Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Older Roland SR-JV80 Boards - What's the most useful?

Hi everyone,

I've owned a Roland JV-1000 for several years and it has one slot for an SR-JV80 series expansion board (as well as one SO-PCM1 card but those were less common to begin with apparently). I'm curious, is anyone here still using anything from a SR-JV80 board? I'm trying to decide what would be the most useful since I can only have one board installed. Does anyone have any recommendations for one to get? Note that I'm not someone who needs a lot of synth sounds, so I haven't been very compelled by the Vintage Synth board (or its price) and the Keys of the '60s and '70s seems overpriced as well. I probably wouldn't get a ton of usage out of that either between the other boards I have. But if there is a strong use case, I could be persuaded possibly. The JV-1000 only has 28 notes of polyphony as opposed to later models (it's basically a JV-80 with a sequencer and more sounds). I already have a VE-GS1 installed that is of limited usefulness lol.

I'm aware of the exploding capacitor issue. It appears that some of the boards available have already been serviced so I would likely go for one of them to keep things simple.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thank you!

Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it depends on what kind of music you are interested in, but my absolute favorite was the World card. It contains beautiful renditions of many, many ethnic instruments from all around the world. I now have an Integra 7 which has all the SRX cards on board, but I was disappointed to discover that the SRX card that was supposed to include the JV World card (I think it was SRX-09, World Collection) does *not* include all the waveforms and patches from the original.

Since I still have a JV World card, periodically I'm tempted to get something like a JV880 just to have the complete World card again.

Vocal is really special if you need those sounds. The choirs were licensed from Eric Pershing's Spectrasonics, and in a cost cutting move they didn't carry them in anything else. Roland has never equaled them themselves.

The boy's choirs and Gregorian choirs are truly awesome, and great for layering in pads.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! They have been helpful.

I'm technically interested in most music genres, but I'm kind of looking to fill the holes in the soundset and to bring the board as up to date as I can. It has tons of synth sounds that are really good but some of the other things are a bit lacking. Not that I bought it to be my main board lol but it's a handy more-compact practice instrument to use at my dorm while my PC3 is out. I just bought an SO-PCM1-02 Guitar and Brass card to use that expansion capability.

I've listened to the demos of the SR-JV80 boards on Synthmania - I am kind of leaning toward the Session board because of the piano, but the Bass & Drums board makes massive improvements in bass and drum sounds, which are where the JV is really, really severely lacking. To anyone who uses the Session board, how's the piano hold up compared to the regular XP/JV piano? I don't trust online demos. :D

Keep the info coming please! Thank you!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

To anyone who uses the Session board, how's the piano hold up compared to the regular XP/JV piano?

It's significantly better (but still not on par with today's offerings).

A big 1000% here. If you are going to rely on your JV-1000 for piano, the Session board is a must. I remember doing some demo work for a local artist back in the day using the Session piano. Everyone was happy with it, and even I was impressed with how it sounded once the tracks were laid down. And I regularly gigged with it for 10 years.

I don't want to oversell it because there are far better choices today. And it needs to be in stereo, because it doesn't sum well or sound right with just one channel. But I think a guy could still get by with it.

I've listened to the demos of the SR-JV80 boards on Synthmania - I am kind of leaning toward the Session board because of the piano, but the Bass & Drums board makes massive improvements in bass and drum sounds, which are where the JV is really, really severely lacking. To anyone who uses the Session board, how's the piano hold up compared to the regular XP/JV piano? I don't trust online demos. :D

I've owned several SR-JV80 boards over the years, and I would definitely recommend Session as a good all-rounder. As others have commented, the piano patch is a big improvement (up until recently I was using an XP-30 for improv theatre, and I would use the Session piano patch for 80% of the shows â it was perfectly adequate in that context!) As already mentioned, it's not up there with today's piano patches, but certainly usable IMO. There are some really cool other sounds (especially pads) that I really enjoyed on the Session board.

As for Bass & Drums, going by the patches in SRX-07 Ultimate Keys, the bass/drums are indeed a huge improvement. Having said that, if I only had one slot to fill and had to choose between those two, I would go for Session (because of the piano, but it also adds a range of useful sound in other categories).

I wish Roland still made these as they aren"t easy to find and used boards can be really expensive (at least on eBay or Craigslist). Finding one for a hundred bucks would be a steal. Most are well north of that and the selection is limited. I have an XV-3080 that I still use for some staples and I would love to add the Session board or perhaps Ultimate Keys.

Maybe they want to encourage sales of Integra 7 or maybe it"s just not economical to make them anymore.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Just remember to change the capacitors, or have someone change them (needs soldering)! The JV80 boards can 'explode'!

The SRX boards - which are expensive, still - combined a bunch of these into single boards, but people say the programming in those is worse than on the older JV80 boards.

I found a guy last year who sold a load of these, all in their original boxes, for about $75/pc. I"ve got a 5080 so I jumped on it. I was only familiar with the Bass & Drums board from an earlier XP-80, so here are some thoughts on the others. He also had the Session, Country and the 60"s & 70"s KB board(s) but I skipped it, since I have the original Roland CD-ROM set (uncompressed) and really, all those sounds in various better modern formats.

Bass & Drums - this is Spectrasonics" Bass Legends (2CD) library in board format. The drums are meh but the basses are still superb. It"s Marcus Miller, Abe Laboriel and Patitucci.

Hip Hop - some nice vintage Roland style synth leads and basses, but a ton of useless tempo-locked loop stuff as well.

Techno - also some usable synth sounds, but lots of tempo-locked loops too (which I have rarely any use for)

Special FX - this is Spectrasonics" Distorted Reality library in board form. Fun stuff for atmospheric creations, even though these are often also in tempo.

World - this one is often recommended, but IMO it was a bit disappointing for me. Has a few nice ethnic presets, but a ton of really dated stuff as well. IMO the best ethnic hardware unit is still E-MU"s Planet Earth (which can be ridiculously expensive!)

Thank you for all of that! Sounds like if I ever end up with something that takes more than 1 SR-JV80 board I'll have to add a Bass & Drums board. They certainly have stayed rather inexpensive compared to many of the others.

Just remember to change the capacitors, or have someone change them (needs soldering)! The JV80 boards can 'explode'!

I'm aware of that. Some folks are selling them already re-capped, which would be handy.

I'm thinking I will try to find a Session board. It seems like my best bet. I know I really *shouldn't* be relying on my JV-1000 for piano (lol), but it's my only other 76 key board besides the PC3 that is out of commission and I can't fit anything larger over here. I'm glad to hear the Session piano is actually that much of an improvement. Obviously there are better pianos now but it sounds about 80% of the way there, versus the 25% at best that the stock XP/JV piano has (IMO). I set Sonarworks to collapse to mono and it still sounded usable, so that is a plus. At least in comparison to the stock piano.

What a great marketing model for Roland to continue adding value to their instruments at that time. I collected and still have them all. And never had one explode. lol.

Agreed the Session had the best quality piano ...for that time. Also a pretty rhodes, nylon guitar, and some good brass. If it is your only keyboard at a cocktail gig or a pop cover band, that's what you need. But not with a rock band. The Keys of 60s/70s seems overpriced because it is highly sought after and a must for live blues/rock if you have no other option. With a good amp and Vent, it can compete with a Nord.. well perhaps an old Electro.

I could still play the wonderful strings for hours from the Orchestra cards, and I love the flutes, pads, and percussion of the Asia.

Lenny

I'm glad to hear the Session piano is actually that much of an improvement. Obviously there are better pianos now but it sounds about 80% of the way there, versus the 25% at best that the stock XP/JV piano has (IMO).

I used that Session piano for a few years in my XP50. It was excellent for its time, but imo its time has come and gone. It's a two-layer piano. Mind you, an expertly done two-layer piano, but that's it - two velocity layers. The Session was my first true stereo piano and I was stoked playing it through my two Mackie SRM450s.

I don't understand the nostalgia for these old rompler sounds but it's not my money. I had a fully loaded XP50 (it took four cards â I had the Session, Keys of the 60s & 70s, World and a fourth I can't remember!). I guess I feel the way I do because I was here for their first go around, used them for years, then moved on to multi-GB multi-velocity layer pianos. I have no warm and fuzzy feelings. And yea, the stock JV piano ("Nice Piano") was pretty horrendous.

What might sound strange is that I recently fired up my JV1010 module and found myself really enjoying some of the more synthy patches, not the acoustic instrument emulations. In an 20-year-old rompler!

BTW if you really want that Session card and can't find one, see if you can grab a used JV1010 - you'll get the Session card (it's built-in) PLUS all the stock JV sounds PLUS a slot for another card. I got mine years ago on Ebay for less than $200.

I bought a JV-1080 when they were first released. (Still have it and it works like new.)

Anyway, I eventually loaded it up with:

- Keyboards of the 60's & 70's

- World

- Vintage Synths

- Session

Those are all good boards to consider.

One of these days I'll probably sell it as my FA-07 covers all that and a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad to hear the Session piano is actually that much of an improvement. Obviously there are better pianos now but it sounds about 80% of the way there, versus the 25% at best that the stock XP/JV piano has (IMO).

I used that Session piano for a few years in my XP50. It was excellent for its time, but imo its time has come and gone. It's a two-layer piano. Mind you, an expertly done two-layer piano, but that's it - two velocity layers. The Session was my first true stereo piano and I was stoked playing it through my two Mackie SRM450s.

I don't understand the nostalgia for these old rompler sounds but it's not my money. I had a fully loaded XP50 (it took four cards â I had the Session, Keys of the 60s & 70s, World and a fourth I can't remember!). I guess I feel the way I do because I was here for their first go around, used them for years, then moved on to multi-GB multi-velocity layer pianos. I have no warm and fuzzy feelings. And yea, the stock JV piano ("Nice Piano") was pretty horrendous.

What might sound strange is that I recently fired up my JV1010 module and found myself really enjoying some of the more synthy patches, not the acoustic instrument emulations. In an 20-year-old rompler!

BTW if you really want that Session card and can't find one, see if you can grab a used JV1010 - you'll get the Session card (it's built-in) PLUS all the stock JV sounds PLUS a slot for another card. I got mine years ago on Ebay for less than $200.

I don't really have nostalgia for old pianos, it's more that I'd like a serviceable one in my JV-1000 since it's my only 76 right now and the regular one just about kills me lol. Ain't no nostalgia here!

I do actually also find the old Roland synth patches to be quite nice in many cases. Who would think, right?

I wouldn't bother getting a module with the Session board built in since I'm really just trying to beef up the one keyboard in one self-contained unit, but I do think for a box of sounds they aren't half bad. I still might consider a JV-2080 sometime or an XV-5080, but then again it would have such a limited usage for the price they go for.

I bought a JV-1080 when they were first released. (Still have it and it works like new.)

- World

- Vintage Synths

- Session

One of these days I'll probably sell it as my FA-07 covers all that and a lot more.

I'll keep an eye out ;).

I wouldn't bother getting a module with the Session board built in since I'm really just trying to beef up the one keyboard in one self-contained unit, but I do think for a box of sounds they aren't half bad. I still might consider a JV-2080 sometime or an XV-5080, but then again it would have such a limited usage for the price they go for.

Actually, the XV2020 you recommended in another thread here is an obvious choice for a small and not very expensive piece. The 2080 & 5080 are 2U full width rack boxes and probably around 2x the price of the XV2020. My half-rack JV1010 is a perfect "emergency box" and insurance for a gig. As I mentioned in that other thread, the 2020 seems to be selling for just a few more dollars than a 1010.

I do understand why you want just the Session card by itself now - good luck!

- World

- Vintage Synths

- Session

I was going to post these four. In fact, I think I still have them in a 2080.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I"d say Orchestral kind of holds up to this day or Session. Asia and World are good to consider too! I"ve never used a JV but am looking into Roland arrangers and some of them can load SR-JV cards iirc.

Know this stuff because video game composers and karaoke makers use JV-1080/2080 to this day. Speaking of which I watched a video from Indonesia in the 90"s with a live show and they were using a JV-80 and XP-50 with expansions. XP series are still seen often in South Asian bands as they are still popular with gigging artists over there.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

The JV1010 is still very reasonable, and it's small, easy to carry. Session onboard and will take one extra. I've the vintage synths and 1 orchestral. Very hard to tell the output from a 1080, but harder to tweak. Still everything is in there, and your JV1000 should make friends easy.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

You can't write the JV sounds off with a throw away "not as good as today" because in many cases they aren't available or the sounds are as good as you can get.

I use the Keys of 60's/&0's, Vintage Synth and Session still today in my rig via Fantom XR.

I also have a CD of all the sample sounds which was officially released by Roland :cool:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI