Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Extra Deluxe Mfg. "Sixty-One" Premium MIDI Controller

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like a labor of love so I don't want to rain on anyone's parade too hard, but... $750 and no expression pedal input? I get it: the focus is on build quality. But features-wise it's on par with the cheapest 61-key controllers. That's quite a hefty premium to pay for wood and metal. I honestly wish this person the best and hope he or she finds enough of a market to make the time and money investment worthwhile. It's not for me though.

As posted previously, many controllers focus on production/recording/loopz'n'beatz, so there is a niche for a controller aimed at live performance for the discerning player. The internal PSU is certainly a nod to that market.

However... as brother Reezekeys points out, this is very feature-light. A few knobs, no sliders, no patch select buttons, no expression pedal - doesn't cut it, no matter the price.

Cheers, Mike

This looks like a labor of love so I don't want to rain on anyone's parade too hard, but... $750 and no expression pedal input? I get it: the focus is on build quality. But features-wise it's on par with the cheapest 61-key controllers. That's quite a hefty premium to pay for wood and metal. I honestly wish this person the best and hope he or she finds enough of a market to make the time and money investment worthwhile. It's not for me though.

+1

I've just sent him an email asking about reassigning the input and if it's even TRS. If I hear back, I'll post. Otherwise, it's a non-starter.

Here for the gear.

The website describes the 1/4" input in back as "a switch input for sending on/off MIDI messages", so my guess is that it can't be used for an expression pedal. But what if you could? That would mean giving up using a sustain pedal.

Exactly. And taking into account this thing has weighted action, it's for AP/EP mostly. But no harm in asking, if at least to get the guy thinking about it if he hasn't already ruled it out.

Here for the gear.

Exactly. And taking into account this thing has weighted action, it's for AP/EP mostly. But no harm in asking, if at least to get the guy thinking about it if he hasn't already ruled it out.

I thought it said semi-weighted?

Regardless, the very first thing I saw was no EXP input. However, based on the pictures, you can do a handstand on it ;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Not enough features/ possibilities for the money !

A sustain pedal and 4 or 5 knobs are simply not enough for a real pro MIDI controller keyboard.

Think about what a Viscount/ Physis Piano K5 EX (includes Physical modelling sounds) offers for less than EUR 1.200,- and just only MIDI wise ... routing, processing, all the physical MIDI / USB-MIDI I/Os. all the control knobs, sliders, wheels AND pedal-/switches connectivity.

And when disli,ing the Fatar TP100/LR action,- pay a bit more for the 88-keys TP-40 L version.

A.C.

I purchased one of these a couple of weeks ago.

M-Audio Code 61

- 61 full-size semi-weighted keys, velocity- and pressure-sensitive keys with aftertouch

- 4 assignable zones for splits and layering

- 16 fully assignable velocity-sensitive trigger pads for beat production, clip launching and more;

- 8 assignable 360 enCoders combined

- 9 assignable faders and buttons for controlling your DAW and Virtual Instruments

- Fully assignable, Ableton-friendly XY pad for HID control and a unique way of controlling multiple parameters in virtual instruments

- Minimal setup required | Mackie/HUI transport control enables for a simple setup with the most popular DAWs

- USB bus powered

- Optional 9V power supply

- On-board 5 pin MIDI In and Out

- USB interface

- sustain pedal interface

- expression pedal interface

- 11 pounds

Less than 1/2 the cost of the Extra Deluxe Mfg model. I wish the Code 61 were manufactured in a 73 key package but 61 keys is the top end limit.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I just contacted them on the keybed question. (I too am a huge fan of the TP-8S). Alas, it's a TP-9S.

I think that is the same keybed that Sequential use in the P6 and a few others. I have a P6 and the keyboard is really nice for synth but also very good for organ. It's very light and although the keys are not waterfall the edges are very slightly rounded so good for palm smears and stuff.

Great choice I suppose if you don't want to use it for piano. But far too expensive anyway.

Here's pic of the editor:

1805.jpg.9b26ed21e43d0d1d56b0d059a39556a8.jpg

Deluxe maybe. Extra, no. For me, a 61 note controller needs 9 sliders (to assign to drawbars), and preferably at least two pedal switches plus a CC pedal as a starting point. "Extra" would include additional controller inputs, a numeric display / numeric entry, and (a man can dream) polyphonic AT.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Too expensive not to say where they sourced the action and too limited number of controllers.

Looks nicer than what others are building.

When sticking the controllers to the left, it sucks because that"s where you"d went to sit the draw bar or fader controller it lacks.

A sustain pedal and at least one expression pedal input is a must. Good call on including AT.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think that you can re-assign the sustain jack to be an expression pedal input, but I agree - it should have both, along with INC/DEC buttons for patch changes. Maybe in the next iteration . . . .

I do like this idea. This module was designed for the stage. In an environment where you were not the one doing patch changes. Everything was automated. We hated how there were no good looking midi controllers. The plastic ones always broke and required some sort of cover up to look good. We had thought about endless encoders for patch changes, more of a studio version.

I purchased one of these a couple of weeks ago.

M-Audio Code 61

- 61 full-size semi-weighted keys, velocity- and pressure-sensitive keys with aftertouch

- 4 assignable zones for splits and layering

- 16 fully assignable velocity-sensitive trigger pads for beat production, clip launching and more;

- 8 assignable 360 enCoders combined

- 9 assignable faders and buttons for controlling your DAW and Virtual Instruments

- Fully assignable, Ableton-friendly XY pad for HID control and a unique way of controlling multiple parameters in virtual instruments

- Minimal setup required | Mackie/HUI transport control enables for a simple setup with the most popular DAWs

- USB bus powered

- Optional 9V power supply

- On-board 5 pin MIDI In and Out

- USB interface

- sustain pedal interface

- expression pedal interface

- 11 pounds

Less than 1/2 the cost of the Extra Deluxe Mfg model. I wish the Code 61 were manufactured in a 73 key package but 61 keys is the top end limit.

We know these exist. This was our model for the exact opposite of what we wanted to do.

The website describes the 1/4" input in back as "a switch input for sending on/off MIDI messages", so my guess is that it can't be used for an expression pedal. But what if you could? That would mean giving up using a sustain pedal.

Technically it could be wired that way but you would lose sustain and one of the pots would become an on off.

Welcome! Thank you for reaching out to us!

You're talking about a situation like what some of the touring keyboardists have, where all the changes, sidechains, volume automation, etc is pre-recorded and one just plays the notes and maybe the pitch/mod wheels, correct?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I retired my pc361 to "controller duty". It has a flickering screen that I fear may go out at some point. Works great as a controller with the fatar action and if I want to I could set up all the controls to map to software.

Thanks for stopping by and voluntarily running our little gauntlet. We really do respect that!

I do fear that your design intent will limit your market severely, though. But then, the gap between me and an actual touring professional has been pretty huge since about 1980.

Good luck, and thanks again.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

You're talking about a situation like what some of the touring keyboardists have, where all the changes, sidechains, volume automation, etc is pre-recorded and one just plays the notes and maybe the pitch/mod wheels, correct?

Exactly

LOL !

Now I know what we keyboardists really are ...

guys playing along w/ backing tracks and "pre-recorded" program changes, controller settings/ changes and just only playin´ some notes ...

Well, when I was active as a touring keyboardist, that biz was VERY different !

NO backing tracks and pre-recorded stuff at all,- only occasionally a sequence, because the task wasn´t worth sacrificing a hand and fingers and/or hiring another keyboardplayer for.

Your controller is a mediocre piece of gear for a overcharged price compared w/ it´s features,- period !

A.C.

Exactly

LOL !

Now I know what we keyboardists really are ...

guys playing along w/ backing tracks and "pre-recorded" program changes, controller settings/ changes and just only playin´ some notes ...

Well, when I was active as a touring keyboardist, that biz was VERY different !

NO backing tracks and pre-recorded stuff at all,- only occasionally a sequence, because the task wasn´t worth sacrificing a hand and fingers and/or hiring another keyboardplayer for.

Your controller is a mediocre piece of gear for a overcharged price compared w/ it´s features,- period !

A.C.

Hey, to be fair, it would be really handy if you had to sub in for a major player and there was a ton of modern synth material in there. ;)

Keep in mind that most pop music now has sidechain effects and things that pretty much need to be automated (unless you have a Montage, where you can sidechain the sounds to a kick mic that you run into the audio ins). But even that is limited. Modern electronic-based music pretty much requires some automation by its very nature. Better than playing to tracks!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well,- you´re free buying this toy for $750 !

Plz show me what functionality it offers other cheaper controllers don´t offer.

2 wheels, 5 assignable physical controllers and a sustain pedal input is what I got everywhere.

What quality is the action ? Do you know already?

My old Edirol PCR-300 is a "very good" ( related to many other) MIDI controller offering tons of knobs, sliders, mergable USB and Din-MIDI and sustain- as well as MIDI CCpedal input.

I bought a used one in excellent condition for EUR 99,- and now you can find ´em w/ 61 keys for cheap too.

It still works w/ Win7 ...

The Roland A500 is almost the same,- not THAT much physical controllers available vs. the Edirol,- but plenty nontheless,- and they have a good action compared to most of the MIDI controllers available.

Actually my favourite is Nektar Panorama T6.

:-)

A.C.

I get the impression that the real idea here was to make a heavy-duty well-built controller that had kind of a stylish look on stage, sort of chasing an aesthetic while having really good build quality. And their preferred action. I suspect there is a very limited market for it, but hey, if I could build something exactly the way I would want it, half of KC would probably hate it too lol.

Oh yeah, also...I would bet this has a better action than that Panorama T6, if it's anything like the Nektar LX line. I had to use one at an open mic and that action was dreadful. I've never felt something so plasticky.