Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New junior jumbo acoustic bass guitar from Guild

https://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-bass-antique-charcoal-burst/

I came across this new mini bass guitar at the local Guitar Center this week, and couldn't believe how well balanced it is timbrally, and how deep the low notes and strings feel compared to full-sized acoustic basses! But it had been mishandled by customers so I didn't trust buying the one at the store (which was the natural vs. stained finish). Based on the strings it uses, it appears to be inspired by Taylor's GS Mini.

As someone who once wasted over $4000 on an always-in-the-shop Warwick Alien when it was new, and having also owned an Alvarez baritone acoustic and several Gretsch arch-top hollowbody basses (of different scale lengths), I never expected the concept of a flat-top acoustic bass guitar to work in terms of proper body and presence to the low notes and strings, or to avoid buzz and brightness. This guitar shocks me, frankly!

I suppose at 23.5" scale length, it might even be considered a bit of a bass 'ukulele? I've never liked those or their rubber strings though. So I think this instrument is its own thing, and it will help my gypsy jazz band take on cafe and wedding gigs where they want an all-acoustic band, without having to bring a bulky upright bass (this particular band is led by a violinist).

I was able to get one for around $400 as I had a $50 voucher and the stained model was marked down $100 (making it $50 cheaper than the non-stained version). It should arrive tomorrow.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Our bassist has an Ibanez model, all sapele body. Scale is (I'm guessing) about like the Guild. It does sound pretty good acoustically and I agree, the U-bass and the Guid/DeArmond Asbory basses are just too short a scale.

I'd love one around here for studio work, gigs are always my early to mid 80's Peavey Fury, love that bass.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Isn't "Jumbo Junior" kind of an oxymoron? Like "diet tacos" or "trustworthy politician"?

I've never really gotten the whole "acoustic bass" thing. The bodies are just too darn small to produce an appropriate level of volume. There's a reason bass fiddles are so big -- it's just physics. And the comeback is "Well, you just plug it in." At which point, I'm like, well then why do I need an "acoustic" bass?

If other people dig it, that's cool. Just not my thing.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

It's oriented towards the types of gigs I mentioned above. Violent Femmes used an acoustic bass guitar in the early days, and that was in the context of punk-influenced music. :-)

"Jumbo" is more about the shape than the size, and an arched basck. The term "Jumbo Junior" or "Junior Jumbo" has been used by several manufacturers for many decades now.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Interestingly, the one I received sounds a bit brighter than the one in the store, which had two busted strings that were replaced by a completely different type of string from the D'addario EXP's that this model ships with. So I may experiment with cutting some other strings down to size and trying something else. I've never liked coated strings, but Guild took advantage of the existing GS Mini strings made for Taylor.

Here's an interesting review:

https://www.bassgearmag.com/the-guild-jumbo-junior-bass-wheres-the-bass-player/

Note also that it normally comes with a gig bag, but Guitar Center tends to remove that now and then (as in my case; no pun intended).

Much to my surprise, Elderly Music also carries this bass:

https://www.elderly.com/products/guild-jumbo-junior-acoustic-bass-guitar-and-gigbag

I didn't think of looking on their site, as it is listed as "exclusive to Guitar Center and Musician's Friend" at Guild's own website, and is for sale only in the USA.

https://www.elderly.com/products/guild-acoustic-deluxe-gig-bag-for-jumbo-junior-models

Elderly carries the designated gig bag from Guild, but I'm currently trying to find a hardshell case for it, and am temporarily using the gig bag for my H. Jimenez Bajo Quinto as I found a Silver Creek vintage dreadnought case that fit it just right.

https://www.wwbw.com/SKB-Taylor-GS-Mini-Guitar-Hardshell-Case-J15998-J15998000000000.wwbw

This is the right case for this instrument as it matches the specs pretty well and was designed for Taylor's similar instrument.

I can get 18% off plus I have almost $50 worth of vouchers, so I'll go ahead and splurge on this case, as I know I'll be keeping this bass for at least a year, as it needs to be tried for its unique contributions to many different projects and genres.

The SKB case arrived just now. It was a tough fit, even though the specs gave wiggle room in all dimensions.

The primary problem is the head stock, which is normal on the Guild but maybe is super-narrow on the Taylor GS Mini?

At any rate, I simply have to push down on the tuners, which will eventually form proper grooves and indentations in the plush interior lining and not be an issue.

But for now, it means I'll have to re-tune every time, and I mean from scratch vs. the usual fine-tuning when taking an instrument out of a protected case.

It's better than a thin gig bag, at least. But I am reminded once again, that SKB's specs aren't usually as accurate as those from Gator and other vendors.