Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

miniKORG 700FS

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So apparently they've added patch storage, a second VCO (which I guess was on some models - I've never seen one)

Yes... the original model had the wood surface to the left of the keys, then they added an additional (not replacement) model that has those additional controls there for a second osillator, which of course addressed the criticism that the original could not sound "fat" (the drawback of any single oscillator synth). There was also the Maxi-Korg which was essentially two complete (one oscillator) Mini-korgs driven from one set of a keys (plus a bit extra), which was a more flexible way to get dual oscillator... though its filters were different from the Mini-Korg's.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Why do I have a feeling, this will sell out just like the ARP 2600 FS, and in no time. Wind up for sale on Reverb for a higher price, then what KORG is selling it for. Only because i am seeing the KORG ARP 2600, some never being used, but sold for an inflated price! Sometimes at three times the original price. Just because it was new and limited! Just saying! ;)

I may just get the reissue! It would be nice to have MIDI, spring reverb and aftertouch not to mention programmability.

I still have my 1973 MiniKorg. I got one for Christmas in 1976. I used it in my bands for 9 years. Here's a pic of it at a gig in 1981. It's sitting on top of a Farfisa Matador organ (that I put through a Mutron Phasor). To the left is my Roland MP600 electronic piano with our guitarist revising a songlist on it.

The controls underneath the keyboard worked well with it sitting on top of the organ. I'd put the MiniKorg through a Univox tape echo unit in those days.

http://flyboyfilms.tv/Ellsounds/Mark%20with%20Ells%20keys.jpg

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Interesting. There were many of these among Long Island club bands in the 1970s. The MiniKorg-700 was versatile and it enabled keyboard players to emulate sounds from Top 40 hits. Manfred Mann's "Blinded By The Light" was a big hit back then and the MiniKorg-700's portamento fit the bill.

Steve Coscia

Interesting. There were many of these among Long Island club bands in the 1970s. The MiniKorg-700 was versatile and it enabled keyboard players to emulate sounds from Top 40 hits. Manfred Mann's "Blinded By The Light" was a big hit back then and the MiniKorg-700's portamento fit the bill.

Agreed! It obviously worked fine for Cars covers but the "Chorus II" waveform (actually PWM) did a good mono string sound which through the echo box worked well for playing the Mellotron/string lines in Nights In White Satin for example. I'd do that and do a quick switch to a triangle wave for the flute part. It also did a decent sax sound for Year Of The Cat. Or synth trumpet for Only Time Will Tell. Very versatile indeed!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Everything that's under the keys.

Ah. Well those controls have to be where they are, or it wouldn't be authentic! ;-) Really, having had the original many years ago, I never found it to be an issue. In fact, I think front panel controls can be an advantage. If it's a top-tier board and you want to tweak with your left hand while playing with your right, your left hand doesn't have to reach so far away from you. Especially if you sit while playing, it can be awkward to operate controls that are behind the keys on a board that is placed on the high side. Of course, this board's design is also from an era where having 3 (or more) boards on stage was more common.

+1.

Still have mine, and I agree, when it"s top tier, the controls are in the right spot.

$2k though, I don"t think so.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• 6 months later...