective on a Rhodes, but different on an acoustic piano.

A big part of his tone is his technique... not just his solo technique but his comping technique. The Rhodes demands a unique style of playing and Rob Franken developed it really well.

The Rhodes demands a unique style of playing and Rob Franken developed it really well.

Yes indeed. Anyone care share tips on how sound better on a Rhodes (sound) For jazz style, for example do you modify LH voicings? I love the Rhodes sound but basically just approach it just as I would a piano, and I feel like it doesn't sound right.

The Rhodes demands a unique style of playing and Rob Franken developed it really well.

Yes indeed. Anyone care share tips on how sound better on a Rhodes (sound) For jazz style, for example do you modify LH voicings? I love the Rhodes sound but basically just approach it just as I would a piano, and I feel like it doesn't sound right.

As Real MC mentioned above, cluster chords (closed voicings), IMO, sound better when playing a Rhodes. Also, being able to play left hand bass takes it to another level. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"