Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Editing Crumar Mojo/ Module/Console etc.

Many of had seen that I posted for help with a Mojo module that did not come with an owners manual. I appreciate the help with that especially from Redkey who really helped me get started.

So there might be a lot to discuss regarding editing function...I am able to get around it pretty well now. There are some functions such as percussion drop out...and some functions on the Leslie sim that I am not sure what they do.

The module is pretty cool.Its neat to have so many organ samples...I am coming to terms with the Leslie sim a lot better than the Mojo 61 I tried 3 years ago. Having no edit screen was an issue.

Is this the first Mojo with a screen?

My wish list would be to substitute key click with percussion volume ala Legend 61

I have to say that so far the sound of this Is fabulous in many ways. It has great over drive and I like having the option of using different key beds.

OK...hoping to see some discussion particularly on Leslie sim settings etc.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I am going to have a convetsation with myself here...wasnt that a Bill Evans album?

The Leakage function us a no no for me because...it adds too much background him at almost any level.

Foldback on OFF is a huge thumbs up...gives you that all the way down bass of the BC model era.

Guess I will mess with key click a bit more...was listening to Jimmy Smith play The Sermon and there is so muck click and contact noise...its very cool ...havent heard a clone do that convincingly will have to experiment with no percussion settings.

Not sure if I have heard that anyone else has the Mojo module. I was lucky...git an open box buy saved a couple hundred. This seems well beyond the Mojo I heard a few years ago.

Go here:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/962387123793409/?ref=bookmarks

Go through some history postings, you'll probably need to go back a year in postings but several people have posted their various adjustments including leslie adjustments. This will help you get started rather than random tweaking.

Listen to the last 2 minutes of this video; seems Frank Montis has the leslie dialed in very well. Maybe he can share with you his leslie settings.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Is this the first Mojo with a screen?

They had an optional menu screen module for some of the earlier models... https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=32

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Go here:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/962387123793409/?ref=bookmarks

Go through some history postings, you'll probably need to go back a year in postings but several people have posted their various adjustments including leslie adjustments. This will help you get started rather than random tweaking.

Listen to the last 2 minutes of this video; seems Frank Montis has the leslie dialed in very well. Maybe he can share with you his leslie settings.

Nice Playing, guy has a great feel. .

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Not too much feedback here.

It just blows me away that there isn't more discussion on this.

From what I can tell this module has risen to a new level. I had a Mojo 61 from a few years ago and it was nothing like this.

Right now I am not using Leslie sim just jazz organ with CV and am flipping through various samples. Guido's level of dedication is coming through on this thing.

The organ cuts so nicely that you don't miss the contact effect. Went back to my B3...which I love...and the experience of the module leaves very little to be desired next to the real thing

Editing the sim makes me a little nuts though. Probably will play this through a Leslie if I can transfer to 1/4inch somehow...

Not too much feedback here.

It just blows me away that there isn't more discussion on this.

From what I can tell this module has risen to a new level. I had a Mojo 61 from a few years ago and it was nothing like this.

I've been assuming that the Mojo61 topic has pretty much run its course here... and there are a LOT of us that have one, or have had one. Isn't the module a Mojo61VB3 in a box? That said, it would be a major convenience to be able to edit on a dedicated screen. A major disadvantage would be not having a decent 9-drawbar, expression pedal-equipped controller with high trigger waterfall action. For all said and done, better to just buy a Mojo61.

So, not much discussion â my 2¢ anyway.

Here for the gear.

I had a Mojo 61 from a few years ago and it was nothing like this.

I wouldn't agree with this statement. If you read the release notes of the firmware updates on the Mojo most of the improvements were in the leslie area for which you aren't even using presently. Perhaps the Viscount has shaded your memory and perhaps what you are insinuating is that the VB3ii is closer to your hammond than the viscount, especially in the C/V area.

here are the changes to the Mojo in the past three years that were ORGAN/LESLIE related:

Version 1.3 - December 2017

- Added: New refinements to the Rotary effect algorithm with less resonances on the high frequencies, more defined bass response and wider sense of motion

Version 1.32 - July 2018

- Added: two new parameters for VB3-II in the "Other Settings" group, KeyClick Release and Bounce, that help you to adjust the amount of keyclick that is generated when a key is released and whenever a key "bounce" is intercepted

Version 1.40 - October 2018

- VB3: Improved the keyclick, the cross-talk, introduced the "complex crosstalk on upper manual"

- VB3: Improved the Rotary Speaker algorithm and added new parameters

- VB3: Extended rotation speed and ramp time ranges, and now displayed in actual Hz and Seconds

- VB3: Modified "OLD" resistor wire set to have a better drawbar balance on the top octave

- VB3: Added new resistor wire set that disables the foldback (Spinet style)

- Added option to use the sustain pedal to switch between the slow and fast rotary speeds in momentary mode too

- Added option to have the Pedal-to-Lower function in Split mode between the pedalboard and the lower manual

Complex crosstalk on upper manual; this is so subtle that I find it hard to actually hear it audibly.

keyclick is different

cross talk is different

the top octave drawbar balance

Nothing major on the organ side, two algorithm changes on the leslie side; most of the improvement is in the leslie area

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I've been assuming that the Mojo61 topic has pretty much run its course here... and there are a LOT of us that have one, or have had one.

or a Gemini, or the VST.

A major disadvantage would be not having a decent 9-drawbar, expression pedal-equipped controller with high trigger waterfall action. For all said and done, better to just buy a Mojo61.

or whatever you clone of choice is, because yes, it is still a different experience having the right kind of action and the controls well-located for performance, which is hard to do with a module and most boards you'd likely use it with. That said, a lot of people have a two-board rig that does most of what they want, and a dedicated clone that brings little to nothing else to the table would end up being a third board which is more than most want to deal with (heck, even two boards is more than many want to deal with), so a module has its place, and this looks like a nice option, especially if you have a board that allows you to place it reasonably well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been assuming that the Mojo61 topic has pretty much run its course here... and there are a LOT of us that have one, or have had one.

or a Gemini, or the VST.

A major disadvantage would be not having a decent 9-drawbar, expression pedal-equipped controller with high trigger waterfall action. For all said and done, better to just buy a Mojo61.

or whatever you clone of choice is, because yes, it is still a different experience having the right kind of action and the controls well-located for performance, which is hard to do with a module and most boards you'd likely use it with. That said, a lot of people have a two-board rig that does most of what they want, and a dedicated clone that brings little to nothing else to the table would end up being a third board which is more than most want to deal with (heck, even two boards is more than many want to deal with), so a module has its place, and this looks like a nice option, especially if you have a board that allows you to place it reasonably well.

Absolutely, yes. I was giving my take on perhaps why there isn't a lot of discussion for this topic â the OP was blown away that there isn't.

Here for the gear.

I may have to admit that I absolutely do not know if the module is different than the older 61.

Busted. May be wrong and will admit if I am.

How

ever...having an edit screen is a night and day difference. Does makes it easier for me to get to what I need

Blame it on the boss's nova....

Mojo Classic and 61's edit screen is an iPad.

Original Mojo 61 had monitor output and mouse input built in.

Gemini module's is a phone, a pad or anything that calls a web browser. I use to make adjustments in between sets at gigs but I have it dialed in now...

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The only reason why I don´t buy a MOJO, GEMINI product is because it needs a APPLE and/or Microsoft product to communicate / edit.

I hate that evolution and don´t like to be addicted to the internet to do something,- whatever it is.

In my age, I hope I die before I´m addicted to that behaviour.

Why in the world do I have to buy/ own ext. equipment to edit/ control a hardware instrument ?

When I buy a hardware instrument for someting thousand(s) bucks,- I wanna play,- and when I edit sounds to my liking,- even in depth,- I want to do it local and not in the web.

Everything sounding "tech progress" or "cool" isn´t at all.

It´s SHIT (!) and forces to buy additional f##k´in digital and unreliable gear.

All the smartphones and tablets are the last in line consumer electronics SHIT !

When I want an organ, synth or whatelse keyboard instrument,- it has to work out of the box and editing this machine has to work local as well,- every single parameter included.

I really hope it isn´t "just only me" !

A.C.

The module doesn't need anything additional to edit.

But yes...to have to hook up to a smartphone to edit the Mojo 61.. I couldn't handle that either. I went for the Viscount at that time.

I just couldn't get to what the Mojo offered before. I wanted a module and decided to try an open box Mojo module from Kraft. Glad I did. The module has a lot going for it.

The only reason why I don´t buy a MOJO, GEMINI product is because it needs a APPLE and/or Microsoft product to communicate / edit.

I hate that evolution and don´t like to be addicted to the internet to do something,- whatever it is.

No internet required. Heck, no Apple or Microsoft required because you can use Android as well. The Mojo 61 is a WiFi hub and the device (iPad, iPhone, Android, computer) solely needs to select the Mojo as its WiFi access point. No internet involved there. You just need a device that has a web browser and WiFi.

In fact, when I'm working with my Mojo 61 away from home, if I try to use my iPhone, I often have to turn off WiFi because it's trying to connect to the internet via the connection to the Mojo, which it cannot. I turn off Wifi on the iPhone and then I'm on that horrible internet with it like normal, and the Mojo isn't connected to anything. Except power and speakers! :D

However, like just about any modern keyboard, you would need to use the internet to download any software updates. You just use a computer to get the file and put it on a USB stick, then plug in the stick in the Mojo. But that's different.

Mojo Classic and 61's edit screen is an iPad.

Original Mojo 61 had monitor output and mouse input built in.

I think you have that mixed up. Mojo 61 only ever used the method I described above. The Classic models, those original dual manual ones, had the monitor and mouse connections.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This assumption that everything requires a computer or phone drives me nuts.

It's like a damn phone is supposed to be a part of your body. When I go out most of the time I leave the phone at home so I don't lose it. I never know what time it is because stores and businesses have stopped having clocks on the wall. Remember that? If you want to know what time it is you are SUPPOSED TO USE YOUR PHONE.

It's even happening to me. My phone is my only dependable friend during the pandemic.

I have named my phone WILSON based on the volleyball that Tom Hanks had in the movie Castaway . When I lose it I call.....Wilson...Wilson!.......

So yes. I had the Mojo 61 and I could not deal with that remote editing. Was not natural...so I had to return it. Half the time it wouldn't connect! Phone not high tech enough...geez...

Such a difference having an edit screen!

This assumption that everything requires a computer or phone drives me nuts....So yes. I had the Mojo 61 and I could not deal with that remote editing. Was not natural...so I had to return it....Such a difference having an edit screen!

I understand that. It just adds a bit of friction to an operation that you want to be frictionless. I have had the thought that the best way to address that could be to dedicate devices to functions. For example, in this case, if you left an smartphone/iPad "permanently" (e.g. velcro) attached to the Mojo 61, permanently set to the Mojo's wifi, it would essentially become that dedicated edit screen you want the device to have, and generally a better one than the module has (touchscreen, able to show more parameters at once). It may sound extravagant, but many people have old phones/i-devices around, or an older unit can be picked up inexpensively on eBay (the system requirements for their HTML-based editor are minimal, so an old one you could get for under $100 should do the trick.) The Mojo does have plenty of free panel space for it, assuming you don't need to stack another board on its back surface. It does require that you run another wire to keep it charged, though.

A BIT of friction?

How much does an iPad cost? I never had one.

Mate Stubb is saying that is what is needed to edit a Mojo...pre module.

Or perhaps I would need to get an old 100 dollar device?

So I am on gig...battery dies...and I need to edit because the house speakers I have to play through are way too shrill.

I got the Legend Live when faced with this.

How much does an iPad cost? I never had one.

Mate Stubb is saying that is what is needed to edit a Mojo...pre module.

Anything with a web browser works. (You don't need an actual internet connection, you just need to be able to run a web browser on the device.) So it can be an iPad, or an iPhone, or an Android smartphone, or an iPod Touch. The iPod Touch starts at $199 new, but there are plenty of used old models you can get on eBay, even under $20. (Though I'd probably look to get at least a 5th generation, which would put your price tag up at more like $50.)

So I am on gig...battery dies...and I need to edit because the house speakers I have to play through are way too shrill.

As I said, "It does require that you run another wire to keep it charged, though." Keep it plugged in, and the battery won't die.

A BIT of friction?

Not sure what you would edit at a gig for shrill, but my first grab would be the treble eq knob. All of the mojo variations I know of have physical eq controls. some 2 band some 3 band.

True. The go-to base organ sound with all the parameters adjusted would be decided on ahead of time (one ought to have an idea what kind of model, percussion loudness, C/V mixes, click volume/frequency, rotor/horn ramps, speeds etc) and the only thing left at the gig is EQ, which is on the front panel.

But to each their own!

Here for the gear.

I agree... virtually anything I'd want the editor for would be stuff I'd do at home, not at the gig. The controls most would need at the gig are on the board.

Put yourself in the position of the developer. He's trying to keep your cost down on purchase; he can embed a screen and connect which drives the cost of the unit up; or he provides a universal way for reaching the unit to do an edit. 99.9% of people have some sort of device already; so he kills two birds with one stone. I would like to see a Mojo Editor plug in myself but it is what it is. If you're in the .1% or don't like the solution; buy another product.... For the OP, the Mojo desktop has a screen; couldn't be an easier.....

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

No t everything I do would be edited at home

Percussion volume a huge issue for me. Through different speakers third harmonic can get fairly shrill. And it changes when the Leslie sim is added or subtracted.

What I can't figure out is why there is a knob for key click and not one for percussion volume on any Mojo.

If you are playing through any house speakers editing is essential. So when I saw that the Mojo module included it I decided to give the Mojo another chance.

I have percussion volume on my Hammond...as does Tony Monaco BTW on his new chop.

And no....I chose the Viscount over Mojo 61 .Three YEARS ago.Hate external editing.

It looks like I am now being given orders by Dave here about What to do..

So maybe I better back off from this forum altogether.The very reason I won't go near facebook.