Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg debuts miniKORG 700 FS

I still have the original MiniKorg 700 (without the 2nd oscillator and ring mod) but this looked interesting. What's next? A Polysix reissue?

Didn't see a thread specifically devoted to this although it may have been mentioned in the NAMM thread along with other items.

Korg debuts MiniKorg 700 FS

Korg-miniKorg-700-FS-770x425.jpg

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can safely say I would never have predicted something that looked like that would be released in the year 2021 :)

Certainly gets points for thinking outside the box. I'm not familiar with the original if this was based on something. My buddy is going to flip, he's always talking about covering his modern gear with covers and cases to make them look vintage :D

Polysix...I remember as a kid walking into the music store and just staring at one of those with a slack jaw. That was probably the first real synth I had ever seen, it was like a UFO had landed. My "axe" in those days was a small Casio with one speaker on it so you can imagine my awe of that Korg.

I can safely say I would never have predicted something that looked like that would be released in the year 2021 :)

It was a shock to me too! The original MiniKorg was my very first synth that I got for Christmas in 1976. It was already 3 years old at that point.

Certainly gets points for thinking outside the box. I'm not familiar with the original if this was based on something. My buddy is going to flip, he's always talking about covering his modern gear with covers and cases to make them look vintage :D

I hear ya! Vintage is so in now. But the original looks very much the same with the controls beneath the keyboard. There was an update adding the 2nd oscillator and ring modulation to a model the following year (the 700S in 1974) which is what this new reissue is emulating. But of course the new version is adding MIDI, spring reverb and programmability. And aftertouch!

The MiniKorg was used by Kitaro and Greg Hawkes of The Cars.

Polysix...I remember as a kid walking into the music store and just staring at one of those with a slack jaw. That was probably the first real synth I had ever seen, it was like a UFO had landed. My "axe" in those days was a small Casio with one speaker on it so you can imagine my awe of that Korg.

Yes, I saw one in the store too and felt the same way - more affordable than a Prophet 5! But I got one used for $600 2 years later and loved it. I still have it and used it with my MiniKorg at gigs along with a Roland MP600 electronic piano (64 keys with velocity and 5 band EQ) back in the mid-1980s..

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I traded a Roland SH-1000 for a MiniKorg in 1977 or so, just before the first Cars album came out. I miss it, and I think the reissue really captured the essence but with very needed additions. Not sure it's worth it to me at the price, but I still may consider?

Hi there,

We actually already have a thread going! Here is the original thread on the miniKorg reissue. If we can move discussion over there it will be more helpful as everything will be in one place. That one's already two pages. :)

miniKORG 700FS

Thanks all,

Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments