Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC61 Announced

that's a good point, when I was doing my demo of blue3 i could not use any of the button or toggle switches on the YC to activate percussion or v/c. they send a blurb of sysex but nothing that vb3 or blue3 can recognise so you end up twisting a knob to switch on and off percussion which sucks.

as i mentioed before, if a sound section is disabled then the controls for that section no longer transmits midi data. for example, if you want to use the reverb knob to control reverb in the plugin then you also need to activate the reverb section witht the funky toggle switch. there is a setting in the menus to invert that behaviour so only disabled sections transmit control data., but it started getting too complicated for me.

hence why i recommended something like Oxygen 61 in previous post, it has 9 faders for drawbars, plenty of buttons and knobs to map to a useful amount of parameters in the plugin. of course, not waterfall action (there are no usb midi controllers with organ keys, except GSI thingy). i've had oxygens before and they have very light actions with rather shallow travel, so lets not get started on the trigger point thing again!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

yes, you can just toggle off, or turn down volume of the YC organ. You'd probably want to keep it on so that the drawbars are active for controlling the softsynth.

the beauty of the yc is everything built in, hands on controls, one knob per function design. turn it on, 2 seconds later you're playing.

so for me, adding all the inevitable hassle of connecting tablets running softsynths would ruin the experience & enjoyment and defeat the point of this board. the organs sounds great and the rotary is completely useable, you can tweak it to get close enough to where you want to be.

to each her own though!

if your plan is to mess around with ipads and softsynths anyway, just get an m-audio oxygen 61 instead :) Don't buy an expensive organ-centric keyboard if you don't plan on using the organ...!?

Yes I have to admit part of the reason why I have gone with the YC-61 is for the hands on control of the instrument and I'd much rather not use B3X on an iPad if I can avoid it. I agree the organ does sound very good in the demos and the YC61 can at least match my old XK-1 I will be very content to use the built in sounds. However, if I really don't get on with the rotary I could temporarily use B3X until Yamaha hopefully updates the rotary on the YC.

Also, I'm buying the YC61 because of the sheer amount of real time control you have over the sound and effects for live performance along with all the other voices and not just the Hammond.

Is it possible to turn off the built in organ in the YC61 and use B3X from the iPad instead? Also, would it be possible to layer the sounds of B3X with other sounds from the YC61 and save these as recallable live sets?

Yes... You'd set it up to play the internal and external organ sounds together, and then just turn the volume down on the internal one with that section's front knob, and then save the config as a Live Set.

There's some good info about this earlier in this thread, at posts #3072985 through #3072985 (December 5 through 7). Also pay attention to talking about using it to control HX3, the same concepts apply.

if your plan is to mess around with ipads and softsynths anyway, just get an m-audio oxygen 61 instead :) Don't buy an expensive organ-centric keyboard if you don't plan on using the organ...!?

Unfortunately, I have to disagree here. The reason I say "unfortunately" is that there are no soundless controllers that give you the quality organ controller an organ-centric keyboard does, and I've seen people wish there were! They will all lack one or more of the following (which admittedly some models with sounds lack as well)... waterfall keys, high trigger point, real drawbar controls that are properly sized and shaped (e.g. well suited for grabbing and manipulating a fistful at a time), buttons grouped to be logically set up for percussion and CV controls. Not all of these are important to every player... as I said, even some organ-centric boards fall short in one or more of these (and as discussed earlier, even the models with high trigger points don't necessarily employ them when used to control an external organ source). But to the extent that any of these are important to you, you're likely to find an organ-centric keyboard to provide a much more satisfying playing experience for an external organ sound than using a soundless controller would be. Strictly as an organ controller, my typical suggestion here would be the Numa Organ 2, which is the least expensive clonewheel that gives you all these features for triggering your organ sound from B-3X (or whatever). If budget isn't an issue, the Dexibell J7 Combo would be my favorites, since its motorized drawbars allow you to call up your B3X presets and have all your drawbars in the right place.

Another important consideration here is, what if you want to mix and match your organ sounds with other sounds, in real-time, with access to your controls for your other sounds? Even if I was content to run B3X from an Oxygen, what happens when I want to split/layer it with other sounds, or just switch among the sounds? The YC61 gives you all the sounds, and all the front panel controls to enable the different sounds in the different sections as needed, and even the controls to assign and manipulate the effects. If that's what you want to do, I can't imagine even attempting to do this on an Oxygen. You'd need to find and configure sources (other apps) for your non-organ sounds, do extensive mapping of the Oxygen's controls to even begin to approach the function/flexibility of the YC61's controls for sound selection/manipulation (as well as losing their associated displays), and... wait a minute, after you assign the drawbar functions, the Oxygen barely has any controls to map! But even if you chose a board with more controls, whatever you did manage to map still wouldn't have the logical control sizing/shaping/grouping/labeling for their functions that the YC does. That kind of dedicated control surface is a lot of why people prefer boards like the YC61 and the Nords in the first place (whether compared to controllers OR to workstation-style boards that have tons more features, but limited and more generic control surfaces).

So yeah, I'd say that if the YC61 gives you almost the entirety of the sounds and workflow you're looking for, and just wished the organ sounded like B-3X, then buying a YC61 and running B-3X is the way to get there.

Yes I've checked out the Numa Organ 2 and Dexibell J7 but much prefer the sound and workflow of the YC-61. Also, I would like to be able to split and/or layer other sounds easily in real time. I like how easy this is to do on the YC.

Is it possible to turn off the built in organ in the YC61 and use B3X from the iPad instead? Also, would it be possible to layer the sounds of B3X with other sounds from the YC61 and save these as recallable live sets?

Just a small note of caution here...the Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion switches on the YC only send sysex info so don't expect those to work as they do with the YC organ unless you use some kind of VST hosting program in between to translate the messages or you assign some other MIDI-sending knobs on the YC to somehow perform the task. I use Cantabile hosting the B3X on a Surface Pro.

Ah thanks for this. So does that mean the Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion switches cannot be set to send Midi? If not, could this be changed in a firmware update?

So does that mean the Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion switches cannot be set to send Midi? If not, could this be changed in a firmware update?

The switches send MIDI, but they send MIDI sysex instead of MIDI CC, and B3X (like most VSTs/apps) only recognize CC... which makes sense since CCs are designed to be inter-operable among different gear, and sysex is designed primarily to be specific to a particular device (or, literally, EXclusive to a particular SYStem, hence the name SysEx). It is suprising that Yamaha chose not to use CC commands for those functions. We don't know what is and is not changeable by Yamaha internally, but even if it is changeable, there's no assurance that they will do so. I did make that suggestion on ideascale https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/ideas/recent/campaign-filter/byids/campaigns/24865/stage/unspecified - it's listed as "Have buttons (e.g. percussion, CV) send MIDI CC" so you can up-vote that to express your support for the feature.

But as counterpoint said, since B-3X needs to be runnning on a tablet/computer anyway, you could use another app to do the necessary sysex-CC conversion. He mentioned Cantabile if you're using a PC. On an iPad, you could use Keystage (I saw a video of someone using Keystage to change the sysex of the drawbars on the Roland VR-09 into the CCs that B3X needs, that same approach would work here). It does unfortunately add some initial complication, but once you set it up, it should work fine. Hopefully, you're also using Cantabile/Keystage for other purposes, so you're not consuming the resources for running a whole other app just to do this!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

that's a good point, when I was doing my demo of blue3 i could not use any of the button or toggle switches on the YC to activate percussion or v/c. they send a blurb of sysex but nothing that vb3 or blue3 can recognise so you end up twisting a knob to switch on and off percussion which sucks

Yeah... there are other multi-function organ-centric boards where these buttons do send CC. On the YC61, unfortunately, you would have to use the Cantabile/Keystage type of workaround described in the previous post.

I am hopeful about the forthcoming SK Pro in this regard, because I think all the past SK and XK Hammonds have sent MIDI CCs from those controls. (ETA: Wrong, see later post.) I think the Nords and Dexibell do, as well. As do the clonewheels from Numa, Crumar, and Viscount, I believe.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ugh. I wish these manufacturers would stop doing the sysex thing on controls that would be very useful for general midi use. Roland drawbars--but only on some keyboards, which is the truly head-scratching part--come to mind.

Speaking of B-3X and Yamaha, I just really dug in to getting my Modx to play B-3X. I still haven't gotten into master zone stuff--which is what I ultimately would need for gigging--but it's just really easy to get the ipad right into the modx. B-3X is astoundingly good to my ear, the best hammond sound I've ever heard from either software or hardware (not that I've played everything). The Modx doesn't have all the controllers I'd want (doing all drawbars in particular from one set of sliders would be nice) but it's easy enough to map what is available.

Off topic I realize, but I wonder a bit why IK multimedia doesn't make a "keyboard". They make controllers and various synths and organs, put 'em together :) I'm sure they would if they felt it would make them money.

that's a good point, when I was doing my demo of blue3 i could not use any of the button or toggle switches on the YC to activate percussion or v/c. they send a blurb of sysex but nothing that vb3 or blue3 can recognise so you end up twisting a knob to switch on and off percussion which sucks

Yeah... there are other multi-function organ-centric boards where these buttons do send CC. On the YC61, unfortunately, you would have to use the Cantabile/Keystage type of workaround described in the previous post.

I am hopeful about the forthcoming SK Pro in this regard, because I think all the past SK and XK Hammonds have sent MIDI CCs from those controls. I think the Nords and Dexibell do, as well. As do the clonewheels from Numa, Crumar, and Viscount, I believe.

No, unfortunately the SKs and XK5 only send MidiCC on the drawbars. For the Buttons they use "wiered" NRPN ! The old XK3 used NRPN on the drawbars too.

That caused some trouble in creating the HX3 Controlmaps in the past..... AND Hammond changed that from mode to model..... Who knows what the SK Pro will send out.

The SK pro looks great on the hammond side but the more I listen to the demos I have to say the the "other sounds" are on 90s Rompler niveau.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Yes B3X is really good. The best software Hammond/Rotary sounds I've heard to date are :-

1/ Acoustic Samples B5 V3

2/ IK B3X

3/ GG Audio Blue 3

4/ VB3 II

They are all really good sounding Hammond emulations. B5 V3 is the closest I've heard to playing through the old A100 and L122 I used to play. B3X comes a close second and Blue3 is not far off these two as well. I prefer all three of these quite a bit more than VB3 II (though this is still a good sounding organ vst!).

I've managed to map other controls on the YC61 to handle things like percussion, chorus vibrato and reverb on B3X and of course the drawbars send CC#s. It works well and will tide me over until Yamaha gets their act together on the rotary sim.....

No, unfortunately the SKs and XK5 only send MidiCC on the drawbars. For the Buttons they use "wiered" NRPN ! The old XK3 used NRPN on the drawbars too.

That caused some trouble in creating the HX3 Controlmaps in the past..... AND Hammond changed that from mode to model..... Who knows what the SK Pro will send out.

Thanks for that correction!

The SK pro looks great on the hammond side but the more I listen to the demos I have to say the the "other sounds" are on 90s Rompler niveau.....

Yeah, I expect the YC61 to still have the edge on most sounds other than organ and mono synth. Though it may be closer on the EPs. And it looks like the Hammond will have more sheer variety. YC61 has 139 non-organ voices in it (maybe a bit more with the new update), SK Pro has 300 sample-based plus 100 synth programs... and unlike in the YC, they are all fully editable.

If we're at the stage of comparing the YC61 and SKPro as controllers to augment their shortcomings, I'd take the Yamaha any day for having to control just one app â B-3X â which ironically mitigates the Hammond, requiring at least three apps (thinking Ravenscroft, Neo-Soul Keys 2, take your pick of synths).

I'm still shaking my head over the fact that in 2021 we're still talking about spending our hardly-earned dollars for "close but."

Does this sound too negative? Sheesh.

Here for the gear.

If we're at the stage of comparing the YC61 and SKPro as controllers to augment their shortcomings, I'd take the Yamaha any day for having to control just one app â B-3X â which ironically mitigates the Hammond, requiring at least three apps (thinking Ravenscroft, Neo-Soul Keys 2, take your pick of synths).

Once you're going to integrate external sounds at all, I'd probably focus more on functionality than sounds. The first app is the hardest. Once you've done that, adding another one or two probably won't be a big deal (" * some restrictions apply"). But when it comes to the non-sound related aspects (interface, ergonomics, action, etc.), that's a harder thing to compensate for. Unlike the sounds, you're largely stuck with the board as it is.

Once you're going to integrate external sounds at all, I'd probably focus more on functionality than sounds. The first app is the app is the hardest. Once you've done that, adding another one or two probably won't be a big deal (" * some restrictions apply"). But when it comes to the non-sound related aspects (interface, ergonomics, action, etc.), that's a harder thing to compensate for. Unlike the sounds, you're largely stuck with the board as it is.

Absolutely! I have taken this into account, but no point in getting into it. Yamaha for the win on all counts, only by my preferences of course. :)

Here for the gear.

My YC61 arrived earlier today and I"ve been playing it for a few hours through some Beyer DT880 headphones and am really enjoying this keyboard a lot! I can"t put it down and stop playing it.

The keybed completely exceeded my expectations and I find it really lovely to play. I say that as a person who generally can"t stand any key beds that are non hammer action and fully weighted. I"m surprised how easy it is to switch from playing really expressive piano pieces to playing organ. Sure the key trigger for the organ would be better if it was a little higher but to be honest I could happily live with how it is.

This keyboard is really fun to use. I love how hands on this instrument is and the workflow is so intuitive and easy to navigate.

On first impressions there are some wonderful sounding voices on this keyboard and the organ sounds great.

My only niggle so far is the rotary. Whilst it"s far from being awful the woofer is hard to make out? I can clearly hear the horn spinning but would like to have been able to hear both speakers. Also, I feel the rotary would benefit from width and mic placement controls.

I"m going to compare the YC to my XK1 over the next couple of days to hear how the rotary on both keyboards sounds.

Yes, it has one of the best semi-weighted actions I've played for being able to play piano with decent expressivity. Not counting ones where I swapped in different springs, of what I've played, the only stock action I liked better was the Vox Continental.

Yeah, the two biggest issues on the rotary are probably that you can barely make out the effect on the low rotor; and the high rotor on fast (at least without CV) sounds squirrly.

Off topic I realize, but I wonder a bit why IK multimedia doesn't make a "keyboard". They make controllers and various synths and organs, put 'em together :) I'm sure they would if they felt it would make them money.

They have taken a step in that direction with the analog Uno synths. But the thing about all their software sounds is that they need an OS to run on. Right now, OS X/Windows/iOS do all the heavy lifting. IK wouldn't be able to combine their soft synths/organs with their controllers without some significant something-else in the middle. Unless they want to build in a computer (a la Muse Receptor or Kronos), a keyboard manufacturer typically uses an embedded RTOS system... and if they go that route, I'm not sure any of their existing code would be useful. So rather than combining what they already have, they would kind of be starting from scratch. At least, that's my understanding of these things.

[they need an OS to run on. Right now, OS X/Windows/iOS do all the heavy lifting. IK wouldn't be able to combine their soft synths/organs with their controllers without some significant something-else in the middle. Unless they want to build in a computer (a la Muse Receptor or Kronos), a keyboard manufacturer typically uses an embedded RTOS system... and if they go that route, I'm not sure any of their existing code would be useful. So rather than combining what they already have, they would kind of be starting from scratch. At least, that's my understanding of these things.
An embedded Raspberry Pi (like in the WaveState) might be a sensible approach - if they're interested in going that way.

Cheers, Mike.

An embedded Raspberry Pi (like in the WaveState) might be a sensible approach - if they're interested in going that way.
Possibly... but what's involved in getting their existing code to run on that platform? Beats me. Also, a lot of their sample-based stuff needs quite a lot of storage, IIRC, and even on a computer, can involve substantial waits when changing patches... the kind of thing people are accustomed to in a PC environment (at least until they optimize a particular setup for the exact patches they need)... but something that I think would be unacceptable in a self-contained keyboard. (Though again, I'm really talking from the edge of my knowledge here.)

Is it possible to set the range of the notes for Keys A and Keys B?

For example, I"m playing the CFX piano in Keys A and have the Analog Pad layered in Keys B but I don"t want the pad to play beyond C6. Is it possible to do this in the YC?

Yes, I believe there is one split point (for internal sounds), but the Keys A and Keys B sounds can each be set to play on just the lower part of the split, or just the upper part, or on both parts. So you'd set Keys A (CFX) to play on both sides of the split, and Keys B (Pad) to plkay on just one part of the split (stopping at C6).

Is it possible to set the range of the notes for Keys A and Keys B?

For example, I"m playing the CFX piano in Keys A and have the Analog Pad layered in Keys B but I don"t want the pad to play beyond C6. Is it possible to do this in the YC?

Yes, I believe there is one split point (for internal sounds), but the Keys A and Keys B sounds can each be set to play on just the lower part of the split, or just the upper part, or on both parts. So you'd set Keys A (CFX) to play on both sides of the split, and Keys B (Pad) to plkay on just one part of the split (stopping at C6).

Hi,

Tried how to find how to do this but can only find how to split upper and lower sound? How do I assign Keys A to play full range and Keys B to play full range but stop at C6? Is it also possible to change the lowest note keys B plays on?

Tried how to find how to do this but can only find how to split upper and lower sound? How do I assign Keys A to play full range and Keys B to play full range but stop at C6? Is it also possible to change the lowest note keys B plays on?

1) Where it says "Split" above the Keys A on/off toggle, there is the L/R button. This button has three options...Left (of the split) only, Right (of the split) only and both...which means that section plays over the entire keybed. Set the split point at C6, when Keys A is "active", make sure L and R are both lit. Switch over to Keys B and make sure only "L" is lit.

2) No, you can only have one split point for internal sounds.

1) Where it says "Split" above the Keys A on/off toggle, there is the L/R button. This button has three options...Left (of the split) only, Right (of the split) only and both...which means that section plays over the entire keybed. Set the split point at C6, when Keys A is "active", make sure L and R are both lit. Switch over to Keys B and make sure only "L" is lit.

2) No, you can only have one split point for internal sounds.

Thanks. That works a treat!

Ok I've been doing a lot of comparisons with my YC61 and my old Hammond XK1.

The overall build quality of the YC is FAR superior to the XK and it's much smaller and almost half the weight. This is a big plus for portability. Also, the metal parts of the chassis have rusted on the XK and this is the first time I've ever experienced this with any keyboard!!??

The action of both keybeds are quite different to play. They pretty much have the same trigger point but the XK is noticeably lighter and feels more plasticky. I feel the XK maybe has a slightly faster response but there's really hardly anything in it.

In terms of the actual core organ sound, the YC has the edge but the rotary on the XK is noticeably better! The XK has a lot more scope of customizing the sound of the organ and rotary which I wish the YC had. When it comes to additional features and sounds it's not really comparable. The YC has tons more sounds and features and the non organ sounds are a huge step up in quality!

Overall I love the YC. I think it's a wonderful keyboard and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. However, there are a few things I feel are missing with the YC and I've posted these on the Yamaha IdeaScale site :-

-1: Update the rotary!! As good as the YC is, the rotary is the weakest point! I'm surprised Yamaha released a keyboard that has such a strong organ focus with this really weak rotary emulation!?

-2: Add the additional missing Clavinet pickup samples

-3: The basic tone of the piano's are really good but they are missing things like proper sympathetic resonance, adjustable hammer and pedal noise etc.

-4: The percussion could do with having adjustable soft and normal levels as it is possible to mod this on a real Hammond

-5: Have additional downloadable and swappable sample libraries. The YC comes with a good set of some bread and butter sounds but there is a lot of other sounds that would be extremely useful. It would be wonderful if we could download samples from the Montage/MODx lines and choose to remove sounds from the YC we don't use. I'd also LOVE to have a premium piano from one of their flagship digital pianos!

The YC seems to be in direct competition with the Nord's which have all these features already and I personally think if these things were added in future firmware updates, the YC would be a Nord beater!!

However, there are a few things I feel are missing with the YC and I've posted these on the Yamaha IdeaScale site :-

-1: Update the rotary!! As good as the YC is, the rotary is the weakest point! I'm surprised Yamaha released a keyboard that has such a strong organ focus with this really weak rotary emulation!?

-2: Add the additional missing Clavinet pickup samples

-3: The basic tone of the piano's are really good but they are missing things like proper sympathetic resonance, adjustable hammer and pedal noise etc.

-4: The percussion could do with having adjustable soft and normal levels as it is possible to mod this on a real Hammond

-5: Have additional downloadable and swappable sample libraries. The YC comes with a good set of some bread and butter sounds but there is a lot of other sounds that would be extremely useful. It would be wonderful if we could download samples from the Montage/MODx lines and choose to remove sounds from the YC we don't use. I'd also LOVE to have a premium piano from one of their flagship digital pianos!

The YC seems to be in direct competition with the Nord's which have all these features already and I personally think if these things were added in future firmware updates, the YC would be a Nord beater!!

Most of those are a medium-to-substantial effort (perhaps 4 is the most straightforward). I think two (easy) changes would make the YC much more tempting:

- High trigger

- Mono split L/R organ vs everything else.

Cheers, Mike.

Most of those are a medium-to-substantial effort (perhaps 4 is the most straightforward). I think two (easy) changes would make the YC much more tempting:

- High trigger

I think #2 would be the easiest (clavinet sounds with the other pickup settings) because they are merely a matter of loading in new sampled sounds, which seems to be something Yamaha is supporting on the YC (though at some point, they will run out of room).

High trigger is not necessarily easy, for reasons I touched on in post #3080651 in a different context. But similar to the Electro and VR09 I commented on there, the YC61 puts all its internal sounds on a single MIDI channel, which could complicate, say, a layer of a high trigger organ and a low trigger piano (MIDI can't trigger two sounds from the same key on the same channel at two different times), which would complicate a high trigger option. Also, the YC61 has an unusual action in that it has a higher resistance toward the top which falls away as you push the key down beyond a certain point. The location of the top sensor is fixed, and depending on where it falls in the key's travel, it may or may not be a great point to be triggering sound from. All I'm saying here is, while it may well be perfectly do-able, it's also possible that implementing high trigger is not as easy as one might think.

Similarly, L/R mono split, while do-able, also introduces compications, in that you have to deal with how to handle stereo effects (or tell users not to use stereo effects when operating in a dual mono mode). So again, I would not assume it is a no-brainer to implement.

- High trigger

Cheers, Mike.

The High Trigger point for the organ sounds would be great but can imagine as AnotherScott mentioned would be tricky to implement (if even possible?). Maybe this feature could be added purely for solo organ playing and not when layer sounds? However, I don't know if this would actually be possible?

I think #2 would be the easiest (clavinet sounds with the other pickup settings) because they are merely a matter of loading in new sampled sounds, which seems to be something Yamaha is supporting on the YC (though at some point, they will run out of room).

Yes I would expect this to be the other easier option as Yamaha have already added new sounds with the v1.1 firmware update. As you say though, the YC will run out of room which is why I would love to be able to remove some sounds to create space for others "if" Yamaha keep expanding downloadable sound content. Are the clavinets on the YC new samples or are they from the Montage/MODX? If they are from those existing ranges I would have thought that it would then be possible to continue to make other sounds from these keyboards available for download? The Montage and MODX already have a vast amount of great sounding samples so that part is already sorted. If these were made available to download it would make the YC a lot more competitive with Nord.

To be totally honest though, the only feature that Yamaha could really do with sorting out is the rotary! I could easily live without all the other suggestions but as the YC seems to be pitched against the Nord, I feel Yamaha are falling short in these areas compared to the competition!?