Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virtual tour of an amazing vintage keys collection

You are cordially invited to join the Combo Organs Forum (https://groups.io/g/combo-organ ) this Thursday for its January Zoom Virtual Happy Hour, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (US). The session will feature a virtual tour of the Electronic Music Education and Preservation Project (EMEAPP), a private museum and educational facility located near Philadelphia that has perhaps the world"s most extensive collection of vintage rock keyboard instruments, as well as vintage amps, effects pedals, guitars, and studio gear.

If you can name a famous rock keyboard, there"s probably at least one of them there, including rare prototypes and instruments owned by top artists. EMEAPP is generally open only by special arrangement. Our virtual tour will include an overview of the amazing collection, and a demonstration of their Keith Emerson instruments, including Emerson's modular Moog, split Minimoog, Tarkus Hammond C-3 and others. We"ll also get a demo of an extremely rare Yamaha GX-1 'Dream Machine,' a groundbreaking, three-manual, polyphonic synth used by Emerson, Stevie Wonder, John Paul Jones and others. And there'll be plenty of time for your questions.

Don"t miss this opportunity! To participate, download the free Zoom app to your phone, tablet or computer. You'll need access to a mic and camera (or use the ones built-into your mobile device or laptop).

Thursday, January 28, at 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (US).

You can join the meeting by clicking on this link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86855390788?pwd=SFFUN00yNXZyNklpRDg3UjdNczZkdz09

To learn more about EMEAPP, go to EMEAPP.org. Dress is 'pandemic casual.' (Pajamas and slippers welcomed.) ð

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; Rhodes Stage 73; Rhodes Piano Bass; Hohner Clavinet D6; Hohner Pianet N; Vox Continental; Gibson G101 organ; Wurlitzer 140B; Minimoog Model D.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the invite! If this is anywhere near as good as the book, this should be great!

Thanks Tommy! I have visited EMEAPP, and it is truly 'Disneyland for Vintage Keys." It is an unbelievable collection. They have a lot of (justifiable) pride in what they've done, and I'm looking forward to watching a great presentation from them.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; Rhodes Stage 73; Rhodes Piano Bass; Hohner Clavinet D6; Hohner Pianet N; Vox Continental; Gibson G101 organ; Wurlitzer 140B; Minimoog Model D.

Yes, thanks for the invite. Can't make it, wish I could. Already scheduled for karate class.

For you and anyone else who has interest, but can't join in:

We record these sessions, and upload them to YouTube. I'll post a link on this site when the video is up.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Sounds awesome! I love your book. I'll try to make this unless something unusual comes up. I may be willing to trade off Jeopardy just this once :)

I hope you'll join us! And thanks for the kind words about "Classic Keys."

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

I'll post the Youtube link to the session when it's available soon. You might not have been able to get in anyway: We usually get 15 or so participants in these Happy Hour presentations. This one maxed out Zoom's ceiling of 100 participants. It really caught us by surprise. You'll definitely enjoy the video.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

I'll post the Youtube link to the session when it's available soon. You might not have been able to get in anyway: We usually get 15 or so participants in these Happy Hour presentations. This one maxed out Zoom's ceiling of 100 participants. It really caught us by surprise. You'll definitely enjoy the video.

Alan

Excellent - looking forward to seeing it :thu:

I was on for the full experience and loved it. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's an amazing collection, created and maintained by people who love vintage keyboard instruments!

The combo organ forum that sponsored this, https://groups.io/g/combo-organ, has been doing these Happy Hours roughly monthly during the pandemic, on a wide variety of vintage keys topics -- ranging from presentations of uncommon instruments to tips on doing museum-quality restorations and electronic troubleshooting basics. If you join the group, you'll be notified when each of these sessions is happening.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Here's a link to the recording of the session:

It runs about 1 hr, 50 minutes. It starts with a wide-ranging tour of the EMEAPP collection, and ends with them showing (and playing) their collection of Keith Emerson gear: His modular Moog, split Minimoog, Tarkus C-3, the L100 that famously caught fire on stage (complete with Keith's daggers), and some other keys. They also show some of his stage clothes, and gear and memorabilia of other ELP members.

The modular Moog sounds are just incredible!

Enjoy,

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

That.

Was.

AWESOME.

Incredible, huh? If you're ever going to be in the Philly area, and you ask them nicely in advance, you can have your own tour, led by people who really love these instruments.

Playing Emerson's modular Moog is like a religious experience.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Thanks for letting us all know about that Alan. I was not able to watch live, but certainly caught the presentation on YouTube. Truly entertaining!

When things clear up, that would be a welcome side trip on a trip East!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

That was outstanding. It made all of my old prog antennae quiver lustily. High points of the tour: Keith's 1904 Steinway, The Tony Banks / Genesis tour case and the Tarkus 'dillo sculpture.

You could make a modest but definite amount of money if you could produce a certain number of those to sell, maybe 1/4 that size? Plastic, maybe? :) I know it was a one-off, but don't dismiss the revenue streams you can draw from glazzy-eyed old proggers. Again, thanks for the fine tour.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Unbelievable. Thanks for this.

It definitely IS unbelievable! Just so you know, EMEAPP has been hit quite hard financially by the pandemic. If anyone is inclined to throw a donation their way, they can go to EMEAPP.org. (By the way, they don't use donations to buy more exotic gear. They use them to fund educational and research operations.)

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com