Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody have "The Famous E" Rhodes VST?

I can't find much in the way of opinions or reviews on "The Famous E Electric Piano" Rhodes by Orange Tree Samples.

I'm puzzled why there is so little talk of it. I invite commentary on it.

Demos of the "E"

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this âModel E' sample set since a few months and for me it"s on par with the Purgatory Creek samples and the Scarbee EP88. It has a great natural long sustain and is perfect for ballads. First i had to tweak a little bit with the internal eq's because i didn't like most of the preset settings, but then it really nailed that LA-sound perfectly for me!

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

it really nailed that LA-sound perfectly for me!

I'm chuckling because this e-piano is literally THE LA-sound!

Nothing to chuckle - this is not the sound, it's only a sample of it! :cool:

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

I have found I love playing a Rhodes sound with jazz guitarists as jazz duets. The two sounds Complement and blend marvelously. There are 2 albums by Gil Goldstein on Rhodes and Pat Martino on guitar alone together. It"s all Introspective ballad work. I tried it with Mojo organ but it"s a lot much more work with organ because there"s no dynamics and no sustain pedal, it"s just not pianistic. I find ballads in particular are a real struggle on organ, the sound and subtlety aren"t there for me. I like organ for blues and quick tempos but find the range of expression more barrow than Piano.

I should have the E piano installed in the next 24 hours. Looking forward

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I don't have this virtual instrument, but I have played the actual Leeds Rental unit E in Santa Barbara. Must be close to 20 years ago at this point. It was owned by an appliance store owner named George, who had it set up in his home studio. You can't make this s*** up.

Apropos of nothing, I really dig the 'Nefertiti' Rhodes patch in the Nord Grand.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I find the Nord Nefertiti very dynamic, with lots of headroom and barking, if you grab in. What don't like about it is the quite short sustain, espacially in the upper ranges. For me a long sustain is a very important part of the Rhodes magic and here the Nefertiti is lacking. The âFamous E' is totally opposite here, tons of sustain!

Since you're discussing Nord E-pianos, I think this is OK to share. I am friends with the gentleman who samples and provides all the Rhodes source material for Nord. A few years ago I was going to be playing a gig where I would be using a backline Nord and asked him for his opinion of which sounds to consider loading in. These are his descriptions of some of the sounds for me:

The most beautiful and soulful patch is the "Sparkletop" which is a Ray-Mac, felt-hammer beauty from 1967. It will give you the perfect sound for any vintage repertoire, and also has a lovely top, a bit more open than the common picture we all have of the sound from the 60's and early 70's. Just eq it to your liking.

If you are playing material from late 70's and 80's and need a real slick LA, 'E'-Rhodes, Dyny-My ( close to DX7 Rhodes ) you shall use the "Bright Tines". It has an emphasized bell and attack and is a direct copy of the real 'E', that I have original samples from. I prepared the Rhodes I sampled for this with the "Herbie-trick" of moving harder hammer tips further down and even using 7 different durometer hardness tips, which to my knowledge has never been done before. It might strike you as too much, but please take you time and work some eq, reverb and chorus.

Lastly, the "fun" one is my own 1970 Stage 73 sampled as "Nefertiti". A bit worn, uneven and not so "perfect". I sampled this without trying to correct all noise, tonal nuances and other things you normally try to wash away. It's the most recent one, and I think it has the best resolution.

It's some interesting "background" into the sounds. Enjoy.

Jerry

Good information. I prefer the Nefertiti as well for reasons mentioned above. Not to turn this into a Nord discussion but for those that have a Stage 3 - with Nefertiti on panel A with no effects, volume all the way up, set the layer detune to 1. Add Nefertiti to panel B, volume 1/2 way and set eq to taste. I like to brighten up the second layer. Instant transformation from raw 70's to Al Jarreau 80's by turning the piano layer on panel b on and off. Real nice on ballads, I prefer it over the chorus effect.

Mike

• 5 months later...
Downloaded it on the group buy yesterday. I really like many of the presets but something I'm not crazy about is the application of the fx â they don't kick in until the "next note." Sometimes I like to engage tremolo while a chord is sustaining. Not quite as punchy or fully-editable as Canterbury. Still, a good buy, especially at the discount!

Here for the gear.

Downloaded it on the group buy yesterday. I really like many of the presets but something I'm not crazy about is the application of the fx â they don't kick in until the "next note." Sometimes I like to engage tremolo while a chord is sustaining.

Exactly what I was gonna write. Not only "next note"; all notes that were sounding before you engaged the fx have to be gone for the fx to turn on â and by "gone", that means both note offs and sustain off, if the notes are being sustained.

Downloaded it on the group buy yesterday. I really like many of the presets but something I'm not crazy about is the application of the fx â they don't kick in until the "next note." Sometimes I like to engage tremolo while a chord is sustaining.

Exactly what I was gonna write. Not only "next note"; all notes that were sounding before you engaged the fx have to be gone for the fx to turn on â and by "gone", that means both note offs and sustain off, if the notes are being sustained.

Yes, and I should have broadened my comment!

I have this habit of using Tremolo like a singer or horn player uses vibrato, so this way of setting up the effect is really awkward.

Here for the gear.

I remember back in the day when vintage Rhodes were becoming the thing in LA. Most the projects I was involved with were renting gear from SIR and it was getting hard to rent old Rhodes. I talked to guys that worked for SIR they said people kept renting vintage Rhodes and other vintage gear then claiming they were stolen and paying for them. Guess that's one way to get hard to find gear.

I have this habit of using Tremolo like a singer or horn player uses vibrato, so this way of setting up the effect is really awkward.

Me too. It's a little disconcerting to turn an effect on & off and not have it turn on or off. The behavior we're describing applies to turning things off too â the effect will continue if there are notes sounding before we switch something off. It's the only outright negative I've seen in this otherwize great-sounding instrument (so far at least).

Me too. It's a little disconcerting to turn an effect on & off and not have it turn on or off. The behavior we're describing applies to turning things off too â the effect will continue if there are notes sounding before we switch something off. It's the only outright negative I've seen in this otherwize great-sounding instrument (so far at least).

I emailed Orange Tree Samples about this issue and received the following reply:

â

Hi Rod,

That's something we've been looking into to find a solution so that those effects can actively update instead of passively updating as currently.

Both the chorus and tremolo require a different amount of polyphony to emulate their effects. For example, the tremolo models the left and right channel separately, so for every note you play, it's actually playing two notes--one in the left channel and another in the right. Unfortunately there isn't a easy solution in Kontakt to dynamically switch those necessary samples off and on.

However, we're working on the update for The Famous E right now, and that's one of the things we're hoping to solve in the update--among a few other items, such as adding a cabinet modeling effect.

Kind regards,

Greg

---

Greg Schlaepfer

Orange Tree Samples

https://www.orangetreesamples.com

Here for the gear.

I don't have this virtual instrument, but I have played the actual Leeds Rental unit E in Santa Barbara. Must be close to 20 years ago at this point. It was owned by an appliance store owner named George, who had it set up in his home studio. You can't make this s*** up.

Can't make it up if it's true. :cool:

George Mamalakis is his name, and the piano has it's own website. :keys:

https://www.emodelrhodes.com/

:nopity: