Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Extra Deluxe Mfg. "Sixty-One" Premium MIDI Controller

Hey, to be fair, it would be really handy if you had to sub in for a major player and there was a ton of modern synth material in there. ;)

I think the point we're trying to make is that for your scenario MANY available controllers could do the job, even cheap ones. For $750 I could purchase a keyboard that could do what this keyboard does plus a ton of other things it can't do.

Everyone has different values; mine has always been a value-based purchase. Even though I could purchase a $750 keyboard (without even having to ask my wife!) I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a 61 key keyboard with so little features when I could get those limited features in other keyboards for much less money. The Code 61 I pointed to in an above post has a ton more features, cost less than 1/2 this keyboard and is 1/2 the weight. Since the Code can do everything that keyboard can do I couldn't ever envision a scenario where I would outlay $750 for a keyboard with this feature set.

Your controller is a mediocre piece of gear for a overcharged price compared w/ it´s features,- period! A.C.

I'm in A.C.'s camp on this one.

P.S. When I first saw the name I thought it had something to do with the Fender Deluxe amp..... LOL.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, also...I would bet this has a better action than that Panorama T6, if it's anything like the Nektar LX line. I had to use one at an open mic and that action was dreadful. I've never felt something so plasticky.

The action of this "Extra Deluxe" has been mentioned in this thread - Fatar TP-9S. Miden here just got the Panorama P6, the line below the Ts, and likes the action on that. The LX is the low end of their line, hopefully the Ts and Ps have a different action.

As far as build, I believe the Arturia Keylab 61 is aluminum with wood end panels, and is around $500USD. I'm not sure about the other mfrs' high end models like the NI Komplete Kontrol.

I think it's a pretty narrow slice of the keyboard controller market that this particular one is aimed at. Touring folks playing with tracks wanting a clean stage look with a somewhat retro vibe is the impression I get. As with a lot of music these days, the visual aspect seems more important to some. Hell, why go halfway? Someone should produce a beautiful fake keyboard controller - just keys that move and a few retro knobs. It would sure make setup a lot easier!

IIRC, the TP-9S is the same keybed Alesis used in the QS6, QS7 and Andromeda. It's in the DSI PEK and a few of Dave's other synths, as mentioned earlier.

The QS7 has a metal chassis, four assignable sliders, 76 keys, three pedal jacks (one sustain, two assignable), a backlit dispay...and comes with 16MB of onboard wave ROM and a fairly decent assortment of programs. The 61 key QS6 only has one slider and less foot jacks (and only 8MB of ROM), but the QS6.1 upgraded those to the same as the bigger siblings. They're pretty affordable used.

Not trying to bust the Extra Deluxe guy - sorry, don't know your name - just sharing my impressions. I actually like the product's concept, but I'm inclined to agree that it may be priced a bit high. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hey all,

I agree that the pricing seems a little high for what it is. I'm not the target market anyways. I'm not saying I would buy one or even consider it.

I like the looks though and concept. Even just hooking it up to some racks would be fun. But it's a little overpriced for what it is IMO.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

MIDI controllers as a premium segment hasn"t seen much traction since the days of having multiple hardware sound modules in a rack. You therefore needed a master keyboard smart enough to handle all the zoning, which module received what control changes, etc etc, on the transmitting end. I always root for companies like this, though, even though I usually get my heart broken. The Infinite Response VAX-77 was the last thing I think was truly interesting in this space, with the folding in half and poly aftertouch, but even more so because of the feel. The heaviest action option was the one to get. It was priced a lot higher than the Extra Deluxe, and not a commercial success. It's hard for me to see $749 for a Fatar TP-9S action in a nice housing, but it's an undeniably beautiful piece of work.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Great controllers of the past -

Kurzweil Midi Board

Yamaha KX88

Roland A50, A70

Viscount still making their K4/K5 series controllers?

Looks to me like they're just making the EX version of the K4 and K5 Physis controllers (stage piano with all the controller stuff from the basic K4 and K5.

Only place I could find them was at Thomann overseas.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Looks to me like they're just making the EX version of the K4 and K5 Physis controllers (stage piano with all the controller stuff from the basic K4 and K5.

K4 and K5 EX versions ARE the controllers,- plus the previously optional physical modelling- and sample based sound engine already assembled.

The price is killer @Thomann while you find ´em in "masterkeyboard" and "stage piano" category as well.

I´m not sure about for how long these will be available and I have the impression the pure controller keyboards are already discontinued even these are still on display on Viscount Physis Piano website.

The actual price for K4 and K5 EX models might have to do w/ usage of the "old" Physis Piano sound engine and the release of the Viscount Legend 70 series of stage pianos.

The Legend 70 series might have more DSP power under the hood, changed processor or such,- but I´m not sure.

It´s optional "external MIDI" module isn´t on par w/ K4/5 (EX),- in fact it´s night and day.

Nonetheless,- the physical modelling sounds in the EX models still improved w/ firmware updates, but I dunno how well internal sound editing works w/ K4/5 haptics and vs. the original Physis Piano H-series instruments which used the touch sensitive surface.

The drawback of EX models is the longer boot time vs. pure K4 / K5,- about 90 sec is what I read in the web,- but can be they were able to bring it down already.

When they came w/ a black or "oberheimish" cream version, I already bought one.

Up to now, I hate their blue finish and knob- as well as fader- caps look cheap.

But MIDI functionality is king of the hill !

I have a old upright piano which I could use as a shell,- so I imagined throwing in K4EX, computer and screen(s), put speakers on top and use it in the studio room.

A.C.

Kurzweil Midi Board

Yamaha KX88

Roland A50, A70

I think the A-50 used the same action as the JX-10. Those were nice keys...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I do admire the manufacturer for putting this product out, it's nice to see an alternative to all the flimsy and cheap feeling pieces out there these days.

It will be up to each person to decide if this unit is a good value for them, and time will tell if it is a success at a level that works for the manufacturer.

I strongly agree with a previous poster that older 80s/90s synths can make for good controllers on the cheap. I recently bought an Alesis QS7 for $150, specifically to use as a home studio controller for soft synths, it has I believe a TP-9s action that feels much better (to me) than most current controllers I have tried.

As mentioned here it is a nice combination of solid metal chassis, 76 keys instead of the more common 61, 4 sliders, good feeling wheels, and lots of pedal inputs. I don't use the internal sounds but if I were gigging they would make a nice emergency backup if a laptop based rig had any issues.

Even more recently I also picked up a used Roland A70 controller, which I may end up keeping over the Alesis. It has an even better feeling keybed (I think this is a TP-9S), and longer keys that are the proper "piano length" which feels a little better as well.

For anyone going down this road, guitar center's used site is a good resource. They have a lot of older controllers and romplers/synths at decent prices, and if you get it and it doesn't have the feel you were hoping for, it can be returned (for 45 days) at a brick and mortar location if you have one near you.

I have tried out a lot of the controllers and synths in my local music shops, and it seems like these days, the only good feeling synth actions are on the very top tier of workstations from the "big 3" (Montage, Kronos, Fantom). To get the good quality keybed, you have to pay thousands of dollars extra for huge amounts of workstation hardware and content you may not want at all. Frustrating!

I thought the action on the new Fantom 6 felt wonderful (and acoustically very quiet as well, which is rare). I really wish Roland would make a super simple controller with that exact action in a sturdy chassis, with minimal controls, and price it as low as a mass-production company like them could get away with. 61 and 76 key versions.

If it were a reasonable price it would be a quick buy for me, and maybe for many others as well.

Thanks!

Dan Steinberg

Freelance Product Manager

https://www.linkedin.com/in/danielmsteinberg/

Welcome! Thank you for reaching out to us!

You're talking about a situation like what some of the touring keyboardists have, where all the changes, sidechains, volume automation, etc is pre-recorded and one just plays the notes and maybe the pitch/mod wheels, correct?

Exactly

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a great representative sample of keyboard players here. In my opinion, you'll appeal to a broader market if you look beyond the "pre-programmed tour" sector - to include expression pedal, aftertouch, 9 sliders (to control organ modules/apps), split-layer, patch selection (10-key numeric pad) etc. A 73/76-key model would also be of interest - there's very little available in this size. Also high-trigger - I don't know of a pure-controller with this option. I admire your dedication to quality, and wish you luck in this enterprise.

+1 on the Alesis QS7 range - the action is lovely, the build quality solid, and the functionality strong. Just needs a high trigger option.

Regards, Mike.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a great representative sample of keyboard players here. In my opinion, you'll appeal to a broader market if you look beyond the "pre-programmed tour" sector - to include expression pedal, aftertouch, 9 sliders (to control organ modules/apps), split-layer, patch selection (10-key numeric pad) etc.

See the mfr's message a few posts above (#3081680):

"We know these exist. This was our model for the exact opposite of what we wanted to do."

Looks like they don't want to appeal to a "broader market." I'm not quite sure about the market they're targeting, but I do wish them success.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a great representative sample of keyboard players here. In my opinion, you'll appeal to a broader market if you look beyond the "pre-programmed tour" sector - to include expression pedal, aftertouch, 9 sliders (to control organ modules/apps), split-layer, patch selection (10-key numeric pad) etc.

See the mfr's message a few posts above (#3081680):

"We know these exist. This was our model for the exact opposite of what we wanted to do."

Looks like they don't want to appeal to a "broader market." I'm not quite sure about the market they're targeting, but I do wish them success.

"...We know these exist. This was our model for the exact opposite of what we wanted to do." Looks like they don't want to appeal to a "broader market...".

I guess this is where I scratch my head; I don't think that their target market is the broader market; I would think it is a narrower market. But hey, what the hell do I know....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

K4 and K5 EX versions ARE the controllers,- plus the previously optional physical modelling- and sample based sound engine already assembled.

A.C.

Yes, I know that, I wasn't descriptive enough, assuming everyone knew at one point they had the non EX which didn't have the physical modelling :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: