Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Convolution Reverbs for Cabs

A lot of amp sims have convolution engines for loading IRs, which is cool. But while researching the topic for a forthcoming book, I check out quite a few convolution engine options and was surprised at the wide variety in sound quality when using the same impulse. The ones included in amp sims generally weren't as good as the convolution processors designed for reverb. One of the best I've tested so far is MOTU's ProVerb, cab impulses sound really good through it.

So here's the question: there are a lot of third-party impulse responses out there. Do any of you have any favorites? I did find a site that has some pretty good free cab impulse responses. Click on the free tab, download, and rock out!

I don't have a super-pricey convolution reverb like the Altiverb...I wonder if it would sound even better, or whether you reach a point of diminishing returns.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much of a guitarist but for re-amping DI signals from other players etc I kind of like Audio Assault's impulses. I also like their "Grind Machine" amp/cab simulator for harder material here and there.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

God's Cab has a dry and old-school uncolored sound, kinda.

The Revalver "Doc's Best 212" (whatever that means?) has a somewhat similar character, in that it's not super low-treble forward sounding.

I bought the Softube 1959 sim because I think it may have the best recorded cab sim - but you can't disable the amp model, which only does one aspect of a plexi sound; the farther you go from every knob being at 12o'clock the gnarlier and less realistic it sounds. Again, like with most modellers, it's like you've got to stay within the sweet spot of what the makers originally *wanted* to hear, and outside of that it goes bad. I wish they'd revise it to let you just use the cabs.

Getting a "properly "small", not close ala 70's" cab sound is the hardest thing with speaker sims. It sounds to me like a lot of them are recorded through either cheesy preamps, or they were too hot, or they used a particularly brittle sounding solid state amp to shoot the impulse. There is treble coloration that can't be removed, like on drum samples today - it's like everything is geared towards making something that sounds like a loud NIckelback/pop recording, narrow and for high gain.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien