Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I just got the vaccine. Ask me anything.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is that I got a shot as part of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson Ensemble 2 clinical trial yesterday (link). I don"t know if I got a placebo or the actual vaccine. The bad news is that I ran a temperature during the night, slept like crap, have a mild headache, and am generally sore all over from trying to get warm. I took some acetaminophen around 7 am and feeling slightly better.

I either got the actual vaccine or I"m really good at the placebo effect. I don"t discount either possibility! ð·ð I"m also very glad I didn"t get this last week before my run for the half marathon. I"ll be much happier about this when I feel better. I"m sure this is a typical reaction. You"re welcome for my contribution to another vaccine that will hopefully help end this pandemic.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my first shot (Pfizer). I felt a little woozy that night, but other than that no side effects except for a sore arm.

I live in the Columbia Gorge, with one foot in Washington and one in Oregon. I had to provide tax statements showing I own Washington property, and I was good to go over there - even though I live a mile from the border.

It's the only way this could have happened. Putting it bluntly - Washington is prioritizing seniors, while Oregon isn't. It's a huge issue, causing enormous confusion and resentments for Oregonians living on the border.

Washington also seems to have a much smoother rollout. It was a super slick operation - a drive thru mass vaccination site set up in a fairgrounds. We never left our car, and the actual vaccination was administered in a horse barn.

How cool is that! :laugh: Anyway I feel so lucky to get this done. Best wishes to all of you - and a speedy vaccination for those who want it. :)

My wife is a hospital pharmacist so she has a unique look into how it has been affecting a controlled group of people (employees). During the first dose implementation (mostly Moderna vaccine) in early/mid january, the hospital was paranoid about the possible effects, so employees were carefully staggered. Almost no one had a strong reaction and call-outs were minimal.

For the second dose, they assumed it would be the same and basically dropped the staggering system. The first day of vaccination round 2 came back with call-outs around 40%. My wife who had nothing but a sore shoulder after the first dose called out with a 102 fever and severe body aches for 24 hours.

She's worried about the general public's reaction when they hear by word of mouth how nasty the second dose can be.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

A student of mine (he works in a hospital) received the Moderna version.

First shot was non-incidental - sore shoulder and that was it. The second shot knocked him out for a week. Very tough sledding, didn't go to work, couldn't eat or even read.

We are hearing this is more typical of the Moderna version than the Pfizer. Apparently here in NorCal, I'm told Kaiser Permanente gives you a choice what version you want (presuming they have supplies of each on hand).

But I haven't gotten the notice yet. As an educator, I'm Phase 1B but don't know when they'll call us up. My 90-year old mom is obviously in more need than me (also Phase 1B), but even she hasn't gotten the OK from Kaiser yet.

A student of mine (he works in a hospital) received the Moderna version.

First shot was non-incidental - sore shoulder and that was it. The second shot knocked him out for a week. Very tough sledding, didn't go to work, couldn't eat or even read.

We are hearing this is more typical of the Moderna version than the Pfizer. Apparently here in NorCal, I'm told Kaiser Permanente gives you a choice what version you want (presuming they have supplies of each on hand).

I wouldn't use the word typical to describe a week of illness from the 2nd dose. Almost everyone with a strong reaction has recovered in a day or two, half or more people aren't bothered by the second dose.

She's worried about the general public's reaction when they hear by word of mouth how nasty the second dose can be.

I hope most people realize it's still better than the alternative.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I got a call about 2:30 pm on Wednesday, 27 January from my provider, stating that they had a "few" vaccine doses that weren't taken (maybe some folks who were scheduled didn't show up?). Asked first if I wanted it (yes), and second if I could get there in half an hour. Received the first one of Pfizer. Scheduled for second one on 17 February (presuming nothing happens to curtail the supply).

Didn't even feel the needle. They required me to sit for 15 minutes before leaving (good idea for any injection). Not even a sore arm that night or the next day. Didn't feel any tiredness beyond normal. Also gave me a card recording the information, and told to bring it back for the second shot.

I noticed on the paper record that I was originally scheduled to be done a week earlier, but counties got less doses that were expected that wee. Also there was a space on the form stating that I had at least two factors reducing my resistance (forgot exactly what they called that). COPD would be one, cancer survivor another.

I had not been contacted at all before. My wife got a call a couple of weeks ago stating that she was in the queue, but they hadn't gotten to her yet, to be patient.

Got an email from the state of NC DHHS the next day to register on a website, which I did. The record of the injection is also shown on the website, and that I am to return in no less than 3 weeks (it didn't specify a particular day).

Still taking precautions, but glad to have received it. My daughter that is an MSN in the Surgical Center had already received both doses.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

For the second dose, they assumed it would be the same and basically dropped the staggering system. The first day of vaccination round 2 came back with call-outs around 40%. My wife who had nothing but a sore shoulder after the first dose called out with a 102 fever and severe body aches for 24 hours.

Vanderbilt isn't letting people call out for fever etc if they have had the vaccine within the previous 2-3 days.

One co-worker had a temp spike of 102 and they told him to come in. They're also telling asymptotic positives to come in. Yay!

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

My doctor told me yesterday that the current vaccines aren't even vaccines. Rather they're DNA changers and he strongly advised not getting either one. The newer one from Johnson & Johnson is actually a vaccine and should be safer. I will not be getting any of them.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

AstraZeneca"s vaccine is looking good, and hopefully it will be approved here in the US soon. That"s more of a traditional vaccine than the Pfizer and Moderna ones, which use mRNA rather than any real virus. There"s a thread over in Craig"s SSS forum here where we"ve debated some of the nitty-gritty aspects. This thread probably isn"t the best place for that.

Me personally, I"m holding out for the AZ shot for many reasons including allergic risk. The FDA needs to get their butt moving - humans are the same in both the US and the UK.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

In the end all of these are somewhat of a mass experiment because we don"t have time for ten years of testing, and even then, there can be issues. Nothing"s great about any of this, but I"m throwing my lot in with AstraZeneca.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

My doctor told me yesterday that the current vaccines aren't even vaccines. Rather they're DNA changers and he strongly advised not getting either one. The newer one from Johnson & Johnson is actually a vaccine and should be safer. I will not be getting any of them.

With no disrespect to you, your doctor is an idiot and doesn't even understand the fundamentals of the term 'vaccine'. :)

They're not traditional vaccines, but they're not DNA changers either. Do they have potential to mess with other things? Maybe, but they're not DNA changers for anything.

Being over 60 in K-12 education, I got my second Pfizer shot this past Friday. Like the first shot, I did not feel the needle at all at the time.

The first shot gave me a very sore left shoulder for a couple of days, nothing more.

Symptoms after the second one (subject to post hoc fallacy and/or a reverse placebo effect): a very sore sternum on the opposite shoulder; and probably more significantly, pretty major lethargy two/three days after the shot. I've been fine as frog's hair since Tuesday.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

With no disrespect to you, your doctor is an idiot and doesn't even understand the fundamentals of the term 'vaccine'. :)

Maybe this will help.

[video:youtube]

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

FWIW, I had the second vaccine a couple of weeks ago (I volunteer as an EMT...I'm up anyway). Yes, they tell you what vaccine you get - you get a little cardboard card. Mine was Moderna. No after effects from the first one. Second one felt fine during that day, next morning was up at 4AM with aches and went into work. Felt like crap until noon, then felt great. Until 5PM. Then achy again, chills, ran a 100F fever. Went to sleep early and woke up feeling 100%.

I'm in my early 50's. My undergrad students who received their second shot all tell me they felt sleepy the second day, slept for 15 hours and woke up feeling great. To be young.

Goes to show that even doctors don't necessarily know jack if it's outside medicine, or even outside their specific area of medicine. "Changing DNA" holy crap...

Another example, my dad--a very smart guy-- fixed the machines that launched rockets and shuttles, but if you moved his shortcut on the desktop of his computer he was completely helpless. He literally couldn't "get on the internet".

The sad thing about all the anti-science and anti-vax beliefs (based on non-facts) is that it likely means this is going to be endemic, with the possibility for mutations moving forward, and that affects all of us. "We" could very likely wipe this out but only if enough people get vaccinated. I swear, it ain't gonna be WWIII or alien invasion or an asteroid or Yellowstone blowing up that gets us...it's fake news and influencers on youtube and facebook that'll do it....

I can hardly believe a doctor would say something like that, it's just flat out wrong. Also, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is only showing a 66% effective rate, versus 95% for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. There's nothing to fear from the mRNA type vaccine, other than a potentially rough day after the 2nd shot.

You can choose not to receive this vaccine but for Pete's sake, for your general health needs, please find a doctor whose understanding of science exceeds that of the average 9th grader.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

please find a doctor whose understanding of science exceeds that of the average 9th grader.

I hope there aren't any average 9th graders hanging out here who might be insulted. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The sad thing about all the anti-science and anti-vax beliefs (based on non-facts) is that it likely means this is going to be endemic, with the possibility for mutations moving forward, and that affects all of us. "We" could very likely wipe this out but only if enough people get vaccinated. I swear, it ain't gonna be WWIII or alien invasion or an asteroid or Yellowstone blowing up that gets us...it's fake news and influencers on youtube and facebook that'll do it....

Let's be real here, there was never a possibility of putting COVID back in the bottle, just like you can't eliminate the flu. You could forcibly vaccinate every person in the US at the same time and there's still going to be a new strain next year. All it takes is one infected person to fly to the US from another country without showing symptoms and the whole process starts over.

Our best hope is that the virus evolves into a weaker form until it's irrelevant, which has happened many times in the past, or our treatment methods reach a point that the elderly die at a much lower rate.

Let's be real here, there was never a possibility of putting COVID back in the bottle, just like you can't eliminate the flu. You could forcibly vaccinate every person in the US at the same time and there's still going to be a new strain next year. All it takes is one infected person to fly to the US from another country without showing symptoms and the whole process starts over.

Our best hope is that the virus evolves into a weaker form until it's irrelevant, which has happened many times in the past, or our treatment methods reach a point that the elderly die at a much lower rate.

Some people know that the average fatility ratio is about 1.6% and is stratified to << 0.5% for people under 70. and < 0.03% for people under 50. Those people go about their daily business.

If Covind-19 was like ebola, however, people would self quarantine like the world was coming to an end and rightfully so.

Today the supermarkets are packed and the streets are jammed.

CDC Stratfied Fatality Ratio

NYTimes US Statistics

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Wow, looks like I've stirred the pot up again on this forum. So a bunch of keyboardists likely none of which have any medical training or background think they know more than a D.O. with over 20 years of experience? This guy literally helped save my life because he thinks outside of the box compared to most MDs. Actually spends at least 30 minutes at your appointment vs. the 5 minutes most insurance driven doctors give you these days.

What about my doctor's patient who after receiving the second dose of the Modera "vaccine" developed a Parkinsons-like body tremor that doesn't go away even while asleep? Is this just an anomaly or is this something that affected her quicker than others who have gotten their second dose and are essentially just ticking time bombs right now?

Do what you wish but I'll protect myself by either wearing a mask (debatable whether how much they really work) or wear my personal air purifier that emits a small dose of ozone and photocatalytic ionization which kills anything in a 6 foot bubble.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR